SOG 2015 releases - wtf happened to this company?

This sort of thing has yet to happen to other "classic" companies like Case or Buck...well case at least. With everyone releasing weird gimmicky stuff at shot 2015 I can't help but wonder if the world is moving towards a mall ninja singularity. Too...Many...Seat belt cutters! Perhaps a dedicated seat belt cutter is necessary for an emt, but too many of the damn things are popping up. I love my keyknife from sog, that is one of there nice "tacticool" things, but switchblade pliers is just ridiculous for me.

This sort of thing has yet to happen to other "classic" companies like Case or Buck...well case at least. With everyone releasing weird gimmicky stuff at shot 2015 I can't help but wonder if the world is moving towards a mall ninja singularity. Too...Many...Seat belt cutters! Perhaps a dedicated seat belt cutter is necessary for an emt, but too many of the damn things are popping up. I love my keyknife from sog, that is one of there nice "tacticool" things, but switchblade pliers is just ridiculous for me.

LOL I love this quote "I can't help but wonder if the world is moving towards a mall ninja singularity"

I think Ill use that in a sig line. Seriously though, it makes you wonder, its as if all the sudden everyone in the world needs seat belt cutters, line cutters, glass breakers, and quickly accessible fire starters. Its as if we are all living in the woods, trapped in our cars, upside down, imprisoned by glass and seatbelts, and desperately in need of a fire and lots of cordage.

Mechanisms in SOG multitools have gotten absurd in recent years. When I first saw the power assist a few years ago, I gave it points for originality but dismissed it. It gave up functionality for gimicks, never OK in my book. One development I am glad for is "Bladeless multitools" like some of the new gerber line up(The second I saw the dime travel in at bladeHQ I ordered that sunbitch, the TSA has taken too many multitools from all of us to allow another one to be taken by them) But bladeless multiools are selling fast, or atleast ones that make sense to carry(IE, the dime travel) Leatherman made a smart move with the tread, there actually innovating, not moving toward the mall ninja singularity:thumbup:

Mechanisms in SOG multitools have gotten absurd in recent years. When I first saw the power assist a few years ago, I gave it points for originality but dismissed it. It gave up functionality for gimicks, never OK in my book. One development I am glad for is "Bladeless multitools" like some of the new gerber line up(The second I saw the dime travel in at bladeHQ I ordered that sunbitch, the TSA has taken too many multitools from all of us to allow another one to be taken by them) But bladeless multiools are selling fast, or atleast ones that make sense to carry(IE, the dime travel) Leatherman made a smart move with the tread, there actually innovating, not moving toward the mall ninja singularity:thumbup:

TSA only takes stuff from you if you let them ;)

The only good multi-tools I own are Lethermans. A wave that stays in a pack and a Juice CS4 that stays on my belt and goes everywhere I do every single day. I like the idea of one hand operating things. I like to be able to get my fixed blade out one handed. I must have one hand opening on my folders. I think the idea of a one hand opening push button MT is neat. Frankly, whatever I am cutting or using my MT on is usually in my other hand. One hand opening is oh so convenient.

I know this is a bit late. I just wanted to comment that one of the things that turns me off from SOG products, and especially many of these, is the fact that the SOG logo generally appears at least 3 times on folders and twice on fixed blades. Usually, the logo appears so large it detracts from the possible beauty of the knife. Enough with the logos!

This doesn't seem to be much of a departure from what SOG has been doing over the last few years.

Hi, I'm new to this forum. In fact this is my first post... so hello.

Anyway, I recently purchase the SOG N Force and the SOG Spec Elite 1... and I really like them both.

But I also agree... last year when the bladelights came out, a Cabelas staffer showed it to me and I started laughing... total gimmick, imo.

Hi, I'm new to this forum. In fact this is my first post... so hello.

Anyway, I recently purchase the SOG N Force and the SOG Spec Elite 1... and I really like them both.

But I also agree... last year when the bladelights came out, a Cabelas staffer showed it to me and I started laughing... total gimmick, imo.

Welcome!

I had a Force that I got in a group sale. I sold it because I had other knives in that size and for its intended purpose. I think the Force is a very undrated knife. It has the handle from the Seal Team which I like a lot but the blade shape is much more conducive to outdoorsy or bushcrafty type tasks. And it is stainless as well which a lot of knives in this category aren't. The Spec Elite is also very good. I have the big one and it is one heck of a knife! I wish SOG would keep designing these types of products instead of what the 2015 line-up represents.

I suspect that SOG knows more about generating revenue for its shareholders than we do. That's why the company exists. Its not to please us. While SOG is not my favorite maker, they do plenty of things right and I suspect that most of us could find a few SOG folders, fixed blades and MTs that would make us happy.

Thanks for the Welcome.

I agree completely on the Force knife. I have the big Elite - love it, love it, love it. My wife liked it, too but thought it was bigger than she preferred so I bought her the mini - she loves it. It's her EDC... the large one is mine. I actually carry it in my suit as well and you can't tell it's there.

I suspect that SOG knows more about generating revenue for its shareholders than we do. That's why the company exists. Its not to please us. While SOG is not my favorite maker, they do plenty of things right and I suspect that most of us could find a few SOG folders, fixed blades and MTs that would make us happy.

There are for sure current SOG products that make me very happy. Only one in the 2015 line up though....

I miss the good ol days of sog as well, the seki pentagon, pentagon mini, desert dagger, seal series etc were some awesome knives. I do not by any of their newer taiwan stuff but i do love the old schools.

Attachments

• IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 46
Back