• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Starting a knife/edc related YouTube channel

Thanks again everyone for all the feedback. Ill be sure to keep this in mind while im doing this type of stuff.

I wish I had advice, but honestly, I'm still amazed more than 15 people subscribe to me. I just started on a lark. And it didn't get to the point where it was anything but a huge drain on my finances until last year, and that's only because of Patreon, and because a lot of people have been really generous lending gear. And because I basically haven't had a weekend off for two years. And I still know that even with this success, I could never quit my day job for it. If you're getting into YouTube to make money, don't. it's getting worse and worse every day for knife channels. Do it for passion, or don't do it.

I think the reason I've done OK is that I work very, very hard to keep things structured and honest, and to treat reviews like the lectures I gave when I taught in grad school. I write my reviews ahead of time, instead of just talking free-form. I try to arrange points in a way that makes logical sense, where one leads to the next. And I stick to a defined format. Some folks love it, some folks hate it, but it's about the only thing I'm doing very differently.

Don't mean to discourage, just want to make sure you're not coming into this thinking it's an easy path, or a fiscally rewarding one. But it's a great hobby.

I wish I had advice, but honestly, I'm still amazed more than 15 people subscribe to me. I just started on a lark. And it didn't get to the point where it was anything but a huge drain on my finances until last year, and that's only because of Patreon, and because a lot of people have been really generous lending gear. And because I basically haven't had a weekend off for two years. And I still know that even with this success, I could never quit my day job for it. If you're getting into YouTube to make money, don't. it's getting worse and worse every day for knife channels. Do it for passion, or don't do it.

I think the reason I've done OK is that I work very, very hard to keep things structured and honest, and to treat reviews like the lectures I gave when I taught in grad school. I write my reviews ahead of time, instead of just talking free-form. I try to arrange points in a way that makes logical sense, where one leads to the next. And I stick to a defined format. Some folks love it, some folks hate it, but it's about the only thing I'm doing very differently.

Don't mean to discourage, just want to make sure you're not coming into this thinking it's an easy path, or a fiscally rewarding one. But it's a great hobby.

If it helps your much nicer than my wife when she's teaching her want to be Ph.D's.

Nick, you're one of the Youtubers who inspired me to want to do this. I have spent many an evening enjoying back to back episodes on your channel. You make it fun for the viewers because you honestly sound like you have a true passion for cutlery, and it looks like you're having fun as well. I appreciate the honesty and constructive advice. It means a lot that you took the time to comment. Seriously, im gonna go for it. Really, for no other reason than the fact that I just love knives. I wish I had a group of people I could sit down with in person for an hour a day, and go over everything we love or hate about our blades. I think this is the next best thing, for me at least.

Do it for passion, or don't do it.

That is what I have always thought about when people/content creators were whining about losing Ad Revenue. I mean nobody is forced to "work as a youtuber" at some point everybody did it for enjoyment. Going into something so fickle as a career seems short sighted to me.
There is a difference between rolling a business out of a successful channel and relying on the channel as a business.

That is what I have always thought about when people/content creators were whining about losing Ad Revenue. I mean nobody is forced to "work as a youtuber"

Yeah, but to defend that, even if you know there's not a career in it, running a channel is a *huge* time-sink, and it's deeply frustrating to have your N hours a week suddenly pay (offset!) half what it used to, and to fight demonetizations for every remaining dime. Patreon-style viewer donations are the only way to even break even these days. The vast majority of my videos don't even cover the return shipping on the item.

Even if it's just a side-gig to offset your expensive knife habit, if your neighbor pays you $100 a week to walk the dog for years, then abruptly starts paying $25 instead, it's not a great feeling. But managing expectations will help.

what have you got to offer that all the others that already exists don't? What is your niche? how is your bank roll? These are some things to consider

what have you got to offer that all the others that already exists don't? What is your niche? how is your bank roll? These are some things to consider

Well, truthfully, I dont know for sure that I really have any particular quality that would set me apart from other knife based YouTube channels. This is a new way for me to explore the hobby. A chance to learn and interract with a community that shares the same interest. If it goes somewhere, maybe I take another step. Who knows. On a slight tangent, I like the feedback I get here on bladeforums for all types of knife related stuff because you guys dont screw around. You just tell me how it is, in one form or another. Some people get really bent out of shape when they get a negative response to an idea or thought. Not me. I'm a freakin' car salesman. People respond negatively to me before they even roll down their window, and they REALLY give me the beans when I show them what their trade-in is worth XD. I'm motivated, but WELL prepared to accept criticism and even defeat if for any reason I can't keep it going after a while.

Yeah, but to defend that, even if you know there's not a career in it, running a channel is a *huge* time-sink, and it's deeply frustrating to have your N hours a week suddenly pay (offset!) half what it used to, and to fight demonetizations for every remaining dime. Patreon-style viewer donations are the only way to even break even these days. The vast majority of my videos don't even cover the return shipping on the item.

Even if it's just a side-gig to offset your expensive knife habit, if your neighbor pays you $100 a week to walk the dog for years, then abruptly starts paying $25 instead, it's not a great feeling. But managing expectations will help.

Of course if you at least calculated earnings as a way to offset cost/finance the channel it makes sense that you feel the hit, I suppose in a way channels of your size feel it the most because you do finance your hobby with it more than a YT'er who does it basically to make a living, since those people at the top lose money but still have a large cushion to fall back on, at least to an extent, they might have to downgrade, but they don't lose as much in the grand scheme I would imagine.
I suppose I generally just looked at it as a hobby, nobody forces you to devote that much time and energy into it, nobody forces people to play Golf or Tennis three times a week, practice, buy equipment, pay membership fees etcpp (well unless you're a helicopter parent who forces their kid to do it :D) just from that viewpoint, any Youtuber is in it because they want to be in it, either for money or because they like doing it. If it becomes more work than fun, turns non-profitable I don't see a reason to continue it, especially if it's becoming frustrating.
Not that I want you to quit, I enjoy your content a lot, even though I still imagine you looking like Beverly Hills Cop Era Joe Pesci (Or maybe because of it?). But maybe fan loyalty plays a role in the "sticking to it despite YT being ungrateful to the people who create their content" mentality. :thumbsup:

Well, truthfully, I dont know for sure that I really have any particular quality that would set me apart from other knife based YouTube channels. This is a new way for me to explore the hobby. A chance to learn and interract with a community that shares the same interest. If it goes somewhere, maybe I take another step. Who knows. On a slight tangent, I like the feedback I get here on bladeforums for all types of knife related stuff because you guys dont screw around. You just tell me how it is, in one form or another. Some people get really bent out of shape when they get a negative response to an idea or thought. Not me. I'm a freakin' car salesman. People respond negatively to me before they even roll down their window, and they REALLY give me the beans when I show them what their trade-in is worth XD. I'm motivated, but WELL prepared to accept criticism and even defeat if for any reason I can't keep it going after a while.

Definitely need a thick skin to be able to do youtube, that or some close their comments section. Good luck with your future endeavors!

I'm still amazed more than 15 people subscribe to me.

Me too! Hell, I'm surprised that you have more than 10! I'm teasing, of course. I enjoy your reviews, and I know I'm always going to get the skinny, with you! So, cheers to you, for your no BS way, of doing things. Oh yeah, and the information's a tad-bit important, too. Now, if I could only get the way you say PM2 out of my head. This is how it sounds, to me: "Pee-Yem-Do!" You're not from the east-coast, are you? :D

Anyway, not to flatter Nick, too much, but I think he's given you some golden advice.

Personally, what I look for, in a review, on Youtube: brevity, clarity, insight, and knowledge.

Good luck! :):thumbsup:

I suppose I generally just looked at it as a hobby, nobody forces you to devote that much time and energy into it, nobody forces people to play Golf or Tennis three times a week, practice, buy equipment, pay membership fees etcpp (well unless you're a helicopter parent who forces their kid to do it :D) just from that viewpoint, any Youtuber is in it because they want to be in it, either for money or because they like doing it. If it becomes more work than fun, turns non-profitable I don't see a reason to continue it, especially if it's becoming frustrating.

Absolutely, it's optional. And I think the happiest YouTubers treat it like that, as I did early on. "Do what's fun, then stop". But if you have any desires to grow the channel, particularly if you have fantasies of it becoming cash-positive, one consistently-heard tip is that you need to post consistently. And consistent posting requires consistent filming, and working through gear. And consistent interaction. Dealing with the comments. I have better commenters than many, but yeah, thick skin is a must.

There is absolutely a sense of fan loyalty that drives me, especially given how loyal and generous my fans have been. But "do it for passion" doesn't always mean it won't be frustrating. Now, off to film a review of a sharpened brick.

Since you asked...

What makes what you think about a knife important to a potential viewer?

Are you someone who's opinion deserves more respect than someone else's? Why?

Are you an expert on any aspect of knife making, forging, metallurgy, machining, or anything else that makes what you think more valuable than someone else?

Bottom line, why should anyone listen to what you have to say?

If you can honestly answer the above and have something of value to offer you might do well, if you can't or don't, you won't.

Since you asked...

What makes what you think about a knife important to a potential viewer?

Are you someone who's opinion deserves more respect than someone else's? Why?

Are you an expert on any aspect of knife making, forging, metallurgy, machining, or anything else that makes what you think more valuable than someone else?

Bottom line, why should anyone listen to what you have to say?

If you can honestly answer the above and have something of value to offer you might do well, if you can't or don't, you won't.

I am actually none of the things you listed. What I am is someone who has collected, traded, bought, sold, handled, and used knives from the cheap, mid range, production, high end production, midtech, and custom archetypes of folding knives (60+), honestly, similar to many here on the forums. I may not offer much in terms of quality content to a knife maker or metallurgist, but I hope, at least, that I can offer some clarification on what to expect from each individual category, as well as my own personal experiences with some of these folders. General entertainment would be a key focus. I want to learn as much as I want to entertain. The channel would be a building block in more than one way. Right now, its just fun. If I go for a year +? Who knows. Its an excuse and opportunity to try new things.

If it's just for the luv and you have $$$ , time and energy to burn , then by all means go for it ! I always welcome good , honest knife and gear reviews . Especially the ones that feature actually appropriate USE and not just unboxing and fondling .
Yes useful information first, then add personality. Fondling is not very informative. Comparisons to other knives can be very helpful.

Make a dozen videos then wait a month and watch them.
If you're still enthused post them on utube.

Give hard, accurate measurements, "Oh, this knife has a pretty fine tip..." Oh, really? How many degrees? His does that compare to a PM2, ditto with thickness behind the edge and at different portions of the spine if there's a distal taper. "Oh, this edge has quite a bit of belly," great, I can see that. Trace the edge profile of a variety of popular blades, laminate that and use it as a direct comparison tool to show us what, "quite a bit of belly" means.

Do away with imprecise language as much as possible. This hobby is loads of fun, but it is drowning in subjective, anecdotal BS at worst and backyard science at best. Measure what they do in the official specs and compare them, but also measure things they don't and give those specs.

SHOW THE KNIFE CUTTING! Use a variety of media and compare cutting performance to other blades. Cut wood, thick cardboard, thin cardboard, tape to see how bad the blade gunks up, maybe some food when it's nice and clean, cordage, plastic, rubber.

Remember there are thousands of channels out there right now and they all have the advantage of already being established. Do something different or better.

How about starting a youtube channel that reviews those reviewers and their reviews? Must be fun to watch.

Greetings

I checked out you channel, liked what i saw and subbed it

keep up the good work

Back