1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Snarking On A Tropical Becker Island

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by tanglediver, Apr 1, 2019.

1. The Warrior

The Warrior Insane Viking Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    I blame the Maker's Mark for breaking the snark thread. Yeah, it's all coming back to me now, it was the alcohol...

Xr6x and GeofS like this.
  2. DerekH

DerekH Handsome According to my Mother Moderator

Nov 18, 2010
    That's some real nice technique brother!

3. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Then we're screwed again, 'cause I just chugged a HAMR.
    Excellent post-knifemaking beer.

[​IMG]

Xr6x, GeofS and DerekH like this.
  4. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    I won the BK5 in this week's BF drawing!

5. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Nice man, congrats!

6. GeofS

GeofS Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 9, 2018
    That’s awesome. Congrats! :thumbsup:

Xr6x and The Warrior like this.
  7. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2015
    NICE! Very Cool :thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. DunkEm

DunkEm Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 9, 2013
    I can't decide if attempting to clean up has failed me, or if my memory has betrayed me.

I admit, I'm not an overly tidy person.

About a year and a half ago I decided it was time to clean and organize my garage. I did some preliminary purge work, bought some new shelves to help, but before I could get the job done, my father's dementia kicked it up a notch. Suddenly we had to put him in a care facility.

When I went up to see him and check on step-mom, she sent me home with a truck bed (and cab) full of his tools and stuff.

Some of it I thought I might use one day - fishing poles, tools, etc. Some of it was stuff I associated with my childhood - like an old double-barrel shotgun that someone tried to fix but did a poor job and so just lived in Dad's gun cabinet never coming out. Some of it I knew was ridiculous to take because it never meant anything to him - like two rusty old lawnmower blades that I'm sure he only kept because he's cheap. But step-mom just wanted that stuff gone as well so I took it. I figured I could throw it in the garbage when I got home more easily than she could at her house.

I was kind of wrong.

Turns out even that worthless old stuff was harder to throw away than I expected. It was like throwing away part of my dad. So it has largely sat in my garage since then.

Late this spring that emotional stuff started getting under control. The things I knew didn't mean anything to him, like the lawnmower blades, reverted back to being what they actually are - things. As that clarity developed, I was able to just throw out some things here and there as I saw them and decided I'd never use them again. I can't even tell you what all I threw out. Most of it was stuff I should have thrown out years ago. My plan was to get the garage under control once the first cold front pushed through and the garage was no longer an oven.

But, I guess I got over zealous. Or my memory failed.

Two days ago I was talking with one of my sons about not being able to find a small "hatchet" like the one used by the landowner's friend out where we deer hunt. Then it occurred to me: I've got Dad's two old lawnmower blades that would be great for making into that kind of hatchet. Plus, I've got the skills. I could make two. It would be fun. The boys could have a memory with a great story behind it, and I'd have a reason to get back out in the shop.

Yesterday I went to look for the blades.

I looked again today.

No luck.

I guess I tossed them in one of those, "Oh, I'll never use this" moments.

Crap.

Edit: Ha! Turns out it was my memory. And they are thinner than I thought. Still might take a run at it though

Sony for the long post.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    MolokaiRider, Xr6x, GeofS and 2 others like this.
  9. 1066vik

Nov 28, 2009
    standard thickness mower blades are too thin for a hatchet -- but make great machetes.

Xr6x, GeofS and DunkEm like this.
  10. DunkEm

Dec 9, 2013
    The mower blade probably is too thin even for what I am thinking. But hatchet might be the wrong word. This thing the guy has is maybe 1/4" thick. Wouldn't surprise me if it was marketed as a backpacking hatchet or a hunting hatchet.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  11. DunkEm

Dec 9, 2013
    A little googling and I think it's something like the Gerber Pack Hatchet is modeled after

[​IMG]

Xr6x, 1066vik and GeofS like this.
  12. 1066vik

Nov 28, 2009
    still a hatchet -- but usually 1/4" thick. mower blades are usually 3-4mm

Xr6x, DunkEm and GeofS like this.
  13. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Re: post-depature cleanup
    going on 3rd year now...

14. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    I need to lay off the booze a bit. I don't get drunk per se, but it's becoming a bad habit to use booze to knock the edge off.

MolokaiRider, Xr6x and GeofS like this.
  15. GeofS

Mar 9, 2018
    Sounds like you’ve identified something and you want to change it proactively. That’s good. My September resolution is to start eating healthier.

16. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Need to do that myself. My wife cooks healthy meals, but I like to snack too dang much.

Xr6x likes this.
  17. GeofS

Mar 9, 2018
    I’m doing the same. I keep finding myself eating unhealthy stuff during downtime. The summer was stressful, I’m about to start my regular routines again. I hope that brings positive change. Gonna try to start exercising again too.

18. 1066vik

Nov 28, 2009
    now that the edge has been taken off the heat, I can spend more time outside and working on projects -- which means less time to snack.
    I've dropped a couple of pounds over the past couple of weeks, which is a good start -- because I gained more than a couple over the previous 6 months.

need to pick up some straw bales and build an archery backstop.

GeofS, Xr6x and The Warrior like this.
  19. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    I cleaned out my shed a few weeks ago with good intentions of lifting weights again, but have never taken the plunge. I'll be way more likely to do it as it cools off myself.

GeofS and Xr6x like this.
  20. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Heat definitely makes it harder to get motivated.

GeofS and The Warrior like this.