Sorry for all the posts but I can't find "The knife"

I started to buy used(some knifes still come NEW, lol) on the exchange.

My 2 favs have been a Manix2 in s110v for under $100 and a NIB LT wright Genesis A2 full flat just over $100 (WOW!!!!!!!! Knife)
The Manix cuts OK but it's a little thick for me behind the edge, but I'm not set up yet to re-profile :) The Garberg out cuts it on sturdy cardboard(Fixed blade, and thinner steel) I have a Mora Bushcraft Black(yawn), but I really like the Garberg. I haven't even seen a carbon Garberg yet.

I've been looking for the right Benchmade 940 too(I've never owned one).

I've also been WAY impressed with the Mora Garberg, can get 2 SS for $100

Im mostly looking for an EDC, but choppers will do.

OK, well, while I look at price it is not a determining factor in buying, unless of course if it's over $1,000. Then I would have to save for some time. I'm not a money pit unfortunately.

The best knives that I know of for around $100 to EDC would be a Cold Steel knife in CTS-XHP and there are a few sites that have them left. KnifeCenter allows you to look through their inventory by blade steel. Here is a search on CTS-XHP. I bought 3! Cold Steel switched from CTS-XHP to S35VN recently and these CTS-XHP knives are excellent!!!

Another knife manufacturer that I can recommend are ESEE. They are as far as I know all 1095, so they will rust if you do not clean them off after each use, but a lot of members like them incl myself. I saved up and bought an ESEE Junglas. It's excellent.

If you are just desperate for a new toy, I think we've all been there. Then we've all felt the buyers remorse of getting something kinda cool, and having that knife that we must have announced a week later. Unless your life depends on it, just relax. Window shop and see what strikes your fancy. Cycle some funds through the exchange and see what you really like in use. But if you just want to blow cash on a new toy, there is nothing wrong with that, but it won't ever live up to what you hoped, no matter how nice it actually is.

I really want knives with great edge retention because I SUCK at sharpening, the few knives ive I have sharpened have muti micro bevels.

Connor, if you want an EDC that is also a good Duty knife, I just bought a Spyderco paramilitary 2 that is an exclusive in brown G10 with an s35vn blade. I paid $100 for it on the exchange. If you want it, I'll sell it to you and I will put my hair shaving push cutting sharp edge on it when it gets here on Thursday before I send it to you. At that sharpness, all you need to do is strop it after you use it for normal edc stuff and it probably won't go dull on you ever.

It's a knife that checks all the boxes for most people - easy enough to carry, not to big, not too small, super comfy and ergonomic any way you hold it, fun to flick and use, looks good, great American company with a warranty to match.

I do also have a Sage 5 that is like new I think, it cost me a little more, $115, but another highly beloved knife from which you would likely get similar joy in EDC.

If you don't like either of those, then I say with all due respect - it would be foolish not to buy one of the USA Made Blade Sprint run Kershaw Knockouts in M390. $99 I think mine was before tax because we're in the same state.

Let me know.

Sorry everyone i know I have been posting a lot but I can't find a freaking knife

You've only posted 23 times total since you've been here.
Heck I do that much in one thread. Unless I'm really into the thread . . .
. . . not saying that's a good thing . ..
anyway.
$100 ?
You want to find THEE KNIFE for $100 ?
. . . well I suppose that's possible.
anything is possible.
I usually wind up spending at least that then putting a couple hundred dollars of my time making it into a real knife . . . and . . . I'm still not fully satisfied . . . let alone call it THE KNIFE.
Here I'll give you an example. Maybe you will find THE KNIFE in this knife.
I nearly have actually.

Get a Cold Steel Ti Lite four (it looks like this Ti Lite six but shorter)
The four goes for about $80 in S35V and about $130 in my preferred steel CTS-XHP.
IMG_3634.JPG

Then send it off to one of the Pros here and get it full flat ground much thinner (I like 1.9mm) . . . I mean if you actually want to cut stuff with it . . . if you want to just carry it and trim threads off your suit and stab bad guys then you are good to go as is. ;)
It is one hell of a knife full flat. :thumbsup:
. . . now if it just had . . . well I won't get way out there.
Good luck :thumbsup: !
PS: (( . . . yeah I need to finish polishing it one of these days . . . it looks worse in the photo than it actually is. It is actually much smoother than a lot of factory grinds. ))
IMG_3720.jpg

If you are just desperate for a new toy, I think we've all been there. Then we've all felt the buyers remorse of getting something kinda cool, and having that knife that we must have announced a week later. Unless your life depends on it, just relax. Window shop and see what strikes your fancy. Cycle some funds through the exchange and see what you really like in use. But if you just want to blow cash on a new toy, there is nothing wrong with that, but it won't ever live up to what you hoped, no matter how nice it actually is.

^ Most underrated post of the century. This is so true.

So many knives I thought I would want I now just am meh about. Both ones I bought and ones I didn’t.

Thanks, Cold steel knives have never really caught my eye.
OH mannnnnnn
here is one of the best folders ever made . . . in the a WHOLE world . . . ever . . . maybe in the WHOLE galaxy . . . I'm tellin' ya'
good stuff (actually very high tec for the price . . . we are talking bronze washers and FREEKIN' heat treated 6061 T6 liners (where can one get those kinds of liners these days . . . serious question-where ?)
And look at that massive pivot ! It's butch and oh so light !
Sure it is a bit brutish but OH MAN . . . WHAT A USER ! ! !
It was under $100 when it was available new. You will have to buy second hand now.
Bottom knife in this photo; called the Cold Steel Voyager Large
IMG_4336.jpg

Condor parangatang
Kershaw camp 10
Endura v-toku
Cold Steel broken skull
Gerber sharkbelly
Cold Steel srk in sk5
Kershaw dividend m390
This is just for starters

Feel free to ignore me, but I’d get a set of stones and learn to sharpen on crappy knives. Once you’re good at sharpening, you can make your current knives cut like lasers. Much better than factory edges. You’ll discover the potential locked up in them.

Freehanding takes the longest to learn but is the most flexible. An 8” DMT coarse/fine double sided benchstone and a Spyderco doublestuff to microbevel will get you a long way on a lot of different steels. And YouTube videos, and practice.

Really rewarding, though. A skill that will last you long after that new knife is dull.

I think you should visit some knife-shops and/or knife-shows in your area and see just what types of knives are on the market and available. Right now, you're just spinning your wheels and I doubt that this thread is really helping you. You GOTTA SEE 'Em and HOLD 'Em, friend.

Last edited:
100 is still alot of money in this day in age (more if you're younger or in certain economies).

However people spend more than that on a single pair of sneakers or at a single sitting at a steakhouse. Don't over think it, go with one that looks the most interesting and most likely you'll get a 2nd anyways.

Another knife manufacturer that I can recommend are ESEE. They are as far as I know all 1095, so they will rust if you do not clean them off after each use, but a lot of members like them incl myself. I saved up and bought an ESEE Junglas. It's excellent.
Funny you should mention that. I started looking at those again today because of a tiny fixed blade thread I was banging away in today.
I did notice they offer the occasional stainless blade; the ones that aren't painted . . . er . . . pink ?. . . seriously . . . gee :rolleyes:
anyway . . . they offer the "if it ever breaks we will hook you up" warranty
translation :
we made it twice as thick as it needs to be so good luck breaking it (and good luck cutting anything with it) = 0.156 inch thick blade for a blade that is 2.63 inchs long.
I thought ". . . er . . . alrighty then . . . that's why I stopped looking at those"
I'm telling you I'm going to wear out my grinder here looking for THE KNIFE.

PS: if I buy one and grind it to 1mm thickness (about what a Swiss Army knife with a much longer blade is) do you think they would be willing to paint it pink again for me ?
That would be cool. ;)
Seriously I like the layered canvas handles ! ! ! They look really great !

PPS: OK I lied . . . a decent size Swiss Army blade is 1.9mm (dambed things are so over built ) :p :D

Last edited:
What is off limits? Does a certain steel or lock type not work for you, are you lefty?

If you don't know what you want, how are we supposed to know? "ANYTHING under 100$" say something and nothing at the same time. And there is practically no "the knife" since particular knives lend themselves to particular tasks. Otherwise everybody would EDC a mid size kitchen knife because it's the most used knife after a box cutter I would imagine. A folder is more practical a fixed blade more sturdy generally speaking. What do you cut all day? Do you have legal size restrictions, do you mind sharpening more often, do you hate the color blue, are you lefty or righty, do you care about washers vs bearings, do you prefer a flipper or thumbstuds, can you carry a locking folder, or does it need to be a slip joint? Add some parameters so you won't get 200 knives and everybody is somebodys favorite but not for you.

The sky is the limit if the only criteria you are looking for is a knife that's not an Mtech...:D

Back