1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

SHTF knife

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by MIGUY, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Dacus_Nomadic

Dacus_Nomadic

Jan 3, 2014
    OK, first of all, he says he's a big guy, so i'm pretty sure he can handle a junglas and be nimble with it. Second of all, I don't see you calling out the other people who suggested a Junglas as well. And third, a Junglas will literally do anything you want it to do. If you think you can't take off someone's arm with it, you have a few screws loose.

2. mainaman

mainaman

Mar 14, 2009
    Junglas is all purpose survival knife, not a fighter. It was designed for camping and general bushcrafting duties, if you have proof that it was a fighter please share.
    I do not care how big a guy is, if one has not straining with good stamina and strength and explosiveness a 23oz knife gets very heavy very fast when swinging. Remember when fighting the other dude is not sitting still waiting to be hit and the swings are not straight up and down motion. 10" length is 2-3" longer than what is need to be able to quickly strike at an opponent.

3. GronK

GronK Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Just figured out what "SHTF" means. I think I'll forego the knife and buy a nice large poncho and a facemask and maybe a high tech gizmo that detects the "plop" sound and flips the face mask down.

4. Dacus_Nomadic

Dacus_Nomadic

Jan 3, 2014
    I'm sorry, but i'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I have used a Junglas and have never gotten tired from swinging it. Then again, I am a large man, who is in peak physical condition. For a smaller person who lacks physical conditioning, I can imagine that many factors would affect their utility with a heavier knife. I'm not trying to start an argument or bash anyone's philosophy on knives in the least, but I am trying to state that I would trust myself with one in a SHTF situation.

5. edh3007

edh3007

Sep 26, 2014
    ++1
    Becker BK10

6. Forgedfixedblade

Forgedfixedblade

Jul 10, 2014
    SP50 or SP51 by Ontario, you could de-limb a foe with either of those.

7. dejard

dejard

Oct 10, 2014
    The Survival Mom has a blog post titled, "3 Herbs for SHTF Hygiene." I though that was an odd sort of thing to blog about. If you're really concerned about proper hygiene, a good initial step is to avoid throwing shit at a fan or those who would. I mean using herbs at that point is bit hopeless.

8. fielder

fielder

Jan 25, 2011
    For a fighting / utility blade, try the Spartan Harsey Difensa, it is made for your purpose.

9. MIGUY

MIGUY

Jun 27, 2014
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, looking at all these knives, there are obviously many price points... From a $50 ontario or cold steel, to the $400 spartan just reccomended... The Ontario being 1095 carbon steel, do other knives have better steel? Better heat treat? Is there that much difference between different carbon steels?

10. Fuori

Fuori

Oct 13, 2014
    You'll always find something better, but the new Ontario Spec 2 line has a very good heat treat and good steel especially for the price. The sheath isn't a problem on the SP50, but is on the SP46.

11. MIGUY

MIGUY

Jun 27, 2014
    Anyone have experience with the Ka-Bar bull Dozier? Or the BK7, a bit smaller than the BK9?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  12. Fish Boy

Fish Boy

Aug 2, 2014
    Superior choice.

[​IMG]

13. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2000
    Those have been known to have worked for a few years :)

14. MIGUY

MIGUY

Jun 27, 2014
    Thanks for all your help guys, I got a $30 gift certificate for Amazon as part of Christmas, so I ended up ordering a bk9 and it should be here the 30th! Thanks for all your help!

15. Mountain Wildman

Mountain Wildman

Aug 29, 2010
    Good choice!!

16. GingivitisKahn

GingivitisKahn

Jun 8, 2010
    Until it arrives, please feel free to marvel at this one...

[​IMG]

---

Beckerhead #42

17. Brigadier

Brigadier

Nov 2, 2000
    TOPS Tahoma Field Knife. It will fill ALL roles well, even a fighter.

[​IMG]

18. manowar669

manowar669

Oct 1, 2002
    I think I'd go with a Kabar. Better yet the bayo versions, so you might attach it to your rifle. Why a knife when could have a spear?

19. Divo

Divo

Sep 20, 2014
    Buy a tomahawk.

20. MIGUY

MIGUY

Jun 27, 2014
    Actually already have one :) I've got the CRKT Kangee