Skeleton knives.....

Quite possibly. Besides the cold and/or wet "skeleton" my other problem with skeletonized is that "turning" you mentioned. The extra width and roundness of a "non-skeleton" keeps them from rotating in my hand on me.

It's a moot point anyway. That knife costs more than a lionsteel with lovely olive handles and m390 steel. I'm out.

I consider any knife skeletonized when it has no handles or scales.
ORLY!

So this knife is not skeletonized?:)

7BH6x52.jpg

Quite possibly. Besides the cold and/or wet "skeleton" my other problem with skeletonized is that "turning" you mentioned. The extra width and roundness of a "non-skeleton" keeps them from rotating in my hand on me.

Rotate this!
rOEBJ0O.jpg

On a serious note; this blocky knife has the width of a knife with scales. It wont turn in your hand.

Its the German Expedition Knife mentioned in a previous post in this thread.

Neither skeletonized knives nor Skelton knives are overly popular on this forum. The latter with good reason. Pretty funny start to this thread though:)

I like (some) skeletonized or integral knives and dug out an old pic.

PfRjXWg.jpg

Here two of my favorites; the GEK (German Expedition Knife) by T. Lennartz and the titanium MISSION MPS-TI.

The MPS is meant to for example slip into the knife pocket of a pilots flying suit and comes as is.
I have the handles for it as well.

A great knife, which Ive had for many years and have used quite a bit on hunting/hiking trips.

Im involved on a few German knife forums and have had occasion to chat with Mr Lennartz.

I like his German Expedition Knife. It makes for a great camp knife.

One of the gripes in regards to an all metal knife is that its too cold for the fingers during the winter time.
Personally, I dont agree. Ive used all metal knives for years and all years round.
Not too warm during the summer and one often wears gloves during winter.
If not, the metal of the handle quickly takes on warmth from the hand under normal circumstances.

As for weight, the GEK has as wide an all metal handle as a knife with removable scales would have, so cant be accused of saving weight there.
Its a semi-heavy knife which is an advantage when chopping. A great working knife.

In regards to the titanium knife, the weight issue is of course a moot point.

tl;dr Im a fan.

ORLY!

It is. But I didn't want to go there...this thread has had enough language challenges. :)

But, yes, it is skeletonized. Evemn if the scales did not have holes on them, it would still be skeletonized.

Though I guess I should ask, Are you asking about "bare" handles with holes (skeletonized handle), or knives where the handle is metal and has no holes (like the Cold Steel Drop Forged knives), or both?

I call this an integral knife:

mPpP1KU.jpg

Also as per AG Russel:

"An Integral fixed blade is one made of all one billet of steel. This means that the blade, bolsters, tang, and pommel are all made out of one single piece of steel. The advantage of this is that the steel grain runs uninterrupted across the entire knife, rather than having multiple steels attached to the main blade. This significantly improves the strength, durability, and lifetime of the blade.

*Note - Not all makers consider the term Integral to also refer to the butt. Some may call their knife Integral but not include the butt in that definition. To be complete, you could refer to a knife made with all one piece (including the butt) to be a Full Integral knife. We just refer to it as simply Integral."

To add a variation, sort of, the single piece knives like the drop forged cold steel knives could be considered similar in that there is no handle attached. They just didn't mill out the middle and have designed in guards on several. These are monolithic, but technically so is a skeletonized knife.

Edit: I guess bladescout beat me to it.

That’s why I like knives like my Brous Blades Silent Soldier so much. The finger holes prevent any sort of rotation in the hand.

ORLY!

7BH6x52.jpg
I think the knife is not pure skeletonized knife because edges along the holes and around handle did not cut on metall. Skeletonized knife must be very good work up because your palm has to feel comfort. Make skeletonized knives more dificult then knives with scales. You have to work up all spaces of the knife quite well and you can not hide any defects.

I think the knife is not pure skeletonized knife because edges along the holes and around handle did not cut on metall. Skeletonized knife must be very good work up because your palm has to feel comfort. Make skeletonized knives more dificult then knives with scales. You have to work up all spaces of the knife quite well and you can not hide any defects.
Not sure I understand.

Anyway, its skeletonized in my book.
(arms akimbo).
:D

You can call it what u want of course.:)

(((((sorry for my english((((
I would like to say more about the type of knives but I can not)))

(((((sorry for my english((((
I would like to say more about the type of knives but I can not)))
No problem at all:)

Try to explain what you mean by 'not citting into the metal' how ever.

Do you mean, since the scales are flush?

Thanks)))
I mean the edges of the holes should be well treated on the body of some skeletonized knife

But if you made a skeleton knife well and all edges are treated you can not fix any scales because some dirt can get between the knife and the scales

But if you made a skeleton knife well and all edges are treated you can not fix any scales because some dirt can get between the knife and the scales
True.
But why would you want the skeleton holes chamfered/'edges treated/made well' on the (Eickhorn) knife in question, as it has scales?

Personally, I dont believe that chamfered edges are what makes a knife skeletonized or not but thats just me.

Back