So if Busse is gonna use SR101 and the Yard is gonna use 5160...

Status
Not open for further replies.
3V is a neat steel for sure but there are already so many good companies out there using it (if you want a great knife in 3V you will find none better than a Fehrman). I think that's one thing Swamp Rat really had going for them was no other production knife company was using 52100. Also if Scrapyard is going to 5160 then hopefully the prices of a 7 inch knife is around the 100 dollar mark because if its any higher it is simply over priced for a knife made of 5160 with a rubber handle. You can get a full custom with diff HT 5160 with actual handles for around the 200 dollar mark. That is an over all poor choice for them imo.

The MountainManDu is SR77, I wonder if thats any indication. ;)

Maybe 5160 for the yard, SR77 for the Swamp, and INFI, SR101, and ElMax for Busse?

Maybe there will be a mixing and fornicating of the steels between the companies.

I honestly think if the Swamp goes to anything other than SR101 they would be doing their customers a severe disservice. I think that is the main reason the Yard went to SR101 because its better than SR77.

I hope the swamp sticks with SR-101!! And the yard would do whatever... I'm so set on Res-c it's disgusting. Lol. I have way. MOre res-c than anything. Lol

The SR77 that they used recently was left over steel. They aren't going back to using it. Isn't INFI pretty close to 3V? Pretty sure I remember hearing that.

I do hope they stay with SR101, in fact I'd like to see some more differentially heat treated models :)

Like Jerry said in the past...... 3v is closer to sr-101. After exstensive testing they gave the nod to sr-101 for superior edge holding, impact toughness, lateral strength etc. But 3v are more rust resistent.

Exact words from Jerry:

Want a better comparison? Put 3V up against SR-101. They are much closer in performance with us giving the nod to SR-101 for superior toughness, impact strength, lateral strength, and edge-holding. 3V is, however, much more corrosion resistant than SR-101.

Exact words from Jerry:

Want a better comparison? Put 3V up against SR-101. They are much closer in performance with us giving the nod to SR-101 for superior toughness, impact strength, lateral strength, and edge-holding. 3V is, however, much more corrosion resistant than SR-101.

That's...um...an interesting decision. I question the accuracy of those claims, but interesting.

That's...um...an interesting decision. I question the accuracy of those claims, but interesting.

I have also always questioned that. Having used SR101 (lets not kid ourselves its simply 52100 with a dialed in HT) and 3V alot, 3V with a good HT has better edge holding, toughness, impact and lateral strength, and loads more corrosion resistance. I put 3V on the exact same playing field as INFI. That being said I still prefer SR101 to either 3V or INFI for no other reason than I freaking like the way it works. It sharpens up nice and easy, takes a finer edge, and to me is a steel that is a joy to use.

I have also always questioned that. Having used SR101 (lets not kid ourselves its simply 52100 with a dialed in HT) and 3V alot, 3V with a good HT has better edge holding, toughness, impact and lateral strength, and loads more corrosion resistance. I put 3V on the exact same playing field as INFI. That being said I still prefer SR101 to either 3V or INFI for no other reason than I freaking like the way it works. It sharpens up nice and easy, takes a finer edge, and to me is a steel that is a joy to use.

Sorry man but I am not trying to be funny or anything..... I had 2 x EJ from Fehrman and compaired edge impact toughness to my 911 chopping into a 12 mm hardened bolt 20 times with each blade. The fehrman had a massive chip and the 911 did not. That's just a fact. I'm still a Fehrman fan and enjoy the knives. I were very surprised when this happened.

Sorry man but I am not trying to be funny or anything..... I had 2 x EJ from Fehrman and compaired edge impact toughness to my 911 chopping into a 12 mm hardened bolt 20 times with each blade. The fehrman had a massive chip and the 911 did not. That's just a fact. I'm still a Fehrman fan and enjoy the knives. I were very surprised when this happened.

i have chopped a thick alumium plate with my 911, no visible damage to the edge .

So i think the SR101 is a good steel with high edge stability , cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back