Spyderco Bushcraft total failure.(Warning:Knife gore present)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Savagesicslayer,

Why don't you send it to me. I'd like to put it through the lab. I'll see what I can do about replacing it.

sal

Awesome! This is why Spyderco rocks, not just the knives but the service.

On a different topic, I hope 'the lab' looks like this:
18218d1241535669-3d-s-m-competition-14-mad-science-laboratory-franklabmainpic.jpg

:D

Wow, this is beyond shocking to me. I really truly hope this is just a fluke.

I bought this as my "One" knife. I'm not much into pretty handles and I prefer users, but I couldn't pass up on this deal. So far I absolutely love this knife. I haven't worked it hard yet as I'm still allowing the handles to swell, which they are doing nicely, while I decide how to properly treat the wood. I've done a little wood carving, drilling and feathersticks, all of which this knife excells at. These are also the most comfortable handles I've ever used, although it does limit some positions. I haven't batonned with it yet and now I'm afraid to, although it's what I commonly do in the wild, so it'll be done to this too eventually.

I regularly baton with Mora's and other cheap knives, and have batonned regularly with 1095 and D2 and have never had a problem. This is my first 01 knife and everything I've read says it's a steller steel, so I'm assuming it's a heat treat problem?

Right now I back up my fixed blade with a folder, but I guess I'll have to back up this knife with a lighweight Mora until it proves itself. I would hate to see a catastrophic failure like this when your life depends on it. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Sal: as always you're a gentleman and a professional so thank you for looking into this personally. I hope that you'll report back to us so we know what to expect. I'm really sorry that this knife has been so troublesome for you. It's a winning design in my book and I'd buy it again when it's all worked out (especially if you made similar handles in thick G10 or micarta).

I had a spyderco harpy (still have it use it as junk drawer knife) I was carving some wood not being super rough or nothing and the tip snapped off. Never bought another spyderco.

Akthor: I've owned over 2 dozen Spyderco's in different forms and have never had any problems with them, other than bending the pocket clips or ripping them out of plastic handles (usually catching a door frame when clearing a room), which I've done to all of the major brands.

Don't discount any quality company just because of one knife. You'll miss out on a lot of good ones that way, and where's the fun in only owning one company's knives?

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've almost bought the Civilian several times, but that's one that you'll definitely break the tip off of. It's the thinnest tip I've ever seen on a folder. I don't really get the knife, it would be difficult to stab with, and I fear it would snag in a slash (yeah, I know it was meant as a last ditch weapon, but I would rather get all stabby if my life depends on it), but I still want it because it just looks cool!

First of all, SS, sorry man, that sucks.
OK, guys...I would point out that this knifes failure in no way is a damnation of all the Spyderco bushcrafters. I have had very tough knives fail on me, and not another of the kind of knife that failed on me, failed for anyone else. Sometimes, there are bad apples. (Busse family)
And I bet that this is something in the bar stock, an imperfection. It had nothing to do with the scales.
Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: SS, was that a section of a staging plank?

I wrote this post (below) on page 2 of the Spyderco Bushcraft Seconds thread on the Spyderco (Manufacturers) section.

At the time of writing, my disbelief was based wholly on the scales issue, but after seeing these photo's, I could never have confidence in this knife, and I say that as a Spyderco owner whom trusts his knife.

No lab inspection, nor eventual replacement knife will serve you in the field should such a catastrophic failure occur, and there's no way of knowing if, or when it will.

Given the remarkable hype that this knife had, the extended lead time to release, the premium quality product status and the prestigious associations, the fact that 95% of production are rejects utterly beggars belief!

The customers are not quality control inspectors.

This model launch is a car crash.

And the car is a Toyota!

I'm surprised by this, it shouldn't have happened regardless of the scales IMO. And since you happen to have been taking pics when it happened, showing you were using it on wood and not going anything crazy, I think and hope Spyderco will replace it with another second. Either way, I'm still a Spyderco fan...

It sucks that this unfortunate chain of events is plaguing such an innovative knife from a manufacterer whose features we usually only see from custom makers. I hope this doesn't discourage Spyderco from trying new innovative designs/steels in the future.

That's why I would baton with my CS Trailmaster and CS Recon Scout.;) I am not a fan at batoning smaller blades unless of course it is a dire emergency.

P3160476.jpg

I'm going to take Sal up on his offer and send it back.
I was shocked as hell.I wasn't hitting it when it broke. After the scales broke away(i figures this would happen eventually) I started hitting the knife back out of the split with my hand and it broke.
I can't fault Spyderco for making a nice feeling knife.it feels so good in the hand to work with .I used it all weekend skinning boughs for bedding at a campsite.This however was the first batoning test for it.

I wrote this post (below) on page 2 of the Spyderco Bushcraft Seconds thread on the Spyderco (Manufacturers) section.

At the time of writing, my disbelief was based wholly on the scales issue, but after seeing these photo's, I could never have confidence in this knife, and I say that as a Spyderco owner whom trusts his knife.

No lab inspection, nor eventual replacement knife will serve you in the field should such a catastrophic failure occur, and there's no way of knowing if, or when it will.
and thats what redundancy is all about. I have never gone afield with a single knife. :D

I am going to work my Bushcraft knife hard this weekend.

That is quite shocking:eek: Good on Sal to step up :thumbup:

I am going to work my Bushcraft knife hard this weekend.

I am gonna do the same to mine tomorrow. I don't have a factory 2nd, I paid full price and have had no issues. I have used mine quite a bit since I got it. However, I haven't battoned anything too hard, tomorrow I will....

I'm still buying the VG10 version with carbon fiber scales when it comes out!
:thumbup:;)

Seriously, I've had part of a GB mini head crack off(they replaced it) I've broken handles off khukuris, and in 93 a friend was cutting some rope with a Buck 110 I'd had since I was 15 (1975) snap off right at the ricasso! And I had used it hard for years!

Anything can mess up. I just hope for Spyderco's sake that a bunch of them aren't improperly hardened.

Mainly I hope this because they went to the trouble of making a really well designed blade, and they have had nothing but trouble out of it.

I think most makers put holes in the tangs to help hold the epoxy too.

not that big, that's more than the surface area of the epoxy can bind to. Which makes no sense. Um.... too much "gap"- 1/8 inch holes, fine. 3/16...maybe, on a really thin knife. but that's kinda large for expoy "rivets".

It's entirely possible this is a fluke. Or that the bushcrafty thing doesn't lend itself well to soem types of heat treatment processes. But yeah, let them know- because I'm sure they'd like to check it out.

Based on where the breakage is, I suspect a full hardness tang being the culprit. But heck, I don't even know what the steel is.

Based on where the breakage is, I suspect a full hardness tang being the culprit. But heck, I don't even know what the steel is.

It's 59 rc O1 steel, you might have worked with it yourself. Really tough stuff.

It's 59 rc O1 steel, you might have worked with it yourself. Really tough stuff.

I've worked O1 a few times. it's reasonably tough. 59 across the tang with that much skeletonizing might still be a bit hard. But I honestly have way more experience with 5160, 15N20, and 1080/1084

the thickness isn't a problem. I've got half a hundred 3/32 spined bush knives out there doing fine. I don't even really think skeletonizing is an issue.

It *is* possible that the steel itself had a flaw. I never would have imagined finding an inclusion in knifemaking steel, but I have. It happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back