Stan Wilson Advisor III - a making of thread

I love that extreme attention to detail, even on parts of the knife that aren't seen or seen rarely. :thumbup:

PART XXXI

Almost ready for the final assembly.

IMG_6551.jpg

It's not a knife unless it has an edge.

IMG_6553.jpg

The bolsters get screwed in place.

IMG_6555.jpg

From the very first time the bolsters were screwed in place each time they were removed, the screws went into the plate in order.
This keeps the screws from getting lost and eliminates any variables in each screw.

IMG_6559.jpg

I'll put the scales on just to double check the fit.

IMG_6561.jpg

The front scale is removed, the spine is pinned in place and the gold signature plate is inserted in the dovetail.

IMG_6564.jpg

The knife is assembled as previously shown ( page 3 post #57). The frame screws are installed and its ready for the front scale.

IMG_6587.jpg

To be continued ...

PART XXXII

The scale is placed over the dovetailed discs (see page 2 post #33 for a detail of the slots in the scale).

IMG_6588.jpg

Slid down to the rear bolster.

IMG_6589.jpg

Then forward until it meets the front bolster.

IMG_6590.jpg

Now all that needs to be done is tighten the screws that will pull the discs down and lock the scale in place.
To do that I will use this tool that I made for this.

IMG_6579.jpg

It's made from titanium with a spline drive key set into the end.

IMG_6582.jpg

Reach into the frame of the knife and engage the back bolster screw, tighten it down slightly.

IMG_6583.jpg

Tighten down the front screw the same way. I leave both screws a little loose at this point

IMG_6592.jpg

Check the alignment of the scales and if good finish tightening both screws.

IMG_6593.jpg

And after all this here are the results, a quick shot of the finished knife.
Now comes the hard part for me, getting a good series of photos of the finished knife.

To be continued ...

Astounding! Astonishing! Incredible!
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

That looks incredible. :thumbup: I wish more people had the time to do WIP threads like this.

Finally I want to thank Stan for making such an incredible knife, for taking the time to take all these pictures and for his patience with me and all my wishes!
This is for sure not the last knife I ordered from Stan.

Then I want to thank Bertie for making this wonderful steel!
This is my second knife with dragonskin damascus and I do already have another piece in my drawer :)

The last 2 1/2 weeks were very exciting for me and all the wait for this knife is forgotten.

I hope you all enjoyed this thread with all it's pictures and annotations as I did.

Jochen, now waiting to receive his new knife ...

Cant say enough good things about this tread. I am in awe of Stan's talent. The birth of a new Grail.Where does the line start?

The most comprehensive WIP I've ever seen.........thanks so much for taking the time and all of your efforts to do this. :cool:

Thanks to Mr. Wilson for allowing all the pictures and sharing so much excellent info.

I feel like some of life's mysteries have been revealed. :)

Hi Stan and Jochen,

The amount of views and praise you have received is completely worthy. I'm seeing names I've never seen before come out with comments. It's THAT inspirational.

Showing the process is a window into engineering genius and masterful execution. EVERYONE is taking notes. But you knew that. Pioneers don't mind.:thumbup:

My very best to you for this. I know this will have an impact in your future. :D

Coop

Back