• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Starting a knife/edc related YouTube channel

Earlier this week, I posted a thread about my dream of turning my love for knives into a career, and possibly becoming a dealer. This is obviously something that will take some time. I plan on taking VERY small baby steps towards achieving this goal.

One idea suggested by a friend was to start a laid back YouTube channel dedicated to knives and general edc, in an attempt to gain some traction and an online presence. I really loved this idea, and it was something I had wanted to do for a long time anyway.

I've been a member here for a while, and have made quite a few trades. Some of you have interracted with me, but most havent. I want to engage the knife community for 2 reasons: 1, because im truly passionate about knives, and 2, because i know there's a LOT more to learn before I start taking major steps. I figure some feedback and interraction on my channel could really help me gain the knowledge I would need to one day start a small business. Here's my question for you guys. What's the best way to go about getting the bladeforums community to view and interract with my channel without constantly creating annoying threads and saying "hey! Subscribe to my channel!" etc. I would love it if you all came and checked it out, but I don't wanna be "that guy". Any feedback would be much appreciated, even if it is constructively negative :)

Put a link to your channel in your profile & respond to other, more popular youtube knife vlogs. All the best.

I believe that is against the rules without a dealer membership. You should check.

What you should do is get one of those, Heartland.
Yes OP do check the rules. I've been posting on various web fora since the 90's & boy things have changed. You used to be able to post WITHOUT login! :eek:

I think you are putting the cart before the horse. You should be focused on "how do I create good content, that people want to view".

After you know you have good content, based on the feedback you are getting from the small audience, do you want to drive more views.

Start doing it. Perfection is the enemy of the good. Record a review of every knife in your collection, then do it again. Then when you do the third run through, post them. Talking about it, and getting advice is the best way to never start.

You have one chance to make a first impression. And it can easily be ruined by appearing like you are trying to promote your business without the proper membership level. You can call it "an attempt to gain some traction and an online presence" but some might not buy that.

Talk to the mods and get your membership right.

Best of luck to you.

Just to make sure I'm being clear, my goal is to opperate a channel for at least 2 years, mostly for fun. Then if that seems to go well, explore other routes. I really just wanted to be cautious courteous to all of you, and not blast unwanted spam. But I do appreciate all this feedback. I'm definitely glad I asked first :)

Some might think that GKD might not be the best place to discuss your business plans. Maybe Community or GBU or something might be a better spot, I dunno.

Not trying to be a jerk, just saying be careful to not alienate potential customers.

I say just do the review, make sure it's thorough and touches on some good points. If you're good people will watch the recommended, then subscribe, etc. I've found a few different reviewers enjoy just by browsing. Maybe start with some popular models mixed with more obscure ones.

I don't know. It seems like you need more than just desire to make a good YT knife review channel. Look at Jim Skelton, love him or hate him, he's got the gift of a media personality and has the right set of skills to keep you interested and never a lack of seamlessly flowing together words that make some sense. Also, Nick Shabazz has got something going on and I think he works real hard at it. I'm not saying you don't have it at all, but, just be prepared.

Give it a try, I'll subscribe.
Best of luck

Last edited:
I say just do the review, make sure it's thorough and touches on some good points. If you're good people will watch the recommended, then subscribe, etc. I've found a few different reviewers enjoy just by browsing. Maybe start with some popular models mixed with more obscure ones.
^This is exactly what I had in mind. Review, overview, casual talk, etc. That's what I enjoy watching. I've always wanted "talk" knives with people, but no one in my direct social circle is as interested as I am. I figured I could just talk with myself and upload the video. Thanks for your input!

a lot of people here hate YouTube its hilarious.

id def want to see and give your channel a chance. can't say I'd sub or not. but the instant you showcase clones or ganzo's I'm out.

^This is exactly what I had in mind. Review, overview, casual talk, etc. That's what I enjoy watching. I've always wanted "talk" knives with people, but no one in my direct social circle is as interested as I am. I figured I could just talk with myself and upload the video. Thanks for your input!

I posted in your other thread that you probably shouldn't take on bladeHQ etc. in that same vein I don't want to watch some dude on youtube talk about his new Kershaw/CRKT/Buck/ZT/CRK etc., I want to watch videos about knives I've probably not heard of. @NickShabazz recently stopped reviewing the more high end, custom, mid-tech knives for his channel I understand why but but I also don't much want to watch Jim Skelton either. I'd like you to beg, borrow, or buy interesting stuff whether it be unknown European stuff or high end stuff the last thing we need is another ApostleP, Late Boy Scout Nuttinfancy and their kind.

seems to be a whole bunch of reviewers on youtube. too many and many dont cover much or do anything that is much interest to me. now many here love these guys. my advice is stick to the topics covered. so dont ramble on and on like many do. also dont compulsively open and close the knife over and over while talking. make sure you know what youre talking about and try to use proper terminology and do proper editing...sticking to true and keep opinions as opinions....dont push them as facts.

then again i rarely watch any of these...and when i do if its more than a couple minutes long i dont even click on them. good luck.

If you are planning to make $$$ , I wouldn't bother . The field is already crowded . Lot's of competition .

If it's just for the luv and you have $$$ , time and energy to burn , then by all means go for it ! I always welcome good , honest knife and gear reviews . Especially the ones that feature actually appropriate USE and not just unboxing and fondling .

Back