Skinna Skinna, Chicken Dinna

Thanks Scott, I'll keep that in mind. The copper was nice to work with, aluminum is a pain in the ass it seems, I spend more time with a file card than the file.

That RMK is sweet, that's what I've got in my mind except with a little more leather and a center swell. I like the way that handle tapers though.

We're gonna need pics of that sword when you get it done!

Years ago I got a bunch aluminum die cast sprues from a guy I new anywhere from 1/4" to 1/2" thick I tried cutting them with carbide cutters and every thing they gummed up my files and destroyed carbide cutters within seconds ( the residual silica in them from being die cast was the culprit ) it was so miserable work with I ended up scrapping all of it. Nickel silvers is way better to work with.

I like the weight and feel of aluminum, I've done a few bolsters with it, but what a mess to work with. I was surprised how difficult it was to polish as well.

Aluminum seems to get milky when you polish it. It's a got butt cap material because of the weight of it.

The vinagroon I made up sure smells. The holster I made that I tried it on was black as black, but not sure it will ever smell right. I think I need more vinegar, or something? Smells like rust so strong, so I think the catalization is not finished?

Looking very good, John!

I quit using sno-seal on my sheaths as it was getting them too dark, so went to straight Ren. Wax instead. Sunshine heat helps melt it in nicely. You're right about a little going a long way; I'm still working out of the same can after 15 years. Pro-tip: if you use the same wipe down rag, dedicated to Ren. Wax only, and keep it in a ziplock bag when not in use, the can of Ren. wax will last even longer...

I'll need to look in to getting some renn wax. I have a bottle of atom wax that I had been using for years (I don't make a lot of leather projects, just a few per year). The atom wax went on after the snow seal, and was OK. Able to take a shine, and stiffened up the leather.

Welcome to our little ghost town by the way:thumbup:

Thanks. For the welcome.

I've been the custom makers general forum, and shop talk, etc, etc reading and learning for years.

Any time I see a great thread with progress pics I always enjoy.

This topic especially. I have a handful of family knives that need stacked leather handle work done. My older brother has grandpa's knife that the leather has rotted off. I've got a few from my wife's grandfather, great grand father, etc, that I'd like to fix for my own boys.

Last edited:
Are you neutralizing it after you apply it? I dab it on until it gets a rich black color, heavier on spots that will have a bend in them and let it sit for maybe five minutes. Then I use baking soda with water and let it soak in really good, let it dry and rinse it off with clean water. I haven't had them stink after that.

Ren wax is pretty good stuff.

I'm no expert on leather stacks but if I can help answer any questions, let me know.

Damn John, wow!!! :eek: That is VERY nice work my friend!!! :thumbup: :cool: I only just found this thread, and wish I would have seen it sooner. Excellent work!!! :D

Thanks Jared! Glad you found it my friend:thumbup:

Leather isn't my strong suit, but I wanted to try a pigskin lined sheath (third time was a charm:rolleyes:) I need to get my hands on the the Paul Long series for sheaths. Belt loop attached on back, I'll try to get some more pictures. I will say the wax/Sno Seal mix worked well, it spread on nice and seems to be durable.

Last edited:
Glad you like it Scott, I'll get her sharpened up and on the way as soon as I can:thumbup:

Oh, my. I'm really liking where your work is headed.

Thanks Mack, now if I can figure out where that is, we'll be in good shape!

Pretty much as far as you want it to go. All it takes is hard work, marketing, hard work, exposure and some more hard work.
No problem.

Very nice job on both khife and sheath.:thumbup:

Thanks Scott, I struggle with leather and am trying to improve my game.

Back