SODBUSTERS... bust 'em out, work 'em hard and show 'em off

MpjbyIP.jpg

n0oJLx3.jpg
That's a very handsome knife!

CelloDan

Basic Member
The Stag on this is good and build-quality decent. But the steel....:confused: can never seem to get an edge on it :eek: Bull indeed....:D

RWrtzlV.jpg

:D
Too bad about the steel cause I really like that stag too :thumbsup:, is perfect imo !

There has been been a few Otter sodbusters posted.
I stayed up late last night finding more about them as they do look very nice :thumbsup:

The small Otter is essentially the same dimensions as the Case Junior but with wooden scales.
When I found out I could get a small Otter from the States at a very reasonable price I sort of kicked myself for not ordering an Otter instead of the Yellow Delrin one that is still to arrive.

At the same time I have to have at least one yellow delrin ... it's just too classic to skip it.

So how is the fit and finish, overall impressions on the Otter Sodbuster from those of you who have them ?
TY :)

Too bad about the steel cause I really like that stag too :thumbsup:, is perfect imo !

There has been been a few Otter sodbusters posted.
I stayed up late last night finding more about them as they do look very nice :thumbsup:

The small Otter is essentially the same dimensions as the Case Junior but with wooden scales.
When I found out I could get a small Otter from the States at a very reasonable price I sort of kicked myself for not ordering an Otter instead of the Yellow Delrin one that is still to arrive.

At the same time I have to have at least one yellow delrin ... it's just too classic to skip it.

So how is the fit and finish, overall impressions on the Otter Sodbuster from those of you who have them ?
I have 4 Otter Hippeknieps. 3 Small, 1 Large. I prefer them over my Case Sodbusters.
All have very good fit and finish. No gaps between backspring and liners. Centered blades. Very solid folders. They are a bit pointier than Case sodbusters. However the handles are thicker than Case delrin sodbusters.

CelloDan

Basic Member
I have 4 Otter Hippeknieps. 3 Small, 1 Large. I prefer them over my Case Sodbusters.
All have very good fit and finish. No gaps between backspring and liners. Centered blades. Very solid folders. They are a bit pointier than Case sodbusters. However the handles are thicker than Case delrin sodbusters.

Great :thumbsup: , TY my friend :)

Bastler

Gold Member
The fit and finish on mine is good, at least comparable to the Case and certainly worth the price. It takes a good edge and is a knife that is meant to be used. Stefan Schmalhaus has a very informative video about the pattern. Made in Solingen: Carl Schlieper Sodbuster by Friedrich Olbertz - YouTube Be careful with Herr Schmalhaus, his videos can be very persuasive.

Here is my Hippekniep in its natural environment.

FXFCopF.jpg

lambertiana

Gold Member

I have one small Otter (blackwood scales) and one small Case (yellow delrin). They are essentially the same as far as overall quality is concerned. Slight differences - Otter has a better point and thicker handle.

You know you're going to end up with both of them anyway.

CelloDan

Basic Member
I have one small Otter (blackwood scales) and one small Case (yellow delrin). They are essentially the same as far as overall quality is concerned. Slight differences - Otter has a better point and thicker handle.

You know you're going to end up with both of them anyway.

TY, :thumbsup: :) .... is a matter of time now :cool:
( I thrive in the company of enablers lol :D )

I just received a Maserin Plow today and I am impressed. My first knife with D2 steel and Micarta handle. Great fit and finish with centered blade that is flat ground(my preferred grind).

I have both a Case Jr. Sodbuster in CV and a full size Case in stainless that are fine ,useful knives.
The Case Jr. is just a little too small for my use and the full size is too large for pocket carry.

The Plow is just the right size and has a more pointed blade than the Case knives.

The grinds are very good and even, a few swipes on a fine diamond hone and it was shaving sharp.
If you are on the fence about one of these, you can't go wrong.

CelloDan

Basic Member
I just received a Maserin Plow today and I am impressed. My first knife with D2 steel and Micarta handle. Great fit and finish with centered blade that is flat ground(my preferred grind).

I have both a Case Jr. Sodbuster in CV and a full size Case in stainless that are fine ,useful knives.
The Case Jr. is just a little too small for my use and the full size is too large for pocket carry.

The Plow is just the right size and has a more pointed blade than the Case knives.

The grinds are very good and even, a few swipes on a fine diamond hone and it was shaving sharp.
If you are on the fence about one of these, you can't go wrong.

Thanks for sharing your impressions :thumbsup: :)

I had been looking at the Masserins plows in the past few days with a lot of interest. Trying to decide between the small Otter or the Plow for the next time I pull the trigger :cool:.

My long awaited yellow case jr should be here tomorrow hopefully ( ordered it Dec 23, mail to Canada is soooo slow )

JohnDF

Gold Member
I had been looking at the Masserins plows in the past few days with a lot of interest.
I've had one for a little while. The blade is really nice, I like that it's more pointy than normal. That's always been my one knock on the Sodbusters, it's hard to get the point into anything without contorting the wrist badly. So the D2 blade is a big win on this knife. The action on my knife is also a plus. It's nice and 'snappy' with medium pulls. But remember, it's a budget knife and the F&F of the handles, liners, and back spring aren't the best. But for the price I wouldn't complain one little bit, it's solidly built. I carry mine from time to time but don't post pictures of it because of its more modern construction. But I'll post it here...

CelloDan

Basic Member
I've had one for a little while. The blade is really nice, I like that it's more pointy than normal. That's always been my one knock on the Sodbusters, it's hard to get the point into anything without contorting the wrist badly. So the D2 blade is a big win on this knife. The action on my knife is also a plus. It's nice and 'snappy' with medium pulls. But remember, it's a budget knife and the F&F of the handles, liners, and back spring aren't the best. But for the price I wouldn't complain one little bit, it's solidly built. I carry mine from time to time but don't post pictures of it because of its more modern construction. But I'll post it here...

Gracias John for the feedback :thumbsup::)

So today, after 23 days I finally got my yellow sodbuster junior.

I really like the form factor and the way it fits in my hand :thumbsup:. My wife saw it and said I finally got her the knife she wants lol :D

It was mentioned before that the delrim sodbusters are prone to pin cracks and this one has them right from the get go :(.

The action is VERY gritty but I may be able to solve that issue with a thorough flushing, oiling etc.

What do you folks think about the pin cracks ?

Considering I live in Canada and the issues associated with returns etc , would it matter to you ?
Perhaps is a matter of time until most sodbusters develop pin cracks anyways right ?

qPukdRj.jpg

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC