SPYDERCO SALT THREAD...fishing, ocean, stories, pics and all things "salt"

Wow, I guess the humpbacks are migrating right now. I have seen them from my kayak every day for the past couple of weeks! Today there was a mom and calf about thirty yards from me. The calf was jumping out of the water over and over. I got most of it on video and I'm trying to put it on youtube. Having trouble uploading it, but if I get it up i will post a link. Caught some mackerel too so the pm2 got a light workout when I got in. ;)

2CDA5029-65FB-4D4A-82DB-A65EDA9EB2A0-7601-000009946EBDFB39_zps7fc50f32.jpg

Had an interesting day! Was fishing a popper and caught some roosters and mackerel, when suddenly a pelican dove on my lure and tried to eat it! Poor guy ended up with his whole mouth hooked shut, top and bottom. Lucky for him I was close to shore and I knew people were watching so I had to be a Good Samaritan. He was going berserk and kept tangling himself up worse. I managed to get my hands on him and get one of the hooks out with some pliers, but then his beak was free to open and close and he really went crazy flapping and biting and pecking. They are quite large animals up close. I had my se pacific salt open and ready in the gunnel beside me. If he got too out of control I was going to try to just cut the line or worst case I might have to just end him. Anyway, I managed to duck a few of his attacks (I'm not exaggerating...he was scared and pissed!) and finally got the other hook out of his lower beak. Then, as if his day hadn't been bad enough, he spazzed out and hooked himself in the webbing of his foot. Somehow I got that loose too without catching a beak in the face and....off he flew. A little blood on his lip and a sore foot but he'll be fine. I'd like to say I'm really that great of a guy, but the truth is he was a lot of trouble and if I hadn't had an audience it might not have worked out so rosy for him. :). Oh well, it all happened just the way it was supposed to.

No pelican pics...there was way too much going on, but here's some of the catch.

1529673F-D340-4912-BD7E-414243A20D5F-1938-000002CAABFE10FE_zps2f44e68b.jpg

Just got my first H1 Spydie, a Salt 1 plain edge. very excited so far! I'll drop in after my next canoe trip.

Does this count? I had my Pacific Salt clipped to my waders (next to my hemostats) even though it is covered by my jacket? This is near Show Low, AZ.:D

Sweet! What a beauty!

I will add that a Pacific Salt came in the mail yesturday- Christmas present for my brother.

Great thread, hope to contribute to it in the future. Huge fisherman, love Spyderco"......

Ran up on this guy ad few weeks back. About 7ft long. I was having visions of wrestling him like Tarzan with my pacific salt. ;). Im thinking I wouldn't come out of that as good as Tarzan always did. Hehehe. This was a mile out in the ocean and at least two miles from the river mouth. [video=youtube;zWsnUlXj-7g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWsnUlXj-7g[/video]

That guy will ruin your day Lance!! Being from texas, we have plenty of gators, and for whatever set of reasons, it is completely impossible for me not to mess with them. While out fishing of course. Lol.

That guy will ruin your day Lance!! Being from texas, we have plenty of gators, and for whatever set of reasons, it is completely impossible for me not to mess with them. While out fishing of course. Lol.

Haha, I know, I was all curious and paddled right up to the guy, and then...well, you can't really tell in the video, but once I got within about 10-15 feet, he started swimming toward me! That's the point in the video where u hear me mumbling "mmm, getting a little closer than I wanted." Hahaha. What's that saying? Curiosity killed the cat? ;)

This is a great thread. I love the H-1 steel. I have a few Spydercos in H-1. I do use them for fishing, but I almost always fish fresh water so no salt to worry about.

I know the whole process of how the H-1 steel is made and how the chemicals react, but I was just wondering if anyone has actually gotten ANY component of there H-1 knives to rust? Thanks guys.

This is a great thread. I love the H-1 steel. I have a few Spydercos in H-1. I do use them for fishing, but I almost always fish fresh water so no salt to worry about.

I know the whole process of how the H-1 steel is made and how the chemicals react, but I was just wondering if anyone has actually gotten ANY component of there H-1 knives to rust? Thanks guys.

Welcome to the forum man. To answer your question, no. Mine bathe in saltwater for hours a day and get very little maintenance and not once have I ever seen one spot of rust. Zero, zilch, nada! If mine don't rust then I just don't think you can get make one rust.

Thought I would give this thread a bump since its been lying dormant for awhile. Probably a few new salt users around here with some new stories and pics to share.

Here's a couple to start.
48ADC9A7-FD81-4BDD-8D2E-07E9B4323845-14602-000013CB6986D8F8_zps540b4d43.jpg

E5F47764-427E-4E41-89C2-12358E0E6BC6-14602-000013CB7E08EEEB_zps2bce9def.jpg

57444D5E-2687-4779-AD11-E5B86383ABE0-14602-000013CB98823886_zpsaf92d432.jpg

EB674B9F-F706-47EB-93FF-56FC1D0B1267-14602-000013CC041FE63F_zpsb55eb1da.jpg

Back