SpecWar...the knife for CQC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plumber576 said:
Well...as far as I know the SpecWar was not embraced by any specific military group, but it was embraced by NASA for the knife if the astronauts.

Probably not to fight off green aliens with laser guns. ;)

Just because a government agency/specops unit (no matter how "elite" they are) has adopted a particular piece of equipment doesn't automatically mean that it's great.

The specwar spearpoint is a great EDC knife. The chisel edge is not a problem. (the chisel GROUND tanto might be)

Quiet Storm said:
Probably not to fight off green aliens with laser guns. ;)

Just because a government agency/specops unit (no matter how "elite" they are) has adopted a particular piece of equipment doesn't automatically mean that it's great.

Exactly, whoevers cheapest!

GarageBoy said:
The specwar spearpoint is a great EDC knife. The chisel edge is not a problem. (the chisel GROUND tanto might be)

Uhm, I think we're talking about the fixed blade SpecWar made by Timberline, no?

I was jsut making the point that it was adopted not as a weapon, but a tool...that's all. A knife is what you make it...a weapon or a tool.

silenthunterstudios said:
BTW, not an attack on anyone, but I was told by an instructor that knife fighting with the blade upside down is a stupid move used by amateurs.
Disagree, respectfully. As your only technique, yes--but generally the reverse grip is horribly misunderstood by many individuals. I find it invaluable for many situations.

Jump on over to the tactical forum if you'd like, and we'll go over it together. :)

Watchful said:
Disagree, respectfully. As your only technique, yes--but generally the reverse grip is horribly misunderstood by many individuals. I find it invaluable for many situations.

Jump on over to the tactical forum if you'd like, and we'll go over it together. :)

I'm getting out of work right now, but I would love to hear more about it. PM me for my email. Thanks. :)

IMO we need to distinguish pikal and reverse grip edge out when talking about reverse grip knife tactics, but I agree that this is a PracTac topic.

Now that I am finally done laughing, I will attempt to put in a cent or two. Just because a company puts the CQC name on a knife, doesn't make it a weapon, or a knife that will be better than another well designed knife. I have been in the buisness for 10 years, and have never been taught to fight in the manner that Dazed is talking about. CQB goes from M-4 to Pistol, and if need be to hands. I carry a knife as a tool, not a weapon. We are taught how to survive knife attacks, but I have never been in a class like the one in the movie "The Hunted". I am not saying I am all that, or that I know everything, but I have been through extensive MOUT, and CQC training. If my firearm jams I can put you on your ass faster with my hands, than with a knife. Now as far as the grind on the knife. Mr. Emerson specifically stated that it doesn't matter what side the grind is on. I am a lefty, and I have carried an Emerson on my weak side (opposite my pistol). I am a lefty. It was a good cutter in either hand. Don't let it bother you with what side the grind is on. I don't carry an Emerson anymore, but trust me, it doesn't matter what side the grind is on. Although a litte funny, this is a good subject.

Oh, and the Sabre grip Vs. the Ice Pick grip is a drawn out subject. I am not a knife fighter, however have talked to a few. To the novice the Ice Pick grip is harder, because you have to get in closer to to use it. You can put some extra distance between you and your adversary using the Sabre grip, but even then, you have to know how to use it properly.

As someone who does alot of training with firearms, I would never give up my supporting hand (left hand) to hold a knife. I'd rather have both hands on my handgun for better control and retention.

DazedandConfzed said:
Ok I have been doing a lot of research on this knife lately and am now the proud owner of one, but I find that many people have nothing good to say about this knife! Why is that? I mean I have read everything from this thing is ground on the wron side, it sucks at cutting, etc. etc. The thing is those remarks are all crazy...why on earth would you get a knife designed strictly for close combat...a knife intended for a weapon, to skin your apples? This knife was never intended to be used to cut boxes and whatnot, it is intended to be a weapon. With that aside I want to address the common remarks of the grind being on the wrong side for right handers.

Ok think about what this knife was designed for...CQC (close quarters combat). Now with that in mind think about how people in this situation will, 90% of the time, have a nice small compact handgun and a knife. This knife was intended to be used alongside a handgun. Did it ever occur to anyone that it is ground the way it is because it would be held in a nonconventional manner? When actually in a CQC mode of sorts the user will have the handgun in the righthand, held as it is supposed to be, while the knife, or the Specwar in this case, would be held in the lefthand, upside down with the handle butted up against the grip of the gun, allowing both to be held simultaneously while keeping control of the gun. Does this makes sense? They use this stance, so to speak in CQC so one can quickly switch back and forth between knife and gun. When the knife is held in this manner, the grind makes perfect sense. Think about this, hell get a knife out or a SpecWar out if you have one and try it. Also, if you have ever seen people actually fight with knives they do not hold them upright in the conventional way because holding them upside down allows for a far greater range of movment. Does any of this make sense? Hell ome people in the military actually grind down the grips of the gun in the shape of their knife handles to better accomodate the knives when they are in this CQC sort of mode, course the grinding depends on the gun and the grip material LOL.

You've been playing too much Metal Gear Solid 3. :p

BVincent said:
As someone who does alot of training with firearms, I would never give up my supporting hand (left hand) to hold a knife. I'd rather have both hands on my handgun for better control and retention.
Very true. I hate to say it, because my room mate (who is a LEO, but spent 4 years in the 3rd Ranger Batt.) and I were laughing at what was said in the original post. No one I have ever heard of holds a knife and a gun in that manner, and no one I have ever operated with has ever modified thier gun grip for thier knife. Sounds like too much X-Box, or hyped up movies.

USAFSP said:
Very true. I hate to say it, because my room mate (who is a LEO, but spent 4 years in the 3rd Ranger Batt.) and I were laughing at what was said in the original post. No one I have ever heard of holds a knife and a gun in that manner, and no one I have ever operated with has ever modified thier gun grip for thier knife. Sounds like too much X-Box, or hyped up movies.

I think his post was meant to be a joke. One that only people that played Metal Gear 3 would get, because everything in his post is directly from the game.

I hope so, because I hate to think that someone really would think that way. I know that it would just be because he is misinformed if he was serious, but it is scary that there are guys out there like that.

Lil Timmy said:
One that only people that played Metal Gear 3 would get, because everything in his post is directly from the game.

Are you serious?

DazedandConfzed,
how old are you? 14?

Nah I don't think his post was a joke. D&C just really, really, really likes the specwar and can't understand why others don't seem to enjoy the same enthusiasm. He has posted several other threads all concerning the specwar. Bottom line I agree with everyone who said that it only matters how you feel about any knife. If you think its the greatest it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back