1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

(SOLVED, happy with outcome) Need to call out a knife maker (Ken Coats) for his very poor response

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by Ryan Sumner, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tyyreaun

tyyreaun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Or Ken's own user blade.

2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 29, 2010
    ..... I call the US all the time mate, it is not that expensive and would probably go a long way to to sorting this out. There was a time when calling from a mobile was cheaper than the landline as well. His details are above, do the time calculation and call him during normal business hours. It is much harder to ignore a person talking to you than it is an email.

Good luck.

Andy

3. slyraven

slyraven

Feb 19, 2019
    Probably a mix up, he seemed pretty open about his emails being wonky, and also he seemed ready to fix it. If you do not call him, maybe have someone here call and let him know about this thread?

4. Ryan Sumner

Ryan Sumner

Mar 17, 2013
    If someone in the US would be willing to call him that would be fantastic. Either that, or I can try calling international when I get over the heavy cold I currently have

5. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    I suggest, that you get to feeling better and call him yourself so nothing gets mixed up playing telephone with someone in the middle. I hope you feel better & you & the maker can get this sorted out! Best of luck!

6. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    You are really going to have to do this yourself. There are too many variables and decisions that are going to come up for someone else to handle it for you. Person to person it could be worked out quickly. Through a third party(if he will even talk to them) it could take forever.
    Good luck on getting it resolved

7. Stang Bladeworks

Stang Bladeworks

Feb 19, 2018
    I agree that you will need to handle this yourself. I would call, cold or otherwise. I think the sooner you contact him the better. I hope this works out for everyone.

8. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    I agree. I also would have called and had a serious conversation before making the thread due to the odd/unique situation. But that's just me.

9. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    It's cool you're trying to be nice but I can't imagine a scenario where this was some sort of grabbed the wrong knife mistake.

If it was something for/from someone else, then it is still an example of terrible work. If it's his own shop knife, he hasn't noticed that yet?

10. Ryan Sumner

Ryan Sumner

Mar 17, 2013
    Yeah I get what you mean guys, I'll give him a ring as soon as I get a chance

Rhinoknives1 and LizaMari like this.
  11. Liberty43

Liberty43 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Let us all know how it plays out. Hopefully it will get sorted ASAP...good luck!!

12. KELAMA

KELAMA Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 28, 2013
    ^ :thumbsup::thumbsup: Me too!

I always prefer picking up & using a phone, in lieu of texting/emails (especially an instance like this), where 2 parties can have reciprocal communication speaking with one another...& can hopefully come to an amicable resolution.

Good luck!

Garrett Ferrell and mrknife like this.
  13. jux t

jux t Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Depending on the circumstance, an email may be helpful when having to present evidence to other parties. If that doesn’t work then call asap.

CataD, Garrett Ferrell and KELAMA like this.
  14. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    That's the worst attempt to fix a overground kick that I've ever seen.

Kevin Wilkins likes this.
  15. NewBlades16

NewBlades16 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2015
    I have been watching the posts on here and am just amazed at this knife maker. He has to have read these comments! You mean to tell me he has no conscious about this issue? Or maybe he has a serious medical issue. But still, he couldn’t have someone on his behalf reach out to this guy?? I mean, he is the creator of those famous after market clips for spyderco and cold steel?

16. NewBlades16

Dec 28, 2015
    Have you called him yet?

17. mattmanyam

mattmanyam

Apr 28, 2010
    You are combining two separate threads/makers/issues...

benchwarmer380 likes this.
  18. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    His last activity on BF seems to be Sept 11, so he likely isn't aware of the thread

19. NewBlades16

Dec 28, 2015
    So this entire threat is dedicated to Ken Coats or is there another maker involved in a separate incident. I read through the posts but I guess I need to read again. @Ryan Sumner was the only person with the issue, I assumed.

20. Lance Leon

Lance Leon Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2017
    The thread is about Ken Coats, the slip joint maker.

As far as I'm aware, he doesn't make after market clips for any brand. I believe that's what was meant by "combining makers/issues".

mattmanyam and NewBlades16 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.