Spyderco Techno First Impressions.

Knives.jpg

gb%20and%20techno.jpg

southard%20techno.jpg

paragbtechnosouthard.jpg

gb%20and%20technoz.jpg

Technoupsidedown.jpg

I use the techno for mail/opening packages/cutting braided fishing line/various other things where a small blade works well especially in public places.

I think the Techno really does have a place in the EDC rotation. If you ever want to go somewhere where people may frown upon a larger knife, the Techno fits in perfectly. You can have a seriously beefy knife almost anywhere you go. Most people won't see a knife like the Techno as a threat. (Sane people anyway, I know they are getting more rare every day.)l

Also, nice comparison pictures. It looks like the GB is very close to the thickness of the Brad Southard. Is that correct?

Great pictures! But, what does such a thick blade gain.you practically speaking. Why not have a short, beefy frame with better cutting characteristics?

In a recipe, if it doesn't add to the dish, you leave it out.

I love it but I wish it was bigger. If they ever make a 7 - 7.5" Techno I will be the first to sign up.

Great pictures! But, what does such a thick blade gain.you practically speaking. Why not have a short, beefy frame with better cutting characteristics?

In a recipe, if it doesn't add to the dish, you leave it out.

Well there's a bit of a hard use fad going on right now. Maybe that will change in the years to come.

Beyond the fashion it offers a confortable thumb rest for push cuts.
Its geometry is part of the amazement around that knife cutting potential.
Got a Sage 2 convexed too. It doesn't slice better IMHO.
My Techno is surprising.

Last edited:
I'm with nemo on this, I've never been big on whittling or anything. Noticed the first time I got bored and started cutting up sticks that the thumb ramp is very comfortable compared to other knives. As stated behind the edge it is very thin, if its shallow push cuts and such the Techno does great. If you want all the perfect answers get ahold of Marcin Slysz.

Beyond the fashion it offers a confortable thumb rest for push cuts.
Its geometry is part of the amazement around that knife cutting potential.
Got a Sage 2 convexed too. It doesn't slice better IMHO.
My Techno is surprising.

+1 Agree with the spine comfort in push cuts, especially the dipped area in front of the Spy. hole. Also another thing I've noticed after using mine for around two weeks now is that the 2.5+" blade, although short, has almost as much (actual) useful bevel length as my Sage's! Really surprised me with so much usable edge for the small form factor.

It's slicing ability is also almost on par with my Sage 2 (although mine, Techno and Sage 2 are both stock FFGs). I believe the thin area behind the bevel combined with so much blade height allows this level of slicing ability despite the wide spine. All in all, the friendly size, the hip looks combined with such a large amount of utility has made me want to carry nothing else since I got this knife. Maybe in a few months the "newness" will wear off and I'll go back the slightly longer, thinner folders but for now...I seem to have literally stumbled upon my grail knife!

+1 Agree with the spine comfort in push cuts, especially the dipped area in front of the Spy. hole. Also another thing I've noticed after using mine for around two weeks now is that the 2.5+" blade, although short, has almost as much (actual) useful bevel length as my Sage's! Really surprised me with so much usable edge for the small form factor.

It's slicing ability is also almost on par with my Sage 2 (although mine, Techno and Sage 2 are both stock FFGs). I believe the thin area behind the bevel combined with so much blade height allows this level of slicing ability despite the wide spine. All in all, the friendly size, the hip looks combined with such a large amount of utility has made me want to carry nothing else since I got this knife. Maybe in a few months the "newness" will wear off and I'll go back the slightly longer, thinner folders but for now...I seem to have literally stumbled upon my grail knife!

I think that's spot on. The lack of a choil really maximizes the cutting edge in this knife. They fit just about as much as possible. It's still a damn good knife aside from one or two nit picky details. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again if I somehow lost mine. The price is actually pretty good for what you get. Again, spyderco provides a high value knife.

IMG_20130610_182301_zps830f8b11.jpg

See the way it shaves paper?
Even my Caly3 in Blue Steel reprofiled and convexed stays behind.
My Techno goes through it with such ease, it's like a laser and its steel stays sharp.
I mean you don't have to worry about it. It will be a razor for a long time.
Everyone who had tested mine have been simply amazed by how that thick blade got a great edge.
CTS XHP is something great also something about its ultra fine grain structure. It's get polished to well... . :) a polished from Poland. ;-)

IMG_20130610_184219_zps84efce1d.jpg

IMG_20130610_183637_zps6b5558e4.jpg

Last edited:
CTS XHP is a real super steel. I've only sharpened the knife twice even though I carried it for over two months straight. It holds an edge like crazy.

When I add up all the qualities I consider important in a true "Every Day Carry" folder, the Techno beats everything else I've owned to this point. The irony is that I bought the Techno to hold me over until I was able to get a couple other knives I've been waiting to buy. Two of those other knives I was waiting for have now come and gone, while my Techno is still in my pocket!

Anyone who is negative on the Techno probably doesn't own one. I sort of scoffed at the price before I got one many months ago, now it gets carried almost as much as the southard or a few different PM II's. Summer is coming...what better small tank is there to carry when your wearing shorts.

Anyone who is negative on the Techno probably doesn't own one. I sort of scoffed at the price before I got one many months ago, now it gets carried almost as much as the southard or a few different PM II's. Summer is coming...what better small tank is there to carry when your wearing shorts.

I think the fit and finish, the design, the robustness, and the incredible steel make up for the price. I know it's a little steep, but you really get what you pay for.

It strikes me in reading the various posts that there's a recurring theme, not only this thread but others too, where people bought the Techno out of mild interest, or curiosity just to have a little pocket tank and suddenly discovered that there is much more to this knife than meets the eye. I just keep finding more things I like. This is also my first introduction to CTS XHP and I'm starting to think it's my new favorite steel, being very easy to sharpen and yet holding a fantastic edge for a long time. Don't know if it's the steel alone or Spyderco's HT, but I'm fairly blown away. I've always been happy w/S30v's performance balanced against availability and cost, but I'm starting to believe that CTS XHP is on another level in terms of toughness while maintaining edge integrity.

Reading this thread made me want to carry my Techno, and I have been doing so all week. Yesterday I decided to sharpen it up and it was surprisingly easy. I put a ridiculous edge on it in about half an hour. It's been holding a very good edge today through cardboard, tape, strapping, etc. It's showing no signs of slowing down.

Another great thing is how stable it feels when you work it hard. It locks into your hand and there isn't the slightest amount of flex or play in the lockup. Since it's so short and stout, there isn't much side to side leverage acting on the lock or pivot. That helps make it feel rock solid.

The Techno replaced my Sage 1 as my 'Sheeple-friendly' folder. Virtually the same edge in a better steel and a smaller package.

I did 'adjust' mine to suit me more with a tan G-10 back spacer, a thinned snout and a bit of 'de-humping' but that's just my preference...

Techno2_zpse42c6394.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Techno1_zpscf2a2468.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I agree with all the positive comments about the Techno - she pops out with authority, holds a terrific edge, handles a multitude of tasks yet doesn't scare the pants off people...

Ben

Love the mods on your Techno Ben^...the missing "eyebrow" and cream colored spacer (GITD?) make it a little more elegant IMO. Very tasteful!

Back