so.. the sebenza.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a very nice knife but you'll sure feel that $500 if you lose it. I doubt there's anyone here who has never lost a knife, I know I have.

The monthly "Sebenza" thread..

It's either worth it to you or not, you either by by the spec sheet or not, no one here is going to convince you either way. There are lots of good $500 knives whether it be Spartan, Konig, et. al. none are in any sense life changing decisions nor are they financially disastrous if chosen wrong.

I would say its not jumping on a “bandwagon,” but purchasing an Icon.

This. "Jumping on the bandwagon" would be...let's say, you standing in line at Popeye's Chicken for three hours last year when those chicken sandwiches were scarce. At the end of the day "bandwagon" is usually used to imply that something isn't worth the noise people are making about them.

However, buying a Sebenza is simply an experiment to see if this particular very-high-quality item is for you. They are very high quality knives.

A significant difference, I think.

This. "Jumping on the bandwagon" would be...let's say, you standing in line at Popeye's Chicken for three hours last year when those chicken sandwiches were scarce. At the end of the day "bandwagon" is usually used to imply that something isn't worth the noise people are making about them.

I don't believe that phrase always has a negative connotation.
jump on the bandwagon
To join or follow something once it is successful or popular.

It seems you are somewhat emotional about this subject. In my post, I used the word some to describe my opinion that an indeterminate percentage buy a Sebenza for the snob appeal. I never said everyone buys for this reason but you called my comment "sour grapes". You can't possibly speak for every buyer and conclude I'm wrong...just for yourself. And I didn't make a sweeping generalization so don't feel I specifically meant you. I'd love to own a Sebenza, I'm sure it's a fine knife but knowing myself pretty well I know for me, it couldn't possibly be worth $500. My lottery comment was my way of saying I'd only buy one if my spending was not limited by my current salary.

I don't believe that phrase always has a negative connotation.
jump on the bandwagon
To join or follow something once it is successful or popular.

It seems you are somewhat emotional about this subject. In my post, I used the word some to describe my opinion that an indeterminate percentage buy a Sebenza for the snob appeal. I never said everyone buys for this reason but you called my comment "sour grapes". You can't possibly speak for every buyer and conclude I'm wrong...just for yourself. And I didn't make a sweeping generalization so don't feel I specifically meant you. I'd love to own a Sebenza, I'm sure it's a fine knife but knowing myself pretty well I know for me, it couldn't possibly be worth $500. My lottery comment was my way of saying I'd only buy one if my spending was not limited by my current salary.

It seems that you dislike when others call you on your comments. Interesting. "You can't possibly speak for every buyer"...really? So, using that logic, it should have been ok to respond to this post like "Oh lordy, the poors are at it again!"? I mean, as long as we're lowkey denigrating people using personal bias, right?

:)

Anyway, since you mention "snob appeal" and then paint some undetermined number of Sebenza owners with that brush, any chance you have some quotes from Sebenza owners here who are looking down their noses at people who don't like or can't afford CRK knives? I'm sure they exist.

That's quite a wild interpretation.

If you think that's really what I meant it's not worth my time to try and explain.
Hmmm, looks like I needed to included /s

It's easy to attribute the devotion of any fanbase to "snobbery", but that's an inexperienced viewpoint from the outside looking in.

You can throw that accusation around at Ferrari drivers, Rolex watch owners, LA Lakers fans or those who enjoy using exemplary tools. To discount the passion of fellow knife knuts on a knife enthusiast forum is counterproductive to respectful discourse. It serves to illustrate that your opinion is based on preconceived bias rather than understanding.

I was only trying to highlight the fallacy in your comment. I guess it probably isn't worth my time to try and explain.

I'm done in this thread. I hurt some feelings but didn't mean to. There's no point in going back and forth.

How dare a person try to comprehend why a pocket knife that cost more than a regular car payment receives all the hype it does for decades on a knife enthusiast fourm? /s

Because that was not in any way what the op asked or said.

It took me years to finally buy one. It is definitely worth the money. I love it! If I could only keep one knife it would be my sebenza!

My .02.

I had one for a week, a large 21 with bocote inlay. It did nothing for me. I struggled with the weird thumbstuds.

I appreciated the time and effort in building it, but to me, it was just another Ti frame lock. Which I am now sick of.

To me, it was not the be all end all. A very nice knife for sure, and I understand the pricing, it just wasn't for me.

As I think about it, I have perhaps 100 folders and I would say yes ,it’s worth it.
Many cut as well or better, but none that I have owned are better made. Pick your poison.

I held one and I would not spend even $50 on it. I think paying such prices(300 to 500) for a pocket knife is outrageous. But to each of his own. That is my opinion.

In Canada Sebenza's cost between the low 500's to mid 700's so yeah I think anyone who buys one is trying to impress somebody. What makes me laugh about Sebenza's is that the "large" model has a blade just over 3 inches long. I've got dozens of folders [ I don't even have to include my 15 or so CS XL folders] that would make the Sebenza their bitch.

There are ways to buy a high-end knife like a Sebenza that are not too painful financially, if someone really wants it and has the will. For example, if your routine includes spending at least 10 bucks a day, five or six days a week at Starbucks’s, give that up for a month and a half. Put the money you saved into a Sebenza (or other knife) fund. You’ll accumulate that extra money pretty quickly. Even quicker if you sacrifice another nonessential item or expense, like bi-weekly visits to fast-food restaurants. Or whatever else.

It’s not as if every Sebenza owner has loads of disposable income to throw around. For a CRK or any other knife purchase. I only say this because there are clearly some who are anti-CRK knives that have self-admittedly never owned one (or in some cases, never even handled one), who sometimes give an impression of ‘sour grapes’ because of the cost. But if you really want something (and a basic CRK hardly costs thousands), if you have income coming in and are handling all of your essential expenses, there are easy ways to accumulate the extra money for it IF you really want it.

If you don’t feel it’s worth it at any cost, then just don’t buy one. Nobody is judging anyone on that. I own CRKs, but have never even thought of them as status symbols. What other people might think about it or not is of no consequence to me. Outside of forums, I never even discuss knives. I either like something and use it for my own self, or I don’t want it.

Jim

What makes me laugh about Sebenza's is that the "large" model has a blade just over 3 inches long.
It's 3.625", which is relatively large by mainstream standards, especially compared to the Small at 2.94". Yes, there are certainly knives larger than that, and Cold Steels are (generally) quite durable. There definitely are some differences in the long term durability when you experience it, though, which are difficult to objectively convey.

I have 5 Sebenzas and a Zaan. I get it because I've held them. You won't just by reading about them and watching videos.

My .02.

I had one for a week, a large 21 with bocote inlay. It did nothing for me. I struggled with the weird thumbstuds.

I appreciated the time and effort in building it, but to me, it was just another Ti frame lock. Which I am now sick of.

To me, it was not the be all end all. A very nice knife for sure, and I understand the pricing, it just wasn't for me.

agreed, it seems weird but although a regular Sebenza does nothing for me I do like the Starbenza and my Startac Umnumzaan quite bit. They are a little overpriced, imo, but what at Wilson is not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back