so.. the sebenza.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sebenza has always interested me because of it's reputation for quality, but I've always been hesitant to buy it because I have so many other knives already. I can't bring myself to pay $300+ more than something like a ZT when it doesn't have much better materials, no matter how tight it's tolerances and quality is. If it had a better steel like M390, C20V or CPM-204p then I would be a lot more interested in buying it.

I think snob appeal plays into the equation to some degree and unless I win the lottery, I'll never own one.
So...are you saying that only snobs win lotteries...or that money would make you change your standards? I'm just trying to get a bearing on where you're going here.

OP...the real question here is...

Is it worth $350 (the price a large PJ 21 goes for here) for you to check out a Sebenza!
$500 is the new price...but at $350 used, you will get the same customer service, tight tolerances, and beautiful lines. Don’t like the wear? Spa service. Sebenza’s age well, and look awesome with use though.
For $350 buck, its just like a brand new Sebenza...but with small scratches. ;)

Yessir! You know as well as we do that this isn't the first Sebenza thread where folks come in to try to lowkey bash people who've paid what these cost. We've seen it all before. :D

BTW, the OP is a Microtech owner/aficionado so this was never really about the money...

Maybe we should start a new thread...”King of the Snob Bandwagon.” I’ve gotta be getting close...

A aue123 - This is my work “Benz.” I’m in the construction trade, and it has literally had the crap kicked out of it. Not a jiggle in sight, solid lockup, and going on its 6th year. No offense to anyone here, but my ZT’s never held up like this.
$350 was money well spent...its like a Hilti drill, but cooler. :)
13991C1C-9718-42AB-A1C3-1D919C465FFD.jpeg

I have had several. Large,small,inlays, and engraved. If I find a good deal on one I usually end up buying it. But to be honest, it just doesn’t do it for me. I have found them difficult to sharpen and maintain an edge

It's a no frills knife executed to near perfection. From an engineering stand point it's one of, if not, the best folders out there. When I first got one I didn't see what all the hype was about. I came around the more I carried, used, and cleaned it. For what's its worth I settled on a large 21 insingo with micarta. The blade is centered eveytime, no tricks needed. Insingo is the perfect blade shape for my use.

Worth it is very much a personal option I don't think I would recommend it as your 1st or second knife; only because its the little things I've grown to appreciate. It's just well thought out imho. The good news is you buy one and don't like it, they hold thier value pretty well; so you can sell it with minimal lost and get something else.

I would have said not worth it a few years back. Currently I say try one, worst case you sell it. But others might tell you worst case is that you end up buying more.

At the end of the day, it's just a pocket knife.

Last edited:
The Sebenza is a great knife, I personally prefer the Umnumzaan just for how it opens and feels to me, but either of them, or the inkosi, are great. Mine is 10 years old, has s30v steel, has been dropped and dinged and not treated well sometimes, and still feels tight and secure as the day I received it. And s30v isn't a super steel anymore, but mine has always taken anything I've thrown at it with no problem.

granted i’ve never held a sebenza.. i feel like it’s a bandwagon knife. everyone (on forums) recommends it, but is it really everything worth $500?? i just don’t see the flair about it, looks like an ordinary knife, nothing special, but yet everyone swears by it. i’m trying to get a better understanding about what makes it so special besides being expensive, and yes to 80% of the forum members $500 is pretty darn expensive.

i’m stumped..

I highlighted the part where you lost all credibility to create this thread.

The Sebenza has evolved into more that Chris Reeve expected, IMHO.

While many people "collect" CRK's, keep in mind the original design and intent of the Sebenza...it was designed for hard use. Use in mud, sand, oil and salt water. Chris Reeve wanted to design a knife than you can use anywhere on the planet, and be able to disassemble and clean yourself.

The Sebenza does this perhaps better than any knife today. I mean, there are guys that use their Sebenza on oil rigs and on deep water drives and disassemble, clean, and reassemble them on a daily basis. Try doing that with your ZT, Spyderco or Benchmade.

If you're the type of guy that likes to buy knives fairly regularly and use your knives primarily in the office/home - then the Sebenza may make you think twice.....but if you ask the guys that use it hard...it is well worth the price.

That being said, you don't have to use it hard to appreciate it. My best advice is that you consider getting one used here on the forums and use it for awhile. If it's not for you, it can be sold with a minimum of a cash loss....

BTW, the OP is a Microtech owner/aficionado so this was never really about the money...

this is correct, money isn’t the issue, heck i ordered 2 socoms just because i couldn’t decide if i liked the manual or the auto more. I bought the 940-1 because of the osborne hype and i’ve never even used or carried it, it’s on the for sale forum at a super discounted price.

i was just confused about the die hard appeal of “sebenza” the holy grail knife. I’ll have to check it out i suppose, not sure i’d buy one though. wouldn’t that make me jumping on the bandwagon now lol

anyways this post has really taken off and i appreciate all the great responses

this is correct, money isn’t the issue, heck i ordered 2 socoms just because i couldn’t decide if i liked the manual or the auto more. I bought the 940-1 because of the osborne hype and i’ve never even used or carried it, it’s on the for sale forum at a super discounted price.

i was just confused about the die hard appeal of “sebenza” the holy grail knife. I’ll have to check it out i suppose, not sure i’d buy one though. wouldn’t that make me jumping on the bandwagon now lol

anyways this post has really taken off and i appreciate all the great responses

I would say its not jumping on a “bandwagon,” but purchasing an Icon.

I highlighted the part where you lost all credibility to create this thread.
How dare a person try to comprehend why a pocket knife that cost more than a regular car payment receives all the hype it does for decades on a knife enthusiast fourm? /s

granted i’ve never held a sebenza.. i feel like it’s a bandwagon knife. everyone (on forums) recommends it, but is it really everything worth $500?? i just don’t see the flair about it, looks like an ordinary knife, nothing special, but yet everyone swears by it. i’m trying to get a better understanding about what makes it so special besides being expensive, and yes to 80% of the forum members $500 is pretty darn expensive.

i’m stumped..

If you don't like how the knife looks I don't even understand why you would consider it.

There are all the pros people here has mentioned allready, but if you really don't catch the beauty of the design I would move on to something I like the looks of.

In my personal opinion CRKs are worth it to me. I work in the trades as well and my knives get a pretty good workout. I don’t abuse them but I used them often. They’re the only pocket knife I use. Have one with me everyday. I do prefer the Inkosi over the sebenza for work but I don’t trust either one less than the other. Just a personal preference, but I do own more 21s than inkosi’s.

For me CRKs just work. They hold up, easy to maintain, great warranty and customer service behind them, extremely well built, good materials, and tight tolerances. They’re something you have to hold and use for some time to really gain the appreciation of the brand. I’ve dropped them on concrete, dropped in water, dropped in mud, blown notches in the spine, done light prying with them, all throughout the course of the day and they still keep kicking. Half the time the grittiness goes away but I’ll still clean them that night after getting a lot of dirt and mud in them. The blades stay centered and rock solid. There’s also a bit of pride in it for me having quality USA made goods.

As Ron Sabbagh Ron Sabbagh said if you someone who is going to use your knife a lot they’re worth it. I feel one hundred percent confident I could carry and use only one CRK for the rest of my days and pass it down to my kids. Keep in mind my knives get a lot of miles on them.

I know exactly what I’m getting when I buy a CRK. I can’t say that about a lot of items anymore. So for me yes it’s worth the price. I’m also the same guy who thinks spending $8 in a fast food drive thru is absolutely crazy

So...are you saying that only snobs win lotteries...or that money would make you change your standards? I'm just trying to get a bearing on where you're going here.

That's quite a wild interpretation.

If you think that's really what I meant it's not worth my time to try and explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back