1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco Bushcraft total failure.(Warning:Knife gore present)

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by savagesicslayer, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savagesicslayer

savagesicslayer

May 24, 2005
    I was out getting some beauty shots of my new knives RC-4 and my Spyderco Bushcraft today.Posing them and the like .I decided to do some batoning.I chose an old board for the sake of ease of batoning and for photo impressiveness(the huge pile of split wood looks cool with the knife).I started fine the edge carved through the wood easy.I noticed the scales started to buckle so I started backing it off.When i grabbed the blade and pulled it up it snapped off clean.The skeletonized handle broke off at the first set of holes.it was a clean snap no warping or bending at all.being a factory second I'm stuck with it so I'm going to have my neighbor weld it.Hell It can't get much worse than this.
    I was really shocked at this.I've batoned a lot of knives through a lot of shit wood throughout the years O-1,1095,A2 all without any issue.If anything would have broke it would've been my NWA Sierra scout on the Fundy Footpath last spring.I beat that knife for all I was worth spiting wood and it's still smiling.
    Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A shot of the broken ends as close as I could while keeping it clear.
    [​IMG]

2. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    Uh Oh:thumbdn:

3. absolutindian

absolutindian

Feb 25, 2008
    Ouch. This does not bode well for my own factory seconds Bushcrafter...

4. awad

awad

Oct 16, 2009
    oh wow, i figured the only issue with these knives would have been the scales.

5. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Wow! Well...that's not going to do you much good in the woods huh?

6. tknife

tknife Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 1999
    Wow that really sucks. I guess I won't be batonning mine anytime soon. I have never had a problem with any knife I've done that with, that is pretty surprising.

7. awad

awad

Oct 16, 2009
    also, did you post this in the spyderco forum? Even though it's a second maybe Sal has something to say about it.

8. Calebklyne

Calebklyne

Aug 5, 2009
    wow thats is pretty bad

even though it is a factory second i would email them and see if there is anything they can do

9. TheGame

TheGame

Sep 24, 2008
    Wow, that is shocking. I never knew why they really skeletonized fixed blades anyway, if you're carrying it I doubt an ounce or 2 would make that much of a difference. (Not sure if that is why it broke, but..)

10. xbxb

xbxb Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Oh well, sometimes when you beat on a knife it breaks. Probably better you found out now then later.

11. savagesicslayer

savagesicslayer

May 24, 2005
    It won't be skeletonized when I'm done.I'm going to have the whole front hole and cracked section welded into a solid piece.No repeats.

12. mtnfolk mike

mtnfolk mike

Mar 21, 2006
    aahhh.. what a bummer....:thumbdn:

13. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    They'd probably want to check it out anyway.

14. KuRUpTD

KuRUpTD

Aug 5, 2008
    Dude, that totally sucks.

15. Jeff S1

Jeff S1

May 18, 2008
    Wow, now that is a failure!
    Those scales look like wax.
    Thanks for the heads up.

16. aarya

aarya

Jun 21, 2006
    From what i understand, the reason why these knives were sold as factory seconds, is the problems with the handle material. The steel should be of top notch, and i'd recommend you to send an email to Spyderco anyway. It isn't covered under the warranty, being a factory second, but Spyderco is a stand-up company. If they don't know about problems, even with factory seconds, then how can they make better knives?

17. TKAZ

TKAZ

Feb 1, 2010
    That's too bad, not a good feeling.

Thank you however for sharing.

18. crossada

crossada

May 16, 2004
    cold steel use to skelotonize the handle on their famous tanto and gave up doing that because of broken tangs.

i assume they skelotonize the bushcrafter to achieve a better balance?? Many customs are taperer tangs to keep the strenght but get better balance but that would probably not be cost effective for a production knife.

19. tknife

tknife Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 1999
    I think most makers put holes in the tangs to help hold the epoxy too.

20. GrinderMcgee

GrinderMcgee

Jun 23, 2008
    The scales I can see. The blade snap is a head-scratcher for sure. I wouldn't expect a much different outcome if you weld it though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.