Spyderco Swayback. Why not a wire clip?

I'm a huge fan of the wire clip, and also of Spydercos designed by Marcin Slysz.

It was therefore a little disappointing when it turned out that the Swayback will have a shiny hourglass pocket clip. It wouldn't have been as bad if it wasn't so shiny compared to the rest of the knife.
All the other Slysz Spydercos I can think off has a wire clip, and I see no reason to change that.

Rant over.

https://cdn.brandfolder.io/YLOLU61B/as/q8s6re-e93ijc-9hcke5/C249TIP_Both.png?width=800

It would look good if it had the same treatment as the blade. This looks like a really beautiful knife.

Would a wire clip work with a frame lock? I feel like a wire clip would sit weird as the half on the lock wouldnt sit right.

Would a wire clip work with a frame lock? I feel like a wire clip would sit weird as the half on the lock wouldnt sit right.
The wire clip works fine on his Spidiechef.
C211TIP_Both.png

Does look weird. I think I'll be rolling with no clip.

The wire clip works fine on his Spidiechef.
C211TIP_Both.png

Does look weird. I think I'll be rolling with no clip.
Ah totally forgot the chef, was racking ny brain for a framelock/wireclip model.

But the chef kind of demonstrates my point in that the clip has to be positioned right for it to not be affected by the lock bar. There isnt much room on the swayback to angle the clip but that isnt saying it cant be done.

Ah totally forgot the chef, was racking ny brain for a framelock/wireclip model.

But the chef kind of demonstrates my point in that the clip has to be positioned right for it to not be affected by the lock bar. There isnt much room on the swayback to angle the clip but that isnt saying it cant be done.
The slant works pretty good actually.

I think if they'd copied the finish from the working model it would less off key.
DSCF3161.jpg

I never saw the fuss over the wire clip till I tried it 6 months ago. It makes the knife a deeper carry and I love it. I think it’s not on more knives because it’s something you have to try to appreciate. For just looks, the Swayback clip looks pretty good.

I really like the looks of this one. Being a big fan of Swaybacks in general, this design caught my eye as soon as I saw the news. I wonder how it might carry without a pocket clip - might be a bit big in the pocket.

It does certainly look off. I ordered an aftermarket one last night that I hope will match the frame better.

I really like the looks of this one. Being a big fan of Swaybacks in general, this design caught my eye as soon as I saw the news. I wonder how it might carry without a pocket clip - might be a bit big in the pocket.

Yes, probably a bit on the large size without a clip. I've been happy with aftermarket clips. If I can get one of these, and I end up carrying it, I will probably swap out the clip. So, I'm not so much bothered by the clip, but why the heck did the tap the other side for left carry when you can't really open it left handed. It's almost like someone was trying to decide what they could do to make the knife not as great and picked the crappy clip and drill some holes to move the clip for left carry when you can only access the spydie hole from one side...

...It's almost like someone was trying to decide what they could do to make the knife not as great and picked the crappy clip and drill some holes to move the clip for left carry when you can only access the spydie hole from one side...
Ya know, it's funny you put it that way - In my experience, I've never come across the perfect (that is, to my nitpick OCD brain) high-end Spyderco model. There is always some (minor) aesthetic or functional quirk that throws the design off.

Spyderco, working with the designer, is trying to stay true to the design. A wire clip would not be true and might detract from the knife.

Spyderco, working with the designer, is trying to stay true to the design. A wire clip would not be true and might detract from the knife.

I agree. I must be the only one who doesn't like the wire clips. The squared off top is annoying in-hand and the clip isn't robust enough to feel secure with bigger knives.(Caly 3 is the only knife I like the wire clip) That being said, I'm not a fan of the polished clip. I'd prefer if the clip was stone washed Ti like the scale. Similiar to the original prototype.

Also, I agree with the left hand access to the spydie hole. Why not make it a flipper?

I thought about this a bit more. I understand that Spyderco is making the knife and proud of their opening method and of their clip but this one is like slapping a Penzoil sticker on the Mona Lisa because branding is important.

I would guess that this would have probably been passed around during the Amsterdam show and there would have been similar commentary.

It's definately awry.

Yes, probably a bit on the large size without a clip. I've been happy with aftermarket clips. If I can get one of these, and I end up carrying it, I will probably swap out the clip. So, I'm not so much bothered by the clip, but why the heck did the tap the other side for left carry when you can't really open it left handed. It's almost like someone was trying to decide what they could do to make the knife not as great and picked the crappy clip and drill some holes to move the clip for left carry when you can only access the spydie hole from one side...

I thought about this a bit more. I understand that Spyderco is making the knife and proud of their opening method and of their clip but this one is like slapping a Penzoil sticker on the Mona Lisa because branding is important.

I would guess that this would have probably been passed around during the Amsterdam show and there would have been similar commentary.

It's definately awry.

I definitely noted yesterday that this one wouldn't be able to be opened via the "finger flick" (something I haven't quite mastered yet) - the blade sits too low in the frame. I'm not sure how they could have done it any different without changing the lock design or going with a different blade shape though. Both would certainly mess with the lines of the knife overall and I really, really like the aesthetic as it is.

I definitely noted yesterday that this one wouldn't be able to be opened via the "finger flick" (something I haven't quite mastered yet) - the blade sits too low in the frame. I'm not sure how they could have done it any different without changing the lock design or going with a different blade shape though. Both would certainly mess with the lines of the knife overall and I really, really like the aesthetic as it is.

it's just the clip visual for me. If it matched the bead blast finish of the scale and of the working sample then it would invisible.

I like the wire clips a lot myself but in this case the knife never was configured that way to start. The hourglass clip isn't a big deal.

On a more working knife like a PM2 a shiny clip when no other hardware matches isn't as much of a curtains and rug visual as this one is.

Back