Spyderco Military CF 52100

I think it's going to be a nice knife, 52100 is a nice steel. :thumbup:

Should be easy to sharpen for the majority and I would think it will darken pretty fast to make for a nice looking blade for those who like that.

Not sure what the actual edge geometry will be, thickness behind the edge so I can't comment on that or the actual HRC hardness.

So we will have to wait and see how it performs in a variety of situations, but I am thinking it will in general do well.

If one has reasonable expectations I would think be they will be very pleased with performance overall.

Should make for an excellent addition to the Military Line and keep the legend alive.

i'm willing to bet!its the same carbon fiber twill/G10 like on gayle bradley and sage 1,stylish but not so functional!really wish they would use the good-stuff something like lighting strike carbon fiber.:rolleyes:

i'm willing to bet!its the same carbon fiber twill/G10 like on gayle bradley and sage 1,stylish but not so functional!really wish they would use the good-stuff something like lighting strike carbon fiber.:rolleyes:

No, it will be the same CF as the other Militaries, Para 2's and Manix 2's.

The only other one I've seen used in knifemaking is BG-42.... still one of my favorite "super steels" even if it isn't used much anymore (sourcing and cost are probably major contributors).

I love all steels where the original intent was for use in tooling, and "discovered" that they also happen to make for a great blade steel after the fact.

Ball-bearing steels make for wonderful blades due to their inherent nature of having to maintain structural integrity as a single point (or points) at any given time (imagine the contact area necessary when you put 2 ball-bearings next to each other, it's very minimal). Now think of the very edge of the knife blade: a very small contact point along the edge and the material you are cutting. Bearings have to be extremely wear-resistant to maintain contact at all possible surfaces. So the heat treat is key, like with any tooling application. Too soft, the bearing develops warping over a long period of time. Too hard can also cause structural integrity issues. Delicate balance of engineering for "just a metal sphere." :)

Maybe Sal can chime in if he see's this, as he is way more knowledgeable than my surface-level understanding. The included Edge-U-Cation paperwork with my BG-42 Military was very illuminating.

Good explanation here. Think I'll have to pre-order now. Thanks. Though I do have to say, it's difficult to get anything in my pocket that isn't Aogomi SB at this point. Hmmm...now there's a thought. Not likely in a Military I know, Seki City and all...but still...what a thought ;p

No, it will be the same CF as the other Militaries, Para 2's and Manix 2's.

I don't suppose you could elaborate on that CF? I have no experience with it and would like to know about its texture and appearance, as I'm certain that like with other CF pictures aren't doing it justice.

I don't suppose you could elaborate on that CF? I have no experience with it and would like to know about its texture and appearance, as I'm certain that like with other CF pictures aren't doing it justice.

It is CF that basically looks and feels just like peel ply G10. It has been used on quite a few knives already.

Back