SOG 2015 releases - wtf happened to this company?

There are many people who feel that way. SOG built it's reputation and following during the first 20 years of it's existence.
Much of that has been squandred since then.

I mean they do still make some great products. I enjoy several of their currently made Fixed Blades in AUS8. They could improve them with a bit better material but that would add cost. And most of their Seki folders are under rated. The problem is they discontinue a few of the good classic items each year and they add to the mass market mall ninja stuff. Soon it will all be all mall ninja stuff. They gotta make money though I guess...

I miss the good ol days of sog as well, the seki pentagon, pentagon mini, desert dagger, seal series etc were some awesome knives. I do not by any of their newer taiwan stuff but i do love the old schools.

Love that combo and it is always good to see some use on a Seki SOG. Love that dagger. Wanted one for a while. If I can find one at the right price I would for sure get it but I think we know that is unlikely given the prices of these classics. Oh, and I could never actually carry it. That didn't stop me from getting the Pentagon dagger series though (full sized and mini, Seki and Taiwanese, might be an ODC thing). Great knives.

Looking at their new stuff, it looks like the sort of junk that BudK would sell.
Awful.

Looking at their new stuff, it looks like the sort of junk that BudK would sell.
Awful.

Agreed. But there is plenty of good stuff in the old line up. If this is what they need to sell to keep the classic good stuff, so be it.

Agreed. But there is plenty of good stuff in the old line up. If this is what they need to sell to keep the classic good stuff, so be it.

You're right about that.
I've beaten the crud out of my Seal Pup and it's still going strong. I love the older stuff.

In defence of sog... Zoom, flash anything, aegis. For the price, function, weight vs. size, they offer excellent world class knives. And they take risks with some of the crap they churn out. Blade steel could be better. But even thier aus8 blades, their heat treat and edge geometry are, at best excellent, and at worse, very functional.

I'm really surprised SOG hasn't upgraded their line of classic Bowie knives in a series with high end materials (e.g. s30v, micarta, g10, kydex, etc...) seems like a no-brainer and a great way to push their classic line up-scale.

I just wish SOG would try to invigorate the PowerLock/Pocket Power/Plier line by adding more components to upgrade one's multitool. How about a higher quality steel knife blade? A diamond file? A smaller phillips head screwdriver?

I only own two SOG products now, the Pocket Power Plier and the Pentagon Elite I folder. Both pretty damn fine, especially the Pentagon Elite. Its a shame they seem to have lost their way. I think the state of their forum here is a good indication that they are no longer interested in serious knife nuts.

A couple years ago SOG was well represented here, but a very vicious and pretty ridiculous SOG-bashing thread ensued and they haven't been active on any knife forum, this one or others since. I can't blame them.
I too consider my SOG powerplier and 4 Seki Folders with the arc lock to be excellent products. But there is no doubt that the marketing trend today and some of their current products turns off many fans especially the ones who remember SOG from it's heydays.

I m thinking its more probable that the sog of today
Is the result of just another corporate buyout.
Its probably going to remain faceless till then...

Unfortunately corporate trends tend to be like taxes, they will go up but never come back down.
But then, who knows? Maybe we'll be waiting in line to get the latest Gerber offering soon.

Successfully run businesses are about the people behind it
Just as much as it has to do with the kind of products that
They can come up with which hits the mark.
If there is no one at the top treating it like some pet project
You can almost be certain that it will sooner or later
It would run aground.
Let's face it, When a business has no face behind it
It better have an easily remembered name/ corporate identity or signature something
So that its brand or logo becomes the only symbol for
An establishment to persuade or maintain customer loyalty.
i simply do not know if it is adequately enough to just hire
A spokes person without true vested personal interest in a said company or its products
To try and bridge or reach out publicly to its intended market existing or otherwise.
Where would apple, microsoft, or virgin of past be
without its enigmatic ceo's playing the pr game?
Just my 2 cents....

Last edited:
I like the modernized version of the recon fixed blade , and the jungle canopy knife, and the seal pup elite

I like the modernized version of the recon fixed blade , and the jungle canopy knife, and the seal pup elite

Right, but the recon and seal pup are the classic designs and are nothing like any of the 2015 releases which are what this thread are about.

SOG has some really good folders in their mid-to-upper range. Sadly, none of these are newer models. The Arc Lock is featured on most of said models and seems to work about as well as the Axis Lock. I own a Vulcan and IMO it's one of the better knives in its category/price range. WHY did SOG stop designing blades like the Vulcan?!?

I am glad that I bought several SOG knives, when they were making really good knives. I agree the 2015 ones don't show me much either.

They will go out of business or go the way of full novelty mall garbage with an effort such as this one unless that is... They are already there.

Back