Spyderco's clips

Come on Spyderco, do a bit better on the clips, I just bought a brand new Ti Military and while the rest of the knife is great the clip has dings, marks and the end looks "chewed up". I've seen this before with Spydercos I've bought new and when I'd call I'd be told I could purchase a new clip, but they would not send me another free, unless I purchased the knife directly from Spyderco. (I buy from dealers, that sell many Spydercos for Spyderco to imply the dealer did something to the knife is crazy, I'm sure the knife had never been out of the box) Anyway, this knife was over 200 dollars and I get perfect clips on knives costing way less. Spyderco should be able to deliver the same on these knives costing over 200. (the Golden models are always the ones that have the marked up clips, NIB)

1z23tqe.jpg

I have never had a problem with the clips on any of mine having scratches such as yours does but I also agree for the money they should be perfect, I dont see why they couldnt just send another one to you im sure they have extras. I think i would see if they would come out with a dremel and some metal polish since the clip is shiny already

if they made all the clips perfect, they would have to charge double the price! ;)

if they made all the clips perfect, they would have to charge double the price! ;)

They do it on the Taiwan and Japan, made ones for less money. I've only had some Golden made ones come NIB with the same type clip damage. (chewed up end and the line of marks, I've seen before)If I resold these I'd have to make note of the clip condition.

I have never had a problem with the clips on any of mine having scratches such as yours does but I also agree for the money they should be perfect, I dont see why they couldnt just send another one to you im sure they have extras. I think i would see if they would come out with a dremel and some metal polish since the clip is shiny already

The chewed up end will never be fixed and they do have extras, as long as you pay for them.

which taiwan models are less money? not trying to be rude but I think the taiwan models are more expensive for what you get, like the sage 3 is more than a manix 2 or the PM2. Sorry about your clip though, that does suck, you could maybe send it back to the dealer for an exchange depending on where you got it. Doubt you will get any sympathy here though, like if this was the kershaw forum thomas would offer to send you a new clip free of charge, but over here the fans will say "does the knife still cut? is so then its fine"

I would be contacting the dealer to see if they will make it right. You might also try sending spyderco customer service an email and inclose the above picture seeing if they will send you a new clip at no cost. Visual evidence may help loosen their stance.

which taiwan models are less money? not trying to be rude but I think the taiwan models are more expensive for what you get, like the sage 3 is more than a manix 2 or the PM2. Sorry about your clip though, that does suck, you could maybe send it back to the dealer for an exchange depending on where you got it. Doubt you will get any sympathy here though, like if this was the kershaw forum thomas would offer to send you a new clip free of charge, but over here the fans will say "does the knife still cut? is so then its fine"

Yeah, I know Kershaw would send me a new clip with just a phone call. Thomas wouldn't have to get involved. I've asked Spyderco in the past about these clips that come like this. They won't send a new clip no charge, That's fine.

Many Taiwanese Spydercos are cheaper and all I've bought have been flawless, clips and all.

I know the knife still will cut, so will a lot of lesser priced knives. I don't use every knife I buy, I use some of my knives. I have no need to use every single one. If I want to keep one in mint condition and buy it to, I should receive a mint condition knife. If I choose to sell this as new later, I couldn't do so. (at least without noting the clip condition) I therefor have my reasons to be displeased, irregardless of what the fans of Spyderco think.

I would be contacting the dealer to see if they will make it right. You might also try sending spyderco customer service an email and inclose the above picture seeing if they will send you a new clip at no cost. Visual evidence may help loosen their stance.

I could have returned the knife to the 'authorized Spyderco distributor' if I'd wanted to pay the return postage and got a refund. I may have been able to get a different knife, if there was any available. It still would have cost me money, to make it right.

I'm sure Spyderco can read this and will/can respond with, whatever they like if they wish. Or they can ignore it, other than that, I'll just live with it.

Ugg, I just bought my first Spyderco PARA-MILITARY2. I have yet to receive it. Is this what I have to look forward to?

I've had one problem with a Spyderco clip - on the Sage 2. The bend in one of the "feet" that nest in the grooves on the handle was bent up a bit - took it off and bent it down. All my Spydies with the "traditional" clips have NOT had problems - with the fit and finish anyways...can't stand the design though!

edit - left out the word "OUT" which totally changed my statement.

How about asking the dealer to send you a new clip? It should be simple for them to do that.

Ugg, I just bought my first Spyderco PARA-MILITARY2. I have yet to receive it. Is this what I have to look forward to?

This is the exception and not the rule. You shouldn't have anything to worry about on your new purchase other than you wallet jumping out of your pocket to purchase more spyderco's. I have purchased 5 para2's in the last two months and none have had any issues, including the clip.

How about asking the dealer to send you a new clip? It should be simple for them to do that.

I would be surprised if the dealer has extra clips. It does seem a little odd (cheap) that they won't send you one. Benchmade is the same way as Kershaw. Just a phone call, and they send out a new one with screws, free.

I would be surprised if the dealer has extra clips. It does seem a little odd (cheap) that they won't send you one. Benchmade is the same way as Kershaw. Just a phone call, and they send out a new one with screws, free.

And fast, too.

I didn't mean to imply the dealer would stock extra clips. I meant if the dealer called Spyderco directly on the customers behalf to request a new clip.

Many Taiwanese Spydercos are cheaper and all I've bought have been flawless, clips and all.

off the top of my head i cant think of any cheap taiwan spyders, theyre all like $100+, where you could get a native, manix, pm2, all for under $100

I'd be upset too Jill. That knife should have never made it out the door with a clip like that.

Back