1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Show us what's in your survival kit.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by cgusek111, Aug 20, 2007.

1. cgusek111

cgusek111 Banned BANNED

Aug 13, 2007
    Show and compare with others what is in your survival kit.

2. ROCK6

ROCK6 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Sorry, can't post any photo's from here in Iraq (can't even access my own Photobucket account:grumpy:))

However, I have a couple survival kit "layers". First is just a small PSK I carry in a pouch on my belt...it's in the small of my back in flat pouch. I did base most of my kit of Doug Ritter's excellent little kit. Contents:

Safety pins (2 lg, 2 sm)
    Needles (4)
    Small spool of Spiderwire fishing line
    Small signal mirror
    Small whistle
    Small LED light (Inova's Microlight)
    Sparklight striker
    Tinder (4 of the Sparklite tinder bundles)
    Fresnel lens
    Mini Bic lighter
    Small pencil and a couple of small notecards (waterproof ones)
    Razor blade
    Tin foil (about 1X1 foot square)
    Utility wire (about 8 feet, not sure of the guage...Army trip wire)
    Nylon cord (550 cord inner string) about 30 feet
    Button compass (it sucks, but is just a back up to my EDC)
    Small role of duct tape

Now, I know this doesn't cover all the basics and I have some changes planned when I redeploy. I have those really small vials that hold about a dozen Potable Aqua tablets that will replace the duct tape role. I carry a flat role of duct / 100mph tape in my back pocket as part of my EDC (about 12 feet), so that'll make room for the water purification.

I also thought about sticking my small Gerber LST in the kit, but I think the razor blade is a good backup to my current EDC, so it's not a necessity.

I have a Fenix LOD (single AAA flashlight) that may replace the Microlight. Now that their are AAA lithium batteries, corrosion is less of a concern. Additionally, it is a rotate-on activated light, so there's less chance of it getting turned on accidently (that happens a lot with the Microlights).

I already carry a small IFAK in my lower left leg ACU pocket, so I'm covered for the minor injuries.

Now, I said it was a layer concept, so, here in Iraq, anytime you're outside working or I'm traveling to another FOB, a Camelback is mandatory in our unit. So, I'm using a Talon model with an additional outer pocket. Along with the water bladder, I have:

MSR MIOX purifier
    Cravat (several uses)
    More 550 cord
    2 large contractor garbage bags
    Slightely larger IFAC w/ field compress (we carry a robust IFAK on our IBA)
    Extra batteries (3V and AAA)
    Carbiner
    Couple of granola bars
    Compass

My EDC is pretty robust (fixed blade, couple of folders, Leatherman, SAK Outrider, M9 and M4 when traveling), including a wrist compass, hat, gloves, mini IFAK, Bic Lighter, mini-DMT sharpener, Novatac 120EDC LED (great light BTW) and a small ferro-rod.

Water, shelter and self-defense are my priorities here.

ROCK6

3. BlairB

BlairB Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2002
    In my Maxpedition Jumbo S-type:

Sil-poncho
    N95 respirator
    Swedish Army firesteel
    Wetfire tinders
    space blanket
    Pat Crawford Kaspar neck knife
    Leatherman Juice KF-4
    Nalgene bottle
    steel cup
    Altoids tin with fishing kit, sewing kit, wire saw, 550 cord, safty pins, etc
    more 550 cord
    Bic lighter
    Surfire G2
    2 Cliff bars
    nomex gloves
    Israeli dressing
    shooting glasses
    zip ties
    hanky
    boonie hat
    rain jacket

I have room for other stuff too if the weather or situation dictates:
    Handgun + ammo
    neck gaiter
    socks
    radio

4. JackBauer24

JackBauer24

Mar 13, 2006
    Man that's cool. Do you ever catch crap for having all that stuff?
    What is your job? What types of situations do you see yourself in the most? I'm just asking because most of the soldiers I talk to aren't really gear guys so when I get a chance to talk to one of you guys that is I have a lot of questions.

5. troutfisher13111

troutfisher13111 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Just posted this yestesday in another post, but here it is again

[​IMG]

At the top is the pouch I carry it in, HD tin foil, water purifying tablets, and a HD plastic bag cut down and marked at 1 liter.

The next row has 12 ft. para cord over top of a AMK heatsheet space blanket, a small first aid kit, and a surefire E2O.

Next row a small plastic pouch which contains a small magnesium fire starter, 25 waterproof matches and 2 strikers, a plastic case (which contains 4 safety pins, 3 HD sewing needles, and two scalpel blades), 4 tinder quick tabs, and a small bobbin of HD nylon thread. Next is a pill container with 10 petroleum soaked cotton balls, a Fox micro 40 whistle, and a small signal mirror on top of its homemade felt pouch.

Oh yeah, I also added a small Silva compass.

The whole kit is on top of a camo bandanna that gets folded up and goes in the kit as well. Since the pic has been taken, I replaced the Surefire with a Gerber ultra infinity, and the small mag. bar with a full sized Doan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. DaleW

DaleW

Dec 22, 2006
    [​IMG]

7. troutfisher13111

troutfisher13111 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Nice, and a good point.

8. ROCK6

Feb 8, 2004
    I'm just a big believer in being prepared at all times. I fly to a lot of outsites and it's over some pretty sparse terrain. To be honest, the CSAR guys would be pretty quick at reacting to downed flights, but it doesn't hurt to have and not need than need and not have. If you practice or carry it everday, it becomes habit. The majority of Soldiers are not different than the average joe-citizen. Most feel that there's a security blanket for them. I've seen a few situations otherwise over the past 19 years.

Hey DaleW, most people that have that can't even get water out of it if they squeeze it:D

ROCK6

9. znode

znode

May 4, 2007
    Good for tanning :).

10. nick-nack

nick-nack

Dec 14, 2006
    IM lucky - mine came pretty small.

11. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    [​IMG]
    And here are the contents laid out alongside my old bag...
    [​IMG]
    And inside my Fire Kit...
    [​IMG]

12. DaleW

DaleW

Dec 22, 2006
    Nicely organized kit. I like the way you used the container. I have one I've used for a beach wallet, but I never thought of putting fire stuff in one :thumbup:

13. led4them

led4them

Jul 11, 2007
    And thank you for your service, I assume you were at Hood before deployment? I was 62nd Eng in late 70's, is Copperas Cove still a big speedtrap?

14. ROCK6

Feb 8, 2004
    Yeah Cove is still a trap, but Killeen has exploded. It's not too bad considering the cost-of-living. The area kind of grows on you, but I miss the evergreens and mountains!

ROCK6

15. swedishdwarf

swedishdwarf

Jun 6, 2007
    Pretty much the same stuff you guys are carrying, plus:

In case my fat ass has to walk a long way:
    24x Powerbar
    1x Crying towel

My self defense kit:
    1x Surrendering flag
    2x Groveling kneepads
    1x Picture of cute sister I'd be happy to introduce you to

16. nephildevil

nephildevil Banned BANNED

Apr 30, 2007
    it seems i better go make a new psk

i think i lost it this weekend somewhere in the city in a bar!! :eek:

17. nephildevil

nephildevil Banned BANNED

Apr 30, 2007
    ahh joy!

i just found it in my bathroomm sumwhere under a bunch of dirty underwear!!

:D

18. Stryker D

Stryker D

Aug 6, 2007
    Nice kits! But PLEASE pack them in a coffee tin or something strong that you can boil water in.

19. runningboar

runningboar

May 27, 2006
    Sorry but a coffee can doesn't fit in my pocket. Chris

20. led4them

led4them

Jul 11, 2007
    Killeen was a strip of pawnshops running from the gate with a few junk food places scattered in. All the "leech towns" around base the way I remember it the civies used to treat us Troops like we were dogsh*t then, sure hope that has changed for you all now.
    Does Lake Travis still have a nude area? It used to be called Hippy Hollow and it was off limits, but we flew over in a CH47 once.
    I know what you mean about the scrub at Hood, nothing beats a tall forest.