Stagalicious! Just Stag !!

Good stuff fellas.
Greg

orig.jpg

Rob,

That is absolutely exquisite from top to bottom and the Stag is some of the best I'v seen! :thumbup:

~ ~ ><> ~ ~

Here is one of the classic Ruana sticker line made by the old man himself..

2vxkuhg.jpg

Anthony

Thanks Anthony.

That sticker looks downright sinister. :thumbup:

Rob, that Lanny's stag is just going to get better and better with age. I agree about the Ruana. Heck of a knife there Anthony.

Greg, as always great photos of a great collection.

I tried to do a better scan of these two Henckels lockbacks, but the blades still look dark:

henckelspair038.jpg

henckelspaircl037.jpg

Mike, the Bose teardrop jack is a stone cold killer! One of the best looking knives, and some of the best stag I've ever seen.

Mail 'em out to me Mike and I'll see if I can lighten 'em up for ya. Real beauties !!
Greg

Last edited:
Mail 'em out to Mike and I'll see if I can lighten 'em up for ya. Real beauties !!
Greg

Greg, I don't have your email address on this computer and I don't see it in your profile.

I got those two back when I first started collecting Henckels. At the time I thought they were big money. So did my wife when she saw how much I had spent.

Got the Bose off of eBay as a "buy it now" in 2008 from a real nice guy in Japan. It was a little less than what Tony's knives were going for back then.

What an awesome thread. Mike, Greg, Anthony those knives are incredible. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to let us have a look. I am going to be eyeballing old carving sets too. ;)

Some pretty nice stag hanging around here to say the least.

Yard sales are reported to be stuffed full of fine old stag. Ya'll keep an eye out, ya hear! It is a crying shame
that stag is what it is today. See ya in Atlana Mr. Bastid.
Greg

Last edited:
"Colin, that was Tony's version of a Case 83 balloon whittler. It was made a while back and came with the correspondence between Tony and the buyer and his sketches of the pattern. It's bigger than a regular Case 83, but I'm not sure how big since I don't have it any more. Kerry posted pics of it in the Bose thread after another owner sent it back for a fluff and buff. "

Mike - many thanks for that info (and apologies for my lateness in replying)

Colin

Eddie T. Elsmore slippie
sambar stag, ATS-34 and steel bolsters/liners

it's made pretty well and I'm happy of the trade
has a crack in the stag (center) but it souldn't be a problem actually
has been resharpened and polished, now even has a tip

t5g569.jpg

wupbb5.jpg

hope ya like it
Maxx

Hey everyone,
I really like the look of stag handled knives but there's something I've been thinking about lately and I'm not trying to offend but I was wondering if stag antlers are harvested once they fall off naturally or if the animal is slaughtered for them, I know they fall off naturally but I think I read somewhere that when they fall to the ground it doesn't take long for them to start decomposing so I wasn't too sure, or that impatient people would slaughter the animal instead of waiting. Are there farms where they keep them enclosed so they can immediately collect fallen antlers or something? I haven't been able to find an answer to this question anywhere else so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks everyone.

a1boy: Stag is found on the ground after shedding. There used to be a very good(crooked) collection and distribution system in India but became soooooo corrupt that the government did away with all laws on the books regarding the collection and distribution of stag. Now..for any process to begin again new laws will have to be passed first.....a long, long process. This is why stag is becoming more scarce and more expensive.

I'm with you Edwood7. After being in LE for 33 years and carrying "tactical" items, I'm one of the few old-timers that still carries a wheel gun and old fashion knives. Drives everyone nuts.

Hey everyone,
I really like the look of stag handled knives but there's something I've been thinking about lately and I'm not trying to offend but I was wondering if stag antlers are harvested once they fall off naturally or if the animal is slaughtered for them, I know they fall off naturally but I think I read somewhere that when they fall to the ground it doesn't take long for them to start decomposing so I wasn't too sure, or that impatient people would slaughter the animal instead of waiting. Are there farms where they keep them enclosed so they can immediately collect fallen antlers or something? I haven't been able to find an answer to this question anywhere else so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks everyone.

Your concerns are, as I have been told, unfortuantly absolutely correct ! An Indian Doctor friend of mine, whose family have a large farm in India, tells me he has NEVER, in all the years he lived there, seen any naturally fallen antler on the forest floor - it soon gets eaten by all sorts of critters and insects! He also says that the Sambar deer were being killed in order to obtain the antler to sell (probably for a pittance - but you have to remember India is a country of either extreme wealth for a minority or extreme poverty for many).

Colin

Back