• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Steven Ketchen <spketch> MIA: Overbooked? Off the grid? Lost his phone? What's up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual, very heartfelt and well put Ted.
I'll go one further and bet if Steve sucks it up and comes here to this thread and explains what's going on, at least a little of it, no need to get too personal, the people in limbo would still be willing to wait. IF, and only if, the bullshit stops.
I'm one who has 6 or 7 knives wearing his scales and all are absolutely masterful.
Come on Steve.......take that first step and we'll be laughing about this in no time. These are great people that should never get screwed over.
Still hoping he shows his face.
Joe

We all want to see him move forward even if it's one piece at a time he'll start to make progress, the work will get done and the members will notice. This will be considered a hiccup that he was able to overcome and the business will continue unabated.

People talk and his work is not just show here where he get a steady stream of income but his other avenues for revenue too. The knife community is a small community and news travels fast, especially bad new and bad reviews. There are many people who are chiming in to this GB&U thread, cf1969 is just another example of someone who spoke volumes of his work and now has also had to resort to a wait and see attitude.

Steven, fix what you have the material to fix, what you still need to get or can't afford, (which technically shouldn't be anything as you've said before you had the materials or you've had some prepay for. If you need help, it takes a lot to ask but I'm sure if you did the great minds here could figure out a way to help or even donate scale material if the have leftovers as many do. Don't forget about the guys like cf1969 and the others who are being patient too, keep communicating, even if it's an update on this tread once a week, hey it seemed to work for Survive. Like I said, these folks are very forgiving if they can see a change in the direction you're going.

It's still not too late, at the very least send back the knives and work out a payback plan for the money you owe and a schedule with the members who are willing to still wait. If you're transparent and you get all the principals involved with working out some type of plan to resolve it all, i'd be willing to bet before this time next year you'll be caught up and taking orders that you can fulfill again. Knowing most of these knife knuts here you'd wind up with more work because even through adversity they see you can work it out keeping everyone happy. Well most of them anyway. :)

....Never would have thought I'd see his name in a thread like this.
Joe

You damn right, Joe.

But I've tried my best to lay out what it took for me to even contemplate starting it up. I've literally lost sleep over it, not so much about the knives or the coin...but the feeling I've been mislead-- lied to really-- by someone I trusted...it's more than a little painful.

I DID NOT wanna be that guy who lodged the first complaint about THE MAN...

Peteytwopointone

Thanks for the heads up, thought I was the only one dangling in the wind.

I have never done business with Steve but did like the feedback on his forum from other memebers, until Having dealt with him. He sure didn't wastr anytime cashing the check I sent along with my GB2. He apologized for the delay told me my knife would be, ready in a couple of weeks and that my GB(original) would get priority status when I sent it to him for scales. That was June 13... I have sent him numerous emails and did write him a letter... no response.

At this point in time I am considering legal action, but is it worth the hassle for $300.00 of merchandise and services not fullfilled.

I might just say to heck with it, bite the bullet and purchase a new GB2. Don't think I would send him another knife after this mess. Unless he can come up some damn good rationale for stringing folks along.

Steve if your reading these posts you are screwing a lot of good people who are willing to purchase your services but continue down the road your going and watch your reputation go watch your business go and earn the scorn of many.

Oh my.....

I have never dealt with spketch yet. But after seeing the grand finale of Shepard CC (for me), and with recommendations from other forumites, I bookmarked his Instagram and started to dig into the works with the intent to purchase a few in the near future.

I guess I have to start my search again for other scale makers……

Oh my.....

I have never dealt with spketch yet. But after seeing the grand finale of Shepard CC (for me), and with recommendations from other forumites, I bookmarked his Instagram and started to dig into the works with the intent to purchase a few in the near future.

I guess I have to start my search again for other scale makers……

Evidentially the life of a knife pimper is one fraught with the need for extra jobs to support one's passion to craft masterpieces of functional art.

I should have known better...I've been told never to eat anywhere called "Mom's Place" and never advance an artist up-front $$$. Well, I've never had botulism....so 1 outta 2 ain't too bad, I guess. :rolleyes:

I'd really like to have him knock out my commission before the PayPal clock stops ticking...but it's so close...I've waited to the last possible moment to give him a chance to pony up and do the right thing. I'm gonna have to contact PayPal directly and speak with a supervisor to see exactly what my options are at this point. This is uncharted territory for me...absolutely everyone I've b/s/t with here has been straight up ACES...now I gotta deal with this mess.:mad:

I am really sorry to see this my friend. I know from the deals we've done together that you are as good as gold to deal with.

If you can get the refund from paypal, take it. No sense letting the clock run out on it. He can always finish up your knives and invoice you then. Here's hoping for the best.

Crap. Another one bites the dust.

I need to get an Endura re-handled before the entire custom handle industry bites the dust. :/

Peteytwopointone

Damn what a way to end a great weekend.... this thread has my blood boiling.

I am tempted to go and pay a visit to my old friend who just happens to be the Sheriff of Kitsap Co. Wa. And see if their is anything on the legal front that can be done to motivate Mr. Ketchem to do the right thing. I hesitate due to his past record and the outstanding work he has performed. I do not know what his current problems are but hopefully he can regroup and make things right with folks. But brother at this,point in time I am pissed off in a major way not just for myself but others here who are also getting the run around.

Peteytwopointone

Damn what a way to end a great weekend.... this thread has my blood boiling.

I am tempted to go and pay a visit to my old friend who just happens to be the Sheriff of Kitsap Co. Wa. And see if their is anything on the legal front that can be done to motivate Mr. Ketchem to do the right thing. I hesitate due to his past record and the outstanding work he has performed. I do not know what his current problems are but hopefully he can regroup and make things right with folks. But brother at this,point in time I am pissed off in a major way not just for myself but others here who are also getting the run around.

Let's give him a minute or two...I believe my PayPal inquiry in addition to starting this thread has got his attention...ball is in his court.

Peteytwopointone

Will do as you suggest... without having all of the facts there could be extenuating circumstances that none of us know about.

It is easy to get ticked off and jump the gun without all of the facts.. and again 40 some pages of atta boys from satisfied customers makes,his current actions seem out of character.

But I do reserve the option if Steve continues to ignore folks who have paid his asking price for scales, and did so with money upfront based on his reputation.

Maybe not....we still haven't heard from him in here and I'm holding out hope he'll right the ship...

Agreed, you need to keep working to an amicable end, if he keeps getting bashed he'll be more apt to blow off everybody and just give up altogether and let the cards fall where they may. He needs to feel like he can dig himself outta this hole otherwise he'll just feel even more overwhelmed and not wanna even try. It's hard enough to come back here and face the people who're lookin' to string you up. Nobody wants to walk into the lions den and you guys have the ability to encourage him to do the right thing. All it takes is the first step and the desire to continue to make things right. Let's give him a positive atmosphere to wanna continue workin' this out. He's contacted a few people I know of just today and that's a start.

Let's keep movin' this forward and make it an environment conducive to resolving everyone's claims. Steve I know you're reading these and you know how everyone feels but it's still not too late to save this, even Pete as frustrated as he is in the back of his head he's still hopin' you'll do the right thing but his patience is running out. I know you feel overwhelmed but it's not too late to salvage this but you need to work out a plan, not just with David, Pete and Ernest but everyone including the people who haven't been waiting as long because they're reading these posts too and wondering if they just made a big mistake. They're watching closely as are the potential customers who I'm seein' are startin' to post things like ...boy I'm glad I didn't send him my knife or I was gonna send him my knife but I guess I'll have to find another modder/scale maker.

This is already building momentum and the longer it goes unaddressed the more momentum it'll build till finally you won't be able to stop it. Then your problems will be compounded exponentially. Don't throw this away Steve, pm me if you want an ear to bounce stuff off, I'll even try to mediate a reasonable solution but times runnin' out quickly so don't wait too long. Tomorrow's Monday and beginning of the business week. It's the day they'll contact the CC companies and ask for charge backs and movin' forward toward gettin' their money, goods or both. I know this is a long post and a lot won't read it TL;DR but I hate to see someone who was spoken of so highly, hell dude people called you an artist, they held you in high regard and considered your work a benchmark. Don't lose it over feelin' overwhelmed and hidin' from the elephant in the room, people see the elephant and you can't hide.

Even if you tried to start over under a differ name people will recognize your work, they'll know it's you. What's better bein' recognized for the quality of your work or bein' identified as the guy who took money and knives then made promises he couldn't keep. There's more people who wanna see you succeed than there are who wanna see you fail but that pendulum is startin' to swing the other way, don't disappoint my friend and you'll be makin' money off the happy members on BFC and they'll spread the tales of your work to all the corners of the community. Just remember they can spread good things or bad, only one is good for your business.

I just wanted to add one final note. I have no dog in this fight other than wanting to see everyone made whole and for you to continue doin' what you love and makin' the members here happy campers who brag about your work like they have in the past. Good luck and make the right decisions, I can't promise this'll all go away then but I'll help if there's a way and at least you'll be able to come back from this. Good luck to everyone involved, I truly hope it's not too late to fix this already.

T Erdelyi

You speak words of wisdom my friend. I will sit on my hands for the time being..... don't really want to go down that route. Would much rather be bragging to friends about the awesome scales on my new knife.

Still no appearance here or any response to E mails sent.
Shit

I have been a fairly regular customer of Steve's since November of 2013, and his professionalism, service, and workmanship have been second to none, so much so that I have always considered him a sort of paragon against which to compare other modders, makers, and other craftsmen. So it pains me to read this thread. I have no special insight or details to offer, I just really hope this gets sorted out.

Same here Bran. Never thought I'd see a thread like this with his name on it.

I have been a fairly regular customer of Steve's since November of 2013, and his professionalism, service, and workmanship have been second to none, so much so that I have always considered him a sort of paragon against which to compare other modders, makers, and other craftsmen. So it pains me to read this thread. I have no special insight or details to offer, I just really hope this gets sorted out.

I'm hoping something breaks today...but I still haven't heard back from my last txt msg to Steve yesterday afternoon.

I just want my $$$ I've advanced him + my knives OR I want the jobs knocked out-- STAT...

He knows this, I've told him.

I will share with you fellas that in the txt I received yesterday he continues to attempt to make excuses why he hasn't finished my jobs --- even thought he's had all the materials he's needed since December 2016 + my front $$$ since March. All the while taking on more commissions and banking coin while I'm sitting like a chump on the back burner. No more Mr. Nice Guy.

Steve, ANY excuse you can summon in the light of these circumstances is LAME and OFFENSIVE.

If a M.D. handled his triage the way you've handled your queue he'd be stripped of his medical license.

Peteytwopointone

Sorry to hear he is still not responding. The more I think or stew about this I am beginning to wonder if this issue does not fall under internet fraud. He advertises using the net and conducts his business using the net. If I am thinking correctly this follows under Federal jurisdiction i.e. FBI.. might be small potatoes as far as the Feds are concerned but your down at,least a $1000.00 I am down $300.00 and what others are out I don't know. I know I keep circling law enforcement but I despise theives, just calling what I see.
For the time being I will sit on the fence and see if PayPal can bring some resolution to this mess.

Peteytwopointone

Sorry to hear he is still not responding. The more I think or stew about this I am beginning to wonder if this issue does not fall under internet fraud. He advertises using the net and conducts his business using the net. If I am thinking correctly this follows under Federal jurisdiction i.e. FBI.. might be small potatoes as far as the Feds are concerned but your down at,least a $1000.00 I am down $300.00 and what others are out I don't know. I know I keep circling law enforcement but I despise theives, just calling what I see.
For the time being I will sit on the fence and see if PayPal can bring some resolution to this mess.

Ernest, fraud is a strong word. And I'm not ready to apply that to Steve.

All my past dealings with Steve have been great.

Somehow he's gotten himself painted into a corner. And that's not a terminal problem for anyone.

But....Steve's got to handle it honorably and honestly to work his way out. And I feel like I'm not getting that from him.

Fraud is something I associate with a pro criminal setting out with the INTENT of ripping people off. I still don't feel that's the case with Steve. He's just not meeting deadlines, he's blowing promises, he's misrepresenting situations, he's making lame excuses, and he's not practicing good business sense. That's the only "crimes" he's committed as far as I can tell for now. He's been solid way too long to turn bad at this point. That's my personal opinion.

I can't tell you how to move forward with your particular case Ernest, but for the time being, I'm gonna let PayPal refund my money and I'm gonna let the community here know if Steve decides to not give me back my knives and my $60 on materials.

I'm not gonna go down the criminal path at this time. I'm gonna handle it here and thru PayPal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back