Stagalicious! Just Stag !!

I love looking at all of the stag. I've always liked that set, Greg.

IXL:

IXL002.jpg

IXL008.jpg

whoa!!!! ^^^^^^^^^
THAT!!1 is a knife-whew

Thanks Duncan, much appreciated. :)

There's nothing quite like a Ruana. Nice post, Anthony.

I am in agreement with you on that Jeff. :cool:

What's going on on the back of the spine, sunnyd? Nice knife, BTW.

I'm glad you like her.. That is what as known as a 'parry strip'. Back in the day before Sam Colt made all men equal, the most common of a gentlemens personal defense weapons was the fighting knife. Among many of ones choices was the Bowie knife made popular by James Bowie.. After this knife gained some serious popularity somewhere along the way some smithy filled in the back of the spine with the 'parry strip'. Legend has it that the idea behind this engineering was that this softer metal, 'brass' would catch your opponents much denser steel blade during battle.. And then one would have the advantage of disarming said foe and afford one the upper hand.

I love looking at all of the stag. I've always liked that set, Greg.

IXL:

IXL002.jpg

IXL008.jpg

Mike,

That Stag has some wonderfully hard bark on her there! :thumbup:

Anthony

That's a real beauty Robuck. I been waitin' to see some of those old beauties you got stashed. In for a penny, in for a pound?
Greg

This is a an old Kabar pattern that Cargill used. One of the first Cripple Creeks made. This is the little brother to the larger model I posted before.
Stag matches up pretty good. I hate to have to repeat myself but, I only post photos of the ORIGINAL Cripple Creeks and not the new phonies.
Greg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
That I*XL is fantastic: pattern, shape,blades, bolster and that stag isn't exactly shoddy either:D

Seen it before but can never get enough of that knife, SUPERB! Is it on the Sheffield thread?

Thanks for posting, all shows that some things do get better with age:thumbup:(count humans out of that one)

Thanks guys. Yes, that IXL is in Mick's Sheffield thread somewhere. It has "Virginian" on the blade so it was made for this market. There are a couple of very small pin cracks on it.

Here's a newer knife with stag from an older carving set:

Boseteardrop002.jpg

Boseteardrop001.jpg

Ken,

Tony took the stag off of an old piece of carving cutlery and re-used it on this knife.

All three of these knives have stag that were at one time on a carving set. I no longer have the knife in the middle.

bosestag002.jpg

bosestag001.jpg

Oh my! Now I understand, sometimes I just need more coffee in the morning.

I am glad you posted Mike, that's a good source of great stag not often considered. I will remember to put that in my memory bank and keep an eye out for vintage carvers , maybe not in the best of condition, that could give up their handles for a worthy cause.

Ken

my oh my....the stag on the IXL is awesome. keep them old stag coming guys. and now I think I understand why Tony Bose is THE old dog.

Ken,

Tony took the stag off of an old piece of carving cutlery and re-used it on this knife.

All three of these knives have stag that were at one time on a carving set. I no longer have the knife in the middle.

bosestag002.jpg

bosestag001.jpg

Mike - what model is that drop dead gorgeous knife in the middle ? Can't seem to place it :confused:

Many thanks,
Colin.

Colin, that was Tony's version of a Case 83 balloon whittler. It was made a while back and came with the correspondence between Tony and the buyer and his sketches of the pattern. It's bigger than a regular Case 83, but I'm not sure how big since I don't have it any more. Kerry posted pics of it in the Bose thread after another owner sent it back for a fluff and buff.

bosewhittlerback016.jpg

bosewhittler3.jpg

Last edited:
Mike...oh my....you have got some absolute beauties there....Ive been waiting for a Henckels to show, the knives you have shown us are simply stunning to look at.
The carvers had some awesome stag on them didnt they!...fantastic idea to use again, and be appreciated for another century

Mike, that balloon whittler is gorgeous. I don't know how you can give up a knife like that.

Mike,

I know I am likely speaking for the rest of the crew when I say please feel free to continue posting all of your excellent Stag stash whether we've seen it already or not.. Its all so good! :D :cool:

~ ~ ><> ~ ~

Another Cripple Creek. A special run for the CKKC..

fxzfuo.jpg

2nb832t.jpg

Anthony

Rob,

That is absolutely exquisite from top to bottom and the Stag is some of the best I'v seen! :thumbup:

~ ~ ><> ~ ~

Here is one of the classic Ruana sticker line made by the old man himself..

2vxkuhg.jpg

2uz46z9.jpg

24wr1gp.jpg

Anthony

Back