Stellite 6B and 6K

I dont want my blades cut out by any engineers or anyone else...how much does it cost per POUND?????? what is so difficult about that question....If you cant post the price here THEN I DONT WANT ANY......do you understand.

------------------
http://www.mayoknives.com

Tom, I think you're wasting your time, they aren't going to post a price. I don't know why they even started this topic. I wouldn't use the stuff now under any circumstances, including free. I guess 20 years in the USMC and the US Army made me kind of stubborn and hardheaded, like most retired Infantry Senior NCO's. Time to move on to more important things, like should I have a beer or a couple of ice cubes covered with 20 year old scotch.
Tom

I think this post is a scam. They are trying to keep us from business at hand and incite us to frustration by engaging us in conversation with an engineer. Tom take it easy,one year is a short time for an engineers reply.

------------------
Teach them everything they need to know, let them prove it themselves!

smile.gif
where do you get 20 year old scotch?? I used to know some jokes about engineers and lawyers and such...but i forgot them all.

------------------

Originally posted by db:
Why would you recommend 6K over 6B, for knives?
I would still like to know this.
Btw I would not post the price in this thread. Tom he gave you a toll free number to call, what is your problem? This is not the right forum for prices anyway.

db; apparently you are unaware of one of the tacit rules of the forum. The forum exists to spread information so that all can benefit. This is done freely and with great cooperation by manufacturers. Consider when Carbide Processors came on line a little over a year ago. They were right up front with their pricing, $140/lb. As you probably know, many knifesmiths are now using Talonite (r) despite the price. CPM steels are known to be about $50 a pound; pricing is not a secret thing; not something to be confined to a phone call.

You probably haven't been around enough to remember when Benchmade fired a very popular person who had interacted with posters and consumers in a very vital, interested and involved way. BM replaced him with a nameless committee, and referred a number of issues to a phone number. These actions caused the BM forum to nearly become extinct.

This is an age of open information exchange, and consumer driven companies. There is no place for hiding information, unless it would reveal proprietary information. Referring people to a phone number is now considered insulting, if the issue involved is of general interest. Consider the tenor of the forumites who are asking about pricing, if you need more convincing.

I believe Deloro Stellite is unfamiliar with the expected and proper behavior on the forums; they picked a particularly bad one, as well, to start off with, as this forum is comprised primarily of knifesmiths. These people tend to be independent, strong willed, and since they share their expertise and knowledge unselfishly with others, they expect to be treated in the same manner.

Let's just give DS a little more time to get in the swing of things, OK? Walt

Deloro you are right we are a tough group. The reason for this is simple, we are not a group of hobby makers. Most of the regulars here are making knives for a living or at least making a large part of our income from the business. We take time from our busy schedules to visit this and other forums to try to keep up to the trends and advances in the trade. You will no doubt note that our exchanges are frank and open, this is the only trade where a maker can go to his competitor and ask "how did you do that?" and get complete details on how, what tools were used and where to get the special tools.

We value this frankness in our forums. I would suggest that you get the people in Belleville to post a simple price list with price per pound, thicknesses available, weight per square inch, cutting charge per inch and cutting setup charge. This would allow an individual to make an informed decision.

------------------
george
www.tichbourneknives.com
sales@tichbourneknives.com

Db, check out the links Walt posted above for some info on 6B and 6k. 6B is much softer and weaker with a higher toughness and ductility.

-Cliff

Walt, I stand by my post, and feel no reson to defend it. Your post has not changed my view on this at all.

As for how long I have been on these forums, why Mark is no longer with BM, and how popular BM's forum is, go ahead and spin that any way you like.

cliff (i am NOT attacking you) but how can something be weaker and tougher at the same time? thats what i read in your post. and db, like walt said...i dont want the price for me........i want it posted for EVERYONE TO SEE. i have a good idea how much its going to cost already, and have about 10 lbs of talonite sitting on my bench. I still have plenty of 6K from when i bought a bunch 15 years ago. stopped using it, dont like it very much....too hard to grind, not nearly as tough as talonite is. sincerely, tom mayo

------------------

[This message has been edited by tom mayo (edited 02-17-2000).]

Tom :

how can something be weaker and tougher at the same time

Basically because they are controlled by similar elements of the structure of the material but effected by them in opposite ways.

-Cliff

so thats it...the thread slowly sinks into the horizon? and all this is just like the Shakespeare play? much ado about nothing? for one...I am still waiting for a public display of the price per lb of your product.

------------------

You've sure got that right Tom, in the 10 days we've been waiting for these turkeys to quote a price, a guy could have HAD Talonite from Rob.

Jake

Originally posted by Cliff Stamp:
What are the advantages of Stellike 6K over tool and stainless steels for knife blades?

-Cliff

Stellite 6K retains the edge better than stainless steels. Unlike stainless steels, grinding 6K does not change its properties at the edge. It is a material used in many industrial productions, such as, for cutting optical fibers, carpets, etc..

DS :

Unlike stainless steels, grinding 6K does not change its properties at the edge.

If steels are effected by grinding, can't this be eliminated by the heat treat?

-Cliff

Back