Spyderco dragonfly kept me out of the hospital today...true story! Thanks Sal!

Hey guys, I posted this in the general knife forum but I guess maybe it belonged here in the spyderco forum, not sure. Anyway, here ya go.

Hi all, I am going to tell u about my day and it might sound a little hard to believe, but this is exactly how it went down. I have been waiting anxiously for my new dragonfly salt to arrive and I finally got it yesterday. I am pleased with the knife and it came from the factory with a really sharp edge! I hung it on my neck cord and got my fishing gear ready for the next morning.

So, I get up this morning and load up my kayak and take off for the point. Here's where it gets weird...About mid morning I hook into a 4-5 pound needle fish...and he's PISSED! Mid fight, he turned towards the boat and jumped and hit me right in the head! Hard! Seriously, REALLY HARD!! He was moving super fast! Cut me with his teeth! But it gets worse! The treble hook on the 6" rapala in his mouth buried itself DEEP in the side of my head! So now I've got a hook stuck in my scalp thats also connected to a 5 pound pissed off razor toothed fish thats flopping around...violently! Lol, I know this must sound made up...even I'm having trouble believing it! I'm telling you, this actually happened! The guys on the charter boat next to me saw the whole thing!!

So luckily for me, after just a few seconds, the needle fish dislodges the lure from his mouth and swims away. Now im sitting in my kayak with a treble hook stuck in my head! As i said, there was a charter boat fishing the same point and they saw what happened. I paddled over to them and they had me get on their boat so they could help me. Now, I forgot to mention that I was wearing a mesh baseball hat and the hook went through it before going into my skin. So the hat is hooked to my head! Ok, here's where spidie comes to the rescue...the captain pulls out a bait knife and starts sawing on the hat to cut it away, because he can't get to the hook with the hat there. After a couple of minutes he gets frustrated (actually he was kind of freaking out a bit...I kept having to tell him to relax) and said he can't cut the hat away and I should go in and go to the hospital. I pulled the little spyderco off my neck and handed it to him! Lmfao, the funny part is, right then I wasn't worried about the hook in my head! All I was thinking was, "man, this guys gonna crap his pants when he sees how sharp my knife is! He's gonna be so jealous!" Hahaha.

So, about 3 seconds later the hat is gone! The dragonfly ate it like it wasn't even there. The guy grabbed the hook with some pliers and pushed it the rest of the way through my scalp and then snipped the barb off. Problem solved and I went back to fishing. Actually scored some really nice spanish mackerel after that. The moral of this story is you just never know when youre going to need a good sharp knife. Had I not had that little dragonfly on me today what was a minor (though painful) annoyance would have been the end of my fishing and a trip to the ER. So thanks spyderco. I have only had the dragonfly for a day but I'm pretty happy so far! ;-).

68CA7A11-24A4-4745-8FB7-147639C04A41-11370-00000F61344F49A5_zps873a2a6c.jpg

3CEF08AF-B047-46FE-94EA-FAD9B3F9ACFD-11370-00000F614607A14C_zps858b0201.jpg

Man, thats a nice catch you have there !

I've fished alot out of a canoe, and yes I've hooked myself a couple of times. Not in the way you did though with a live fish.
Glad it turned out well for you.

Nice haul! Sucks to get a treble hook in the head. Even worse with a crazy fish still attached. Good thing that capt. was close by and knew what to do.

That is possibly the best recommendation for a knife that I have ever seen. Fish catches you, you catch fish and knife saves you a couple of hundred. Glad you are OK!

This goes to show that not only having a knife on you, but having a sharp knife on you is important.

Nice catch and good story.

I agree with the SHARP knife comment! This was such a perfect example of that too! Lol, I can't describe to u how stoked I was when I remembered my spyderco. Man, that captain was hacking away with that pos blade when I asked him what the problem was. He told me "I can't cut through this hat!" I told him he could indeed cut through the hat and I handed him the little dragonfly and I think I was actually a little cocky...;-). I was polite though. You should always be polite when someone is sawing on your head! ;-). And sure enough, the little dragonfly made quick work of it.

Man, I just re-read this and it sounds like such a load of b.s.! Sounds like I'm making up some kind of fantasy spyderco knife commercial! Whatever, that's exactly what happened! Crazy day for the first day with my new fishing knife! Sure glad i had it though!

P.S. thought hard about getting the serrated version. Glad I had the pe today. That serrated woulda been jerking that hook pretty hard going through that mesh cap!

that's a crazy story man glad to hear it all worked out. So who did you sign the movie rights to? :) hahaha

Sorry you lost the fish! Would have been better if you could have roasted his a$$ for dinner!

....nobody..? ...ok I'll bite. Think you could say that you are 'hooked' on spyderco now...?

No teeth on the dragonfly...I got the pe version. I chopped all those mackerel up into "chuletas" yesterday with a filet knife. It's hard to get a filet knife to cut through the spine of those big mackerel, so I would break the bone with the point of the dragonfly. Worked great! The knife feels pretty light and not overly strong but I'm going to use it hard. If it breaks it breaks, if it hold up, wonderful! I will let y'all know! Btw, I REALLY like the blade shape and the grind! VERY functional! I was always kind of a benchmade fan because their blades just seemed...well...prettier?? But hey man, it's a tool, not a chick! I think I'm starting to see the light. I think I am going to get a manix lightweight now!

And ya, thanks for the props...it was a decent haul for the kayak but nothing like what I did earlier in the week...the fishing has been good the last few days!!

E26152D4-4AE9-459F-B570-85F33DAA5B6A-8391-00000B0D13C302E5_zps59577c17.jpg

E6566CA7-4358-4439-BB94-056E1CDA598F-9483-00000C8768AA312B_zps3942602f.jpg

Awesome story and great catches! I had a treble hook go through my hand up in Canada with a northern pike still attached to it. Did the same think you did, pushed it through, cut the barb off and pulled it out. Since it was a fly-in trip couldn't go to the doctor so just finished trip and got the tetanus shot later.

Back