• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Steven Ketchen <spketch> MIA: Overbooked? Off the grid? Lost his phone? What's up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peteytwopointone

Your right maybe I am jumping the gun and you do have a bigger stake in this affair than I do. Your first in line as far as waiting for a resolution, so I will wait and see how this dog runs.

It's easy to lash out when angry and frustrated... when Inqueries go unanswered it is easy to jump to conclusions.
I payed upfront, something I do 't normally do based on his past reputation and many words of praise for his work. Hopefully the dust will settle and Steve will get back on track. Keep us posted on your outcome. '''Tis for cooling me down.

Update:

Steve texted me tonite and said he'd be able to have my knives completed and in my possession by August the 13th.

If they're up to spec. and the quality I'm accustomed to in Steve's work I will be satisfied-- all things considered.

Although it's just a promise -- he's made & broken a few with me this past year-- I still count this as progress.

We'll see.

I'll keep the thread updated and I'll post up pics of the finished work if it comes to fruition...it should be stunning.

Glad to here he reached out to you but seems others here are also waiting. And not speaking up here dosent help with his reputation at all.

Pete

Happy to read that you at least got a response. I have yet to hear from him but wii try to keep a positive attitude.. hum, maybe a wait and see and hope for the best.

Glad to here he reached out to you but seems others here are also waiting. And not speaking up here dosent help with his reputation at all.

Yup...I'd like to hope he's snapped out of his funk and he's the same old Steve we all have grown to love...but then I remember I had to basically shame him in order to get any response at all. Still, the 1,000 mile journey back starts with the first step...I truly hope this is IT...EVERYONE wants him to return to his winning ways.

Happy to read that you at least got a response. I have yet to hear from him but wii try to keep a positive attitude.. hum, maybe a wait and see and hope for the best.

I have a pretty high degree of certainty that Steve really is trying to keep a lot of plates spinning without letting any drop. I'm probably the squeakiest wheel needing oil at the moment.

I'm also pretty sure he don't want to use his most valuable resource <time> by engaging the thread at this time. It's a double edged sword >>>> he needs to surface, but it has the potential to burn critical time. Still, even a small, limited post acknowledging that he's gonna make you whole too would be very welcomed by everyone. The fact that he hasn't done that hasn't slipped past me and it's concerning, I can't deny that.

My primary reason of starting this thread was to be made whole on my contract with Steve before I ran out of options, of course. But secondarily, this thread can help anyone else left in the lurch by Steve. I am mindful of this also.

And I think it's a good thing that almost no members have posted anything negative about Steve. I hope it speaks to the fact that he's not gotten sideways with many brothers and simply not that there are more of them but they're just unwilling to step out of the shadows. I truly hope it's not that.

As I said, everyone's rooting for Steve...no one more than me at the moment.

peteytwopointone

Well as I stated before this is my first dealings with Steve. Again the 40 some pages of posts that were positive and sang praises at his work did make me step out of my comfort zone and prepay for services.

I hope this was just a stumble on his part... who hasn't gone through a hard patch in His life... hopefully he picks himself up and continues on his way for his benefit and the benefit of others who cherish his work.

I will wait and see somewhat relieved by your post but a bit squinty eyed until everyone waiting for a return on their investment is happy with the outcome. Thank god this thread did not blow up like what happened with Survive Knives... I am still waiting after over two years for a knife and it's already been paid for, Argh.

Thanks for the update Pete, I'm gonna just hang back, you guys don't need me in here. Ernest, he's making contact 1 at a time, that's a good thing, I'm sure he's being more careful and taking his time to think out his scheduling of this. Don't want to see him promise everyone they'll get their knives in two weeks. You know that's impossible. He's most likely trying to do this in a realistic time frame. If we see one go out, odds are more will follow.

Most of you guys have waited awhile, he's made promises and the result should be known in a few weeks. I knew it's hard but be patient a little longer. Remember your knives and his reputation are at stake, wouldn't you rather have your knives? You can ruin his reputation if he's just givin' you lip service any time.

Here's hopin' for the best outcome for everyone. Let me know what happens guys.

Threads like this do make me wonder if it is worth getting my knives customized in the future. I hope promises are kept this time and everything works out in favor of those who are owed work.

PTY2.1: You are an honorable person. Setting the GOLD Standard on communication and patience.

I applaud how you are handling this difficult circumstance. Words can heal OR can deride. You've taken the high road.

PTY2.1: You are an honorable person. Setting the GOLD Standard on communication and patience.

I applaud how you are handling this difficult circumstance. Words can heal OR can deride. You've taken the high road.

Thanks Coop...that means a lot to me.

The damndest thing about this whole ordeal is I alternately feel guilt and indignation for having to be put it this position.

One moment I feel sorry for Steve...I imagine him working 3 jobs and burning the candle on both ends, trying to fit me in. I feel bad because I'm "the guy" who had to bust his gB&u cherry. I just feel sorry...

but then...

I remember the broken promises, the deadlines that've come & gone, the misleading statements of "cutting back" while taking on more commissions, letting customers jump line ahead of me just because I'M the sympathetic chump who trusts him to do his work without blowing up his inbox & phone or ever demanding to watch over his shoulder....AND THEN I GET ANGRY.

After that, I get even madder because HE's made ME mistrust him...then I get double pissed...does that make sense? Can anyone empathize, or ever felt that way? That is, mad at someone because they made you mad to begin with?

Basically, that's where I'm presently at.

This forum is very therapeutic for this kind of thing. Thanks again to everyone reminding me to keep it dignified- I take note of your encouragements, and it really does help.

Still hoping Steve will check in with at least an acknowledgment to anyone else in the lurch. I don't want an apology for one upmanship or validation. I truly want him to redeem himself to me and a few others that I'm aware of.

It is obvious to everyone here that you are handling this mess with integrity Pete.
You do have the right to flip the hell out at this point, but you aren't. It says a lot about you.
Your relationship with Steve mirrors mine and I really don't know how I'd handle this. I hope I would do it the same way you're trying to.
After working with him for over 2 years and 6 or 7 projects, thrilled with each one, this would hurt me as much as piss me off.
He still hasn't replied to my e mails.
Shit

Pete,
This is only beating you up as much as it is because you actually care. For better or worse, you are the one that has this weighing on your mind, and you are hoping that he does too. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case, and that is why you go from being understanding to pissed...

If you stay pissed, you will likely have a faster turnaround time, but never do business with him again.

If you go the understanding route, who knows when you will receive your goods, but you may maintain a better opinion or be more forgiving later on down the road.

There is only one choice for you to make. Either get pissed and stay pissed, or be understanding and let the cards fall as they may. Because if you don't choose one or the other, they will tear you apart...

Choose wisely and Best of luck.

Pete,
This is only beating you up as much as it is because you actually care. For better or worse, you are the one that has this weighing on your mind, and you are hoping that he does too. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case, and that is why you go from being understanding to pissed...

If you stay pissed, you will likely have a faster turnaround time, but never do business with him again.

If you go the understanding route, who knows when you will receive your goods, but you may maintain a better opinion or be more forgiving later on down the road.

There is only one choice for you to make. Either get pissed and stay pissed, or be understanding and let the cards fall as they may. Because if you don't choose one or the other, they will tear you apart...

Choose wisely and Best of luck.

Solid advice...I've gotten a lot here.

I'm getting my head right. They're just knives.

The trouble's worth it just to know you guys will listen to me vent.

I would've never experienced that it this had not taken place.

Patiently waiting for an email from Steve with shipping info with my fingers crossed. No contact since last promise to deliver on the 13th.

Solid advice...I've gotten a lot here.

I'm getting my head right. They're just knives.

The trouble's worth it just to know you guys will listen to me vent.

I would've never experienced that it this had not taken place.

Patiently waiting for an email from Steve with shipping info with my fingers crossed. No contact since last promise to deliver on the 13th.
Cool, best of luck and good on ya for having the mature mindset about it.

If yoy would like to know how I would proceed is; keep in touch with him once a week, ask for an update and remind him that this thread will be receiving an update afterwards whether he gives one or not. For the betterment of his reputation, he would be best served by being honest, and timely because this is being documented.

Pete

He has yet to answer any emails I have sent to him.

Due to the fact that several vendors no longer have the GB2 in stock And Blade HQ just told me their stock was getting low I bit the bullet and ordered one...just in case! Not really expecting anything from Mr. Ketchen at this,point. Will write it off as an exspenive lesson never to front money ever again.
Survive knives made me wait 2 years for one of two knives ordered.. the other is still in limbo.. they have pulled some pretty shady tricks with rtheir so called starter program and that,should have been a lesson for me... but nope had to do it again....frustrating. Hang in their, hopefully he will turn it around. I just bit the bullet cause I wanted the knife in my rotation. Maybe I will get lucky and have two in the stable... I did just send off another email to Steve asking for my knife back, no reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back