Society is breaking down, ya have to move on...what knife ?

Kabar and khuk... if your not living post-apoc like kevin costner, then your really not living at all.:D:thumbup:

25511_512x288_manicured__0zyqnsyx4kW8eJz5CVxxpA.jpg

Middle one-designed to kill (Wild Boar)

If attacked by looters---It would help me transfer their goods to my bag

Also one of the few knives I have that scares non knife people.

Picture004.jpg

So ya see this needs to be a versatile tool, what kinda knife would you choose ? This doesn't have to be one you own it might be one you'd like to own or even one you'd design ! Let's hear what blade size they are as well !

assuming only ONE knife: a Fallkniven S1.

if i'm allowed multiple blades: Fallkniven S1, Fallkniven WM1/TK6, a hatchet, Leatherman Wave and a Mora Clipper 860.

I could always grab more thhen 1 blade, they are mostly all in the same place.

In my pre packed maxped kodiak set up for a retreat into the woods, a swisschamp, and rc-4. If I could choose any blade setup, it would be this:

Busse Ak-47- cant beat that for chopping and self defense

rc-4- for woods tasks

also a variety of light blades for barter and equipping others

Folder of choice: Kershaw Titanium framelock Junkyard Dog 2 with the sg2 blade. I would trust it with my life, in a defense situation or in the woods.

Other wepons would include, Ar-15 with .22 bolt as well, dual kimber 1911's with black talons for ammo.

If I could only have one, this is the first knife that always comes to mind..

IMG_0108.jpg

Very sturdy, not overly big and capable of handling most jobs.

In reality I would more than likely be packing something along these lines.

IMG_0110.jpg

it always was foolish to take a knife to a gun fight. :D
but you never know how long it's going to remain a gun fight...

as for me, if the the shtf; first, I'd have my edc knives on me, but I would grab the tote that has all my hunting gear in it (minus firearms or bow) and take that; it has a Colt fixed blade, a frost cutlery green beret folder (really good folder), a tomahawk/hatchet, a folding saw, a pruner (and I think thats about it for bladed items)

Whether it's pick what you want, or "grab one and run, no time to pick", my choice would be this rig:
Quickdraw01.jpg

It has my 20" CAK and R-10 knife, both from Himalayan Imports.
It has the distinction of being the rig I almost always choose for camping/hiking, so it has the most dirt time, and it really is the fastest to grab, as it hangs off the corner of my bookshelf closest to my door.

Nice rig there. I have always liked your gear. Like the duluth canvas bag. I have the green shell bag with the leather trim. The leather on the Kukri looks very well made. I will have to try to make a sheath like yours for kukri one of these days.

From what I own I would have to choose my Swamp Rat waki. 17.5" blade differentially heat treated SR-101 steel. Pretty much indestructable and still holds an edge better than most knives. Pretty versital tool, and a great weapon.
various2008-2009207.jpg

Of course in reality I would grab a few smaller back-up blades to compliment it. For instance I would probably choose my Leatherman Wave, and BRKT Bravo Necker for starters. ...pluss it would be simple to lash the BRKT to the sheath of the waki :thumbup:
various2008-2009174.jpg

...If I could design my own "perfect" one blade, it would be a similar to, but modified version of this or a Busse AK. :)

I actually enjoy these threads as a good mental exercise and everytime we have one of these my choice seems to change slightly depending on a number of factors including what scenario I envision, what time of year and what locale I've decided to bug out to and what others have posted that made sense at the time. I've been to enough war torn and disaster ravaged countries to know better than to think that it couldn't happen here, or it couldn't happen to me, so I do think about these things (probably a little too much).

This is Bladeforums so of course we all have waaaay too many knives (as if there is such a thing! I have 4 folders on me right now, and 4 fixed blades sitting on my desk in front of me that I've been toying with), but Pitdog wanted to know which ONE knife.

For this envisioned scenario I think I would want a larger blade that could do more. A smaller knife is more handy, easier to conceal can be used for a wide variety of chores, etc, but I think I would prefer a larger blade for shelter making and as a good deterant. I would prefer something lighter if possible, ruling out many of the big blades (most Busses, most khukris, and most of the well-known big choppers like a BK9, RC9, and some of our fine custom makers wares, etc.). It needs a sharp tip to aid in gutting and cutting (leaving out most goloks, parangs, bolos, etc.). I would want it blade heavy so that it's a big knife in a small package (probably in the 10-14" range to keep it handier and somewhat concealable). I would want it thinner stock to save weight and to make it a more effective slicer. That leaves some sort of machete. I personally would probably go for a barong because I grew up using them when I lived in The Philippines and the Marianas Islands as a kid, they have a sharp and very usable tip (better than a Latin pattern machete), they're relatively light for the size of them, they're lively for self-defense use, they're typically made of very easy to sharpen and repair leaf spring steel and in the hands of somebody skilled with their use (not me, but I've seen some who really know what they're doing) it can be used for everything from shelter building and firewood prep, to skinnin and gutting. I would prefer one with a lanyard hole and a strong synthetic ergonomic handle made of G-10 or micarta and a 10-12" blade, which probably means custom. So I would have David Farmer make a custom one for me or if Busse Custom would do it I would have them make it for me so that I could have the advantages of INFI. I would then have a good custom kydex rig made for it so that it could be carried in a variety of ways, including on the hip with a dangler, strapped to a pack and on a baldric. Then I would use it daily until I became truly proficient with it to use it for finer woodwork and gutting small fish and skinning small game (not an easy task but very doable by those who know what their doing).

Of course in reality, I'll be carrying a multi-tool, a SAK, a folder or 2 and a variety of fixed blades and maybe even an axe or hatchet for serious chopping. Who needs food when I can distract myself with all those toys? Besides, can you imagine if you had to use one knife if you were stuck in a long term survival situation? I wouldn't want to use a SAK or a Mora to build a serious shelter, if I had to. Possible yes, easy no.

I live in Tokyo, Japan, that is very worried about future huge earthquake.
Tokyo and its around is very crowded and extremely hard to escape to woods and water resources.

Every vehicles will be banned to use personally in whole shaked areas and
so many people will appear for foods and waters.

Rivers are so wasted as to be doubtful to drink,
and something about water purifier doesn't be purchased at all.

First aid kit is sold but it doesn't include medical materials
so that we will have to buy a pouch that attached band-aids as first aid kit.

Hygiene will be destroyed so quickly because so many people lives in their apartment
and they can foot only paved surfaces and are forced to depend on public services at their live.

Forest is planted to sell and medicinal knowledge is well limited so that
ethical/political ECO scream is laud enough to hate every part of practical methods.

And it is banned to carry almost all of knives, Gerber LST for example in Japan,
so that it is in fact impossible to carry big knife except cooking blades at such time.

What knife then...

There are OUTSTANDING kitchen knives that will serve you well in the out of doors and a multitude of tasks. Then again, if (as the op stated) society is breaking down. Worrying about knife laws will be the least of your issues. Water purification is something you can order online if you cannot find it locally (before the apocalypse that is).

If it must be a kitchen knife this one may do the trick:

busse-XXXLNick-2008514.jpg

Out of all my knives ? Just one ?

Fallkniven S1 -

Reasoning ?
Stainless , no muss or fuss.
Convex edge for multiple uses.
Sturdy as heck but lightwieght and concealable.
Proven steel by a proven company.
Big enough for most uses I can think of with a clip point for delicate work.

So yea if I could just grab one it would be the S1.

I think the S1 backed up by a good multitool and prybar like the ones sold by Countycomm would make a good package.

Tostig

My Bobs each have three knives in them.

But to play, the first knife that came to mind is the SRKW Camp Tramp.

The one knife that is in all three is a Victorinox SAK

I would grab my Fox 691 since it has a pouch attached to the sheath that has everything I need to survive with antil I can get to or aquire more gear. I always carry a SOG seal pup or TOPS CSK and a Spyderco folders or two at all times with me so those would be already with me to add to the Fox kit.

Back