Stan Wilson Advisor III - a making of thread

PART XV

This how the scales get attached. The round part of the milled pocket on the back of the scale will drop over the discs.

132.jpg

The scale will slide towards the back along the short side of the L until it meets the rear bolster.

133.jpg

It will the slide forward along the long leg of the milled L until it meets the front bolster, tighten the screws down and its locked in place.

134.jpg

The knife is assembled without the blade and the scales are sanded down to the liners.

136.jpg

First shaping pass at 60 grit.

139.jpg

6 grits later, this is a Trizact A-16 finish.

142.jpg

Time to layout the lock cut. The lock angle on the blade has been roughed in, the blade, spine and lock side liner are assembled and
the lock is scribed into the liner, I like to use an X-acto knife for this.

143.jpg

I drill a #60 hole at each end of the lock

144.jpg

This is what I will use to cut the lock, a regular filing jig and a larger version that I made.

145.jpg

Place a # 60 drill in each of the 2 holes drill for the lock and place the liner in the fixture.
I'll put the other liner in the fixture also to even out the clamping force.

146.jpg

To be continued ...

PART XVI

Ready to cut, I'll set the speed on the mill to the slowest speed, 78 rpm

147.jpg

With the mill on I will brig the saw down until it just touches the top of the fixture.

148.jpg

Center and plunge cut the lock. I'll cut in until the saw hits the holes.

149.jpg

The curvature of tyhe saw will leave the ends un cut on the backside of the lock.
I'll turn the fixture around and finish the cuts.

151.jpg

Now that the long cut is made I set up the short cut. I'll place the filing jig on the liner about .010 off the line scribed for the short cut.
The closer this is lined up to the scribed line the less will need to be taken off the tang of the blade.

152.jpg

Drop it in the fixture like this.

153.jpg

Remove the filing jig and The scribed line is now .010 below the top of the fixture.

154.jpg

Touch off the saw as before and make the second cut.

155.jpg

Before I take the liner out of the fixture I will sand the face of the lock to 400 grit.

156.jpg

I don't like to over cut with the saw so there is a little web I will cut out with a jewelers saw.

157.jpg

To be continued ...

PART XVII

Flame the lock.

159.jpg

Sand the lock cuts.

160.jpg

Even though this side can never be seen unless the knife is disassembled I'll sand it anyways.

161.jpg

Bend the lock.

162.jpg

After the lock is bent I will dykem the tang of the blade and assemble the knife.
I scribe a line along the lock face onto the blade.

163.jpg

The tang will get ground down to the line.

164.jpg

This is my set up for fitting the lock. I made this years ago before I had a mill or surface grinder, it's just a block of steel with a couple of bolts
on the bottom to tilt it to the angle. There are an 1/8" and a 3/16" pivot pin at the front edge and a few holes for a stop pin to drop into.

165.jpg

To be continued ...

This is probably the most detailed WIP Thread I have ever seen!
Exciting to follow Stan's artistry.

Thanks Stan and thanks Jochen for the in-progress presentation!

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

PART XVIII

The blade fits over a pivot pin and a stop pin keeps it from rotating, The tang is lined up with the platen and a bar is clamped to the work rest
to keep it in line. Grind a little off the tang and check the fit, minor adjustments can be made by tapping the guide bar lightly left or right.
This allows the blade to be removed from the block to check the fit and then placed back exactly in the same place.

166.jpg

Almost there.

167.jpg

This is where I want the lock to fit.

168.jpg

169.jpg

I have marked the spine for grinding the tail fin.

170.jpg

This is a Trizact A-16 finish

171.jpg

Both sides of the fin have been ground and hand sanded to 1500 grit and the notches on the back bolsters have been ground in.

173.jpg

Bolsters have been hand sanded to 1500 and the scales have been polished.

174.jpg

To be continued ...

WOW!! what a great post! It is an amazing opportunity getting a glimpse of the process. I like how the pictures make it all look so easy but it really is quite a bit precision work. Thank You:D

WOW!! .... I like how the pictures make it all look so easy but it really is quite a bit precision work. :D

I think that displaying the complex process in such detail
only shows how complicated it is and how much technical
knowledge and capabilities are needed to create such a piece...
And this is before even mentioning the artistic-design talent of
the knifemaker which shines through all he way and cannot be
taken for granted... :)

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

Nice to see Stan's detailed process. It's an eye opener for sure, and a throughly enjoyable thread...:thumbup: Best, Rich

I think that displaying the complex process in such detail only shows how complicated it is and how much technical
knowledge and capabilities are needed to create such a piece...
And this is before even mentioning the artistic-design talent of
the knifemaker which shines through all the way and cannot be
taken for granted... :)

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

David, well said...my thoughts exactly:thumbup:

Marcel

PART XIX

I started grinding the blade, here is the initial grind at 60 grit. I covered the blade with Dykem and scribed a line around the front of the bolsters.
I want the grind line to come right to the scribed line.

175.jpg

Here it is with a Trizact CF A-45 finish.

176.jpg

Down to a Trizact A-16

176b.jpg

Hand sanded to 1500.

177.jpg

The top grind is done and the blade has been dusted on the surface grinder.
I leave the blade a few thousands thicker than the final dimension prior to grinding.
I find that hand sanding tends to roll the grind lines slightly taking that last little bit off the flats with the surface grinder sharpens the grind lines a bit.

178.jpg

This is the finish I get right off the surface grinder with a 46 grit stone. When I hand sand the flats I will start with 800 grit paper.

178b.jpg

Cutting a small notch in the blade with a carbide burr.

179.jpg

179c.jpg

Here is how it looks so far.

180.jpg

181.jpg

To be continued ...

Extraordinary!! This WIP makes it perfectly understandable why Stan's knives are SO SMOOOOTH to open and close. I was amazed when I met him and had the opportunity to handle some knives.

Peter

PART XX

Here is how I do the hidden pivot assembly.

The step pivot is screwed down to the front liner, I have a register mark on the pivot and the liner. The pivot must be locked down and unable to rotate.
The register mark allows for proper alignment.

181b.jpg

I will assemble the knife without the bolsters using the proper sized washers, in this case .010
The screw head is marked where I will modify it.

182.jpg

The pivot screw is inserted into an 1/8 pivot and clamped in a small hand vise.

183.jpg

The sides of the screw head get ground off.

184.jpg

The modified pivot screw is in place and the liner is marked for the slot.

185.jpg

Milling the slot for the screw in the liner.

187.jpg

This is how the slot should look.

188.jpg

I will now heat treat both the pivot screws.

189.jpg

The screws have been tempered to spring temper cleaned up and given a cold blue finish.
The knife is reassembled and the modified screw is installed with locktite, this screw cannot be allowed to rotate during future assembly or disassembly.

191.jpg

To be continued ...

PART XXI

While the locktite is setting up I gave the back fin a little more curve as per the customers request.

192.jpg

Now that the locktite is set the knife is disassembled and I will now show the assembly sequence.
This is best shown without the bolsters in place.

The spine is pinned on, pivot is screwed down on the front liner and a washer is in place.

193.jpg

The blade is placed over the pivot and the second washer is in place.

194.jpg

The slot in the lock side liner is lined up with the modified screw head.

195.jpg

Then rotated clockwise until it is close to the register pin in the spine.

196.jpg

The liner is gently lift up to clear the pin.

197.jpg

Finish the rotation and the liner snaps down over the pin.

198.jpg

Pivot assembly is done, on final assembly the bolsters would have been screwed on first hiding all this.

199.jpg

To disassemble, unlock the knife and reverse the process.

200.jpg

To be continued ...

This is a really great thread. I am enjoying it immensely! Bladeforums should vote for the best threads in a given period. This one would win, hands down.

It helps prevent the lock from sticking.

So it keeps the lock from sticking to the blade when it's locked up? What happens to the titanium that keeps it from sticking? Thanks for your time in answering what is probably a really elementary question, I just haven't seen the technique before in all of the tutorials I am learning from.

Back