Skinna Skinna, Chicken Dinna

No the sheath is 8-9 oz cow hide the inlay portion is pig skin over kydex and the sheath is also pig skin lined with a kydex backing plate for safety, the leather on the knife handle is horse hide.

Well, well, what'ya know? Congratulations on your shared site, John. Your knife looks great, still prefer a metal other than copper, but there's no denying it's a lovely knife. Well done, my friend!!!

Hi David, speaking of metal I would like to try using aluminum bronze on some of my next knives, it looks a lot like brass but it doesn't tarnish like brass, but I hear it's a real pain to work because really tough like an annealed stainless steel. I've been using some nickel silver on the last knives I made but it doesn't seem to have that warm look to it, kind of sterile and cold look to it.

Well hello Mr. Stifle!!! Good to see you!

Ok, I have to say that this is cool, the two people that inspired me to do leather stacks are on this page. Around the same time I saw one of Scott's knives and just about had a heart attack, David put the bug in my ear to do a leather stack. That was late last year sometime.

Thanks for the kind words about the knife. I just got an order of Nickel Silver in that I'll be using next.

Hey guys! Scott, I agree on N.S. looking cold, but it's what sells. I've always liked brass, but not many people seem to nowadays.I'm still using up quite a bit of wrought iron I have. I go with N.S., Brass, and mild steel on occasion too. But on swords, wrought goes well.

I'm with you there Scott, I like the darker than natural color, gives it that rich look I think.

Micarta would be gorgeous, but then you'd lose that warm feel wouldn't you? I really want to try a center barrel of some figured wood with leather on each side. Scott of the Dopic1 kind sent me some nice mesquite burl that would look great I think.

That was horsehide in the arrowhead sheath knife wasn't it? That thing was freaking amazing by the way.

Yes, I have that very same dream. lol This is one of my favorite RMK knives, however stag is still my favorite handle material, not that anyone would have ever guesses that.

dream

I love bronze, but I've only used it for pins. I really like the way it tarnishes. I got some thin brass and thin nickel for spacers, gonna try that out. The aluminum I used was .03" and I think it was a little too thick. My next guard will be nickel but I'd love to use wrought iron.

I've got some chunks of what I think is wrought iron, is there an easy way to tell? A quick cut and polish and etch with Ferric Chloride maybe?

David, are working on another sword?
Yes, I'm heading back out to my shop with a lot of excitement. I forged out a full size shamshir sword last weekend, and had to come back for family stuff. Now I'll get it ground and send it out to Peters. First truely big sword (29.5" blade) I've done. A2 steel.

John, nickel silver is a nice guard and butt metal to use it's a good color match for blade steel and it does tarnish nearly as quickly as brass or copper, but it's a substantially tougher metal to work.

Yes, I'm heading back out to my shop with a lot of excitement. I forged out a full size shamshir sword last weekend, and had to come back for family stuff. Now I'll get it ground and send it out to Peters. First truely big sword (29.5" blade) I've done. A2 steel.

Cool, I can't wait to see that.

I love bronze, but I've only used it for pins. I really like the way it tarnishes. I got some thin brass and thin nickel for spacers, gonna try that out. The aluminum I used was .03" and I think it was a little too thick. My next guard will be nickel but I'd love to use wrought iron.

I've got some chunks of what I think is wrought iron, is there an easy way to tell? A quick cut and polish and etch with Ferric Chloride maybe?
There's no mistaking wrought, John. It literally tears. You'll see the layers.

A2 is a sweet steel, I've made a lot of mortise chisels and wood plane blades out of A2, it gets crazy sharp and is tougher than nails.

Thanks Scott, I'll keep that in mind. The copper was nice to work with, aluminum is a pain in the ass it seems, I spend more time with a file card than the file.

That RMK is sweet, that's what I've got in my mind except with a little more leather and a center swell. I like the way that handle tapers though.

We're gonna need pics of that sword when you get it done!

A2 is a sweet steel, I've made a lot of mortise chisels and wood plane blades out of A2, it gets crazy sharp and is tougher than nails.
So I've heard. This is the first time I've worked with it, it moves nice under the hammer. According to Stacy, I can take it up to Rc 58-59 with no problems.

So I've heard. This is the first time I've worked with it, it moves nice under the hammer. According to Stacy, I can take it up to Rc 58-59 with no problems.

It can take Rc 61 easily and even in a larger blade, its known for being tough and was the top dog until 3V came out.

Fellas, it was nice chatting with both of you, but time for me to hit the hey. I'll see you guys when I get back. John, great idea sharing a hosted site. I need to meet your buddy.

Both of you guys take care, and see ya later.

Thanks David, stop in any time, our house is your house. Tim's good people, you'd like him.

Back