Photos Stanley Axes, Hatchets, Tools - Show & Tell

No, sorry. I meant the frogs, cap irons, chipbreakers, blades, or the match plane in the back. I accidentally busted one of the parts that holds the irons off the body on it.

No, sorry. I meant the frogs, cap irons, chipbreakers, blades, or the match plane in the back. I accidentally busted one of the parts that holds the irons off the body on it.

No worries! I wish I could figure out a private message. I need some more chip breakers and it wouldn’t hurt to have some extra irons to put a nice camber on. Are they 2” and wider

I think they are 2 inches. They all came off of no 5 planes as I recall.

My wife's tape that she carries in her purse. It's stiff for a little guy and easily read. Six footer that has no automatic rewind.
She thinks I am going to barrow it and not give it back. ;) I am not but this is one of the few tools she has worth owning.

I have not been home or rescuing in over a week but I did manage to nail a few things down for rescue when I return, this guy being one of them...

1896_Stanely_Level.jpg

Stanley_brass_level.jpg

:thumbsup::cool:

Stanley No 4 Trammel Points

Bob

Bob those are beautiful examples and something I have been on the look out for a year now. Time will find me, but those are beautiful!

My grandfather had a whole series of different ones but they were lost to other relatives 20 years before I knew enough to speak up.

Excellent and thank you for sharing. Really great examples

Last edited:
Some new additions, the rulers I have had, they were my grandfathers that he used as an engineer before retiring in the early to mid 1970's. The surform was his as well.

20180922_232621.jpg

#61(with pocket protector) & #32(with caliper), rulers
Pretty cool...Stanley - Bell System straight screw driver
Four Square 1120 block plane

Last edited:
Good morning everyone. New guy in these parts. I have really enjoyed looking at all the Stanley tools. The Stanley brand goes way back for me as does the Craftsman brand. Wanted to share a couple here with you. The hatchet is my grandmothers who is 105 now. It even has very nice grain orientation for a hatchet. Obviously it's not that old and hasn't seen a great deal of use. The 9 inch level was my grandfathers. I really like the rotating vial covers that were offered on this level. Not sure of the dates on either. Both of these tools are still going strong!!IMG_4930.JPG IMG_4929.PNG

I like that old torpedo level. Looks pretty solid and the vial covers are cool. I also like the square shape which allows you to draw a line all the way into a corner. Torpedo shaped levels don't allow that.

Thank you sir, it's quite the small beast. It feels close to 2 pounds so it's not something you would want to carry around in your back pocket all day! I know I didn't show it in the pictures but it's got some very nice machined surfaces on all four sides.

Stanley No 71 1/2 router plane:

IDK if the 71 1/2 is less common than the 71, but for what ever reason when I decided to get one it was harder to find.:( I wanted the closed throat b/c it has more sole to contact narrow stock. YMMV

Some more here:
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan10.htm

Bob

Great looking tool! Did you get the other two irons with it? And I would not say they are “harder” to find because unless you go to a tool show they are both hard to find! I have a 71 and I love it. The real difference I. The two is the “open” mouth allows you to have an adjustable depth stop. Where the “closed” mouth does not. Really they are both closed though. Some people have said they changed it so you could see your work better. But if you need to see better you just flip the iron around to the opposite side and it is wide open. Sadly I have not had the opportunity to buy a 71 1/2. When I get that chance I will be buying one though! Thanks for sharing very cool!!

Oh and to add, if you need more surface area you can add a trued up thin piece of hardwood under the plane. That’s what the two holes are for. So you can make a larger sole or a specific shape sole for a specific task. You may have known all this I just love these planes and love talking about them!! Thanks again!

The iron looks like a pretty simple thing to forge. If you really wanted others sizes you could have them made.

Yes they are. You could order new ones from Veritas also. They have a removable tip and come with a sharpening jig also. I got lucky and have found some in old tool boxes at garage sales and estate sales. They are usually with drill bits for some reason. I have also seen people that have taken Allen keys and flattened and harden them. Mostly for wooden hand made planes though. The .25 inch iron will do most everything. I found one at an antique store but the V cutter really comes in handy. I would get one of those if you can.

Back