Skinna Skinna, Chicken Dinna

Beautiful, stunning, awesome - in other words, pure chicken dinna! :thumbup::thumbup:

That was really great John, your work is beautiful and I really enjoyed this thread. Thanks for sharing your work.

Oh and it's got a nice butt! :rolleyes:
I've always been a derrière man
(Yes, I had to look up how to spell that:p)
That was really great John, your work is beautiful and I really enjoyed this thread. Thanks for sharing your work.
Thanks Ted, I'm glad you enjoyed the thread:thumbup:. I enjoyed making it.
That is a work of art my friend. Very impressive.
Thanks Tim, I don't know about a work of art, but I think she turned out purdy.

I'll try to post some of the sheath work. I warn you though, it's not my strong suit!

John, that turned out superb! I like the darker handle colors much better than the natural color myself, I think the darker colors has much richer and better contrasting appearance. Awesome knife, job well done.:thumbup:

Oh, man. That turned out fantastic.

Thanks gents:)

I really enjoyed doing this thread. It wasn't a great WIP or anything, but it was fun. I'd be happy to hear any suggestions for the next one, which will be for Rupestris when I get this sheath finished up.

Howdy John!!
My first post today before the battery dies...
I love the Knisef!
I agree with Ted about it being a perfect shape & size!
Also yes, the dark leather really lets the copper shine!
Wonderful work!
I know your little helper doesn't use "Knisef" anymore, but man,
just remembering that story makes me smile, no matter what!
Well, have a great one Lessismore!
L8R!

Thanks Randy, glad you like it my wildman friend to the North!

A scratch behind the ears to Zoe, no more treats!

Made a new batch of vinegaroon, I like to do beltloops with that instead of dye just to prevent any bleed off on the pants. My old batch must have been found by a curious cat and tipped over. Baby food jar held up, but the lid didn't! I'm trying my first pigskin lined sheath, we'll see how it goes.

I haven't been out for deer since I had little ones. Need to get out this year.

I have not been out deer or elk hunting since High School, and that was back in 1995!

I've used snowseal on my leather sheaths that I've made, but never gotten my hands on pure beeswax to melt down and add (except a little round I use to wax my thread for sheaths)

I have an old crock pot, but don't think I'd ever have that much wax to melt!

I've seen other makers use a boiling dip for sheaths and handles.

Last edited:
I don't know if the extra beeswax helps or not but it makes it nicer to apply. Doesn't get everywhere like SnoSeal, but rubs on easier than solid beeswax, seemed to melt in the leather well. I'd really like to try a dip with it.

Welcome to our little ghost town by the way:thumbup:

Made a new batch of vinegaroon, I like to do beltloops with that instead of dye just to prevent any bleed off on the pants. My old batch must have been found by a curious cat and tipped over. Baby food jar held up, but the lid didn't! I'm trying my first pigskin lined sheath, we'll see how it goes.

John did you dye the handle of that knife with the vinegaroon?

No sir, just the concoction of beeswax, SnoSeal, and Ren wax. It's not as dark as the pictures, I had a real hard time photographing it for some reason.

It's my understanding that vinegaroon will eat the leather if it's not properly neutralized, I wouldn't chance that on a handle. I'll use it it on a single layer in a sheath but it's easy to make sure it gets neutralized there.

I usually just use it on a belt loop or the backside of a sheath. I don't like the idea of dye ever coming off on a belt or pair if pants.

I have considered making a handle with alternating pieces of natural and vinegaroon dyed pieces. Neutralizing them before assembly. Might look interesting, or like garbage. I need to add that to the leather test ideas.

I like stacked leather handle better when there darker in color, the natural color of leather looks raw or unfinished to me anything from a saddle tan to a chocolate brown I like. I've been playing around with horse hide but I'm not sure I'm sold on it burnishes nicer but it seems softer and seems to move more with humidity changes, I think I may wind up going back to cow hide or trying some natural and brown micarta. Mike Malosh started using micarta in place of leather and his pieces look really nice.

I'm with you there Scott, I like the darker than natural color, gives it that rich look I think.

Micarta would be gorgeous, but then you'd lose that warm feel wouldn't you? I really want to try a center barrel of some figured wood with leather on each side. Scott of the Dopic1 kind sent me some nice mesquite burl that would look great I think.

That was horsehide in the arrowhead sheath knife wasn't it? That thing was freaking amazing by the way.

Back