Spyderco Techno First Impressions.

Is the clip bead/sand blasted? It looks darker and less shiny than the wire clips I have. I like it!

It is. So are the screws as well. That was a very nice touch I thought.

I didn't notice the screws before, but you're right; they look really good. So many knives don't match the hardware to the rest of the knife (e.g., Sebenza), which takes away from the look IMO. It seems like they thought of everything with this one :thumbup:

I didn't notice the screws before, but you're right; they look really good. So many knives don't match the hardware to the rest of the knife (e.g., Sebenza), which takes away from the look IMO. It seems like they thought of everything with this one :thumbup:

Yah. I seriously have no complaints with this knife at all, thats pretty rare for most production knives I have had. Well rarely nothing major, I usually have a small flaw or two. Action is starting to smooth out. And I anticipate about two weeks for it to be fully broken in.

dab76dc9.jpg

Looks like a really well-made knife, but I don't understand the logic of putting such a thick blade in such a small knife.

I stumbled into Plaza Cutlery today and was enjoying just browsing around that very cool store. Nothing really struck me as a must-have, so I was heading out when there it was - the Techno in the window. Now, I had never even heard of this one before but it caught my eye and I almost got whiplash as I swung around to take a closer look. I asked to see it and in the millisecond that it first hit my hand, I knew I couldn't leave the store without it!

I have big hands and yet it fits great - love the size! I love how stout it is - the blade is very thick and yet it feels totally usable. This thing reeks of quality - fit and finish is spectacular. I'm usually a bit leary of the Taiwan thing, but not anymore - this could be custom, it's that good. Something this good SHOULD have the origin plastered on the blade...they should be darn proud of this one. I am not exaggerating when I say that this is one of the best designs I've ever seen. I was convinced it was an Anso design until I got home and did some research.

Anyway, I could go on and on about it (and I rarely go on and on about anything), but I'll stop here before I sound like an advert. But I really cannot imagine anyone being less than thrilled with it. Yes, the price is a bit steep, but like I said - it's pretty much at the level of a custom, so I'd say it's well worth the price. This one is definitely a keeper.

Last edited:
I have had mine in my pocket since it arrived on Saturday! It will be awhile before anything replaces it I am afraid.

I have had mine in my pocket since it arrived on Saturday! It will be awhile before anything replaces it I am afraid.
I am in the same boat :D. By the way, can anyone confirm that the titanium framelock has been hardened? I heard that, just wondered if anyone else had.

It is steeply priced, no doubt, and I balked at first, but Mr. Sal knows we can't say no to this one. I think also that its not easy to come up with new design variants in a saturated market that still will have mass appeal, but I think this is one of them.

Not sure it's that hard to come up with a hit - spyderco leaf blade, no choil, high-end materials, and I think you have a winner (worked with the Lil Temperance too). I wish they would do the same with a larger knife. It is expensive, though. I will buy one because I'm at the stage in life where I can afford it if it's something I really like. A couple of years ago, it would have been a different story, though.

I don't understand the logic of putting such a thick blade in such a small knife.

I do - there are a lot of uses for a small blade with a strong point and rock-solid lock up.

Not sure it's that hard to come up with a hit - spyderco leaf blade, no choil, high-end materials

What I maybe did not articulate clearly is that its becoming increasingly difficult, in my view, to create a unique design that still has mass appeal.

What I maybe did not articulate clearly is that its becoming increasingly difficult, in my view, to create a unique design that still has mass appeal.

I second this. That is partly why I think I am so attracted to this blade. It is very unique. And made from premium materials as well.

Ugh, my local shop received a Techno the other day, and I come in today and literally like five minutes before i walked in, someone bought the [only] Techno... So, I bought a small sebenza instead (just kidding, well I actually bought it for real, but that was actually planned). I would love to pickup a Sage 2 as well as a Techno soon. I'm in a titanium frame lock mood, and I need something with a Spyderhole now!

Can someone post a picture of he/she holding the Techno in their hand? A comparable photo with a delica4 or something similar would be greatly appreciated for size comparison.

Here you go. Crude shots. But I just took them :D.

In hand.
techno.jpg

Choked up.
getResource-1.jpg

In handle cutout.

Techno2.jpg

I just got my Techno and think its perfect for a robust small blade - even liking the blue spacer much more than I thought I would. Now I just want spyderco to bring out something similar with a 4" blade.

Im hesitant as well. I read elsewhere that this guy was disappointed with the small size. I kinda want to see one in person first i think before i order one.

Back