STRIDER BT Destruction Test Video completed.

Thats why I bought pressure teated wood. it is usually wet and it is a lot tougher to chop through then normal dried untreated pine.

White pine is a really soft wood, a normal pine 2x4 can be cut in 4-6 impacts with a decent knife, depending on the clarity and density of the wood. Getting it pressure treated does not make much difference. The type of wood and the condition is far more critical. Leave a piece of pne 2x4 out in the sun for a year and chop through it or try a piece of black spruce or rock maple. You may want to consider having a standard reference or some kind of comparison. So after struggling with the Strider to cut/chop, it could be shown how an actual knife would perform. As for general application, most woods that you cut in "survival" situations are actually seasoned because wet woods don't burn well and thus they are MUCH harder to chop then any lumber you buy, pressure treated or not. Of course having the wood in the shape of a 4x4 makes no difference. Note in some lumberjack competitions they cut 4x4, 8x8 and sometimes they just cut logs. They obviously use the same axes/saws.

-Cliff

Thanks everyone for the kind comments and positive, constructive feedback.
I will continue.

White pine is a really soft wood, a normal pine 2x4 can be cut in 4-6 impacts with a decent knife, depending on the clarity and density of the wood.-Cliff
Cliff,so we're on the same page.
Do you mean to say that a "decent knife" can cut a 2 X 4 in a little as 4-6 impacts? :confused:
If so,which knife.

Doug

I'm new here and just want to say thanks for the tests noss4. I'm going to be calling Strider today and ordering my first fixed blade from them, already have most of there folders. thanks to your videos it has shown me that there fixed blades really are badass. By the way did you conduct a soft tissue or bone test, bet it will go through those pretty quickly. I have alot of friends deployed in Iraq and these S,T,R,I,D,E,R STRIDER KNIVES HAVE GOTTEN A FEW OF THEM OUT OF SOME HAIRY SITUATIONS. Just my 2 cents.

.... So after struggling with the Strider to cut/chop, it could be shown how an actual knife would perform.
:) Always like to start my day with a good laugh, Cliff.

That Strider .... I'd like to see it compared to an $8 Stanley Wonderbar sharpened on a $30 belt grinder, or even a lawnmower blade. I doubt Strider would like to see that, however.

So then all the knives he's tested should hack through "normal" trees pretty well then, correct?

"Assumptions" are proven, or not, in testing. ;)

While the things he does may not always be rational, they do remain valid.

anim_rofl2.gif

I think it's already been established that noss4 isn't really here to do real world activities on camera, but to see how far these knives can go.

As I keep trying to explain, a test does not have to be "real world" to be very legitimate and very meaningful.

anim_rofl2.gif

Thanks that was fun to watch. I may have to order my second strider FB.

Right now I'm wearing one as I always do on duty and off. I feel the Strider FB IS the perfect 'rescue" knife. I can cut seatbelts and rope with anything with an edge, give me a knife I can force a door and hack through a wall.

I don't care who makes it. I've looked at many from customs to factory and if someone can make me a better one for my needs out of a lawnmower blade I'll take it.

That was great loved the mask, maybe next time wear a Bush one ?

Thats cool an everything.....

but when are you gunna start testing knives on things they are acualy meant to do?

I'll agree that some will find this entertaining. I think that is fine.

Anyone who posts over the top self promoting claptrap, and does it using one or two nonsensical sentences and a few mispelled words in most posts, should expect to be called out for it. ;)

If these "tests" were advertised for what they are, which is videos of a knife being abused until failure, and not as "knife tests", then I'd be able to take this without comment. But that is not how they were presented, and it is not how many have taken them.

I think us skeptics are those who have recognized these demonstrations (they are not tests IMO) for what they are - not a very good indication of anything other than how long you can beat on a knife with a hammer before it breaks. If you think that is an important quality that you need in a knife, then great.

But I think you are wasting your time posting declarations trying to convince me that they are meaningful or scientifically legit or indicate how good or tough or strong or brittle a knife is.

If someone can tell me what other material or knife properties can be assumed or used for comparison as a result of these "tests", then please tell us skeptics what they are and that can be discussed.

There will always be skeptics no matter what or how it is done. It's part of life.

And I'll grant you have taken the heat pretty well. Better than some of your advocates have. I really don't mean you any ill will.

Ok, I wasn't gonna toss in my two cents, but after reading nine pages, I felt compelled. :D

First, I found your test entertaining. Meaningful in real-life situations? I guess that depends on what real-life is to the user. I am going to be very objective here, and I will point out my observations as a knifemaker. I was not surprised at the general toughness of the knife. Mick and crew pride themselves on making a tough knife. The fact that it broke demonstrates two things. One, there is no "perfect" knife steel. What is fantastic for some uses is not as good for others. Two, you can break anything if you try hard enough. The knife appeared to perform as the maker intended. The knife did not cut cardboard that well. Is that surprising? A blade with that grind is not designed to filet fish or do intricate wood carving. If one is looking for a knife to filet fish, buy a filet knife. If one chooses to carve wood, buy a knife designed for that task. The Strider performed quite well in my opinion. S30V may not be as impact resistant as some other carbon steels, but it does have other attributes that the carbon steels may not (some level of corrosion resistance for starters, it also holds an edge better than most other stainless steels). This knife appears to be designed primarily as a combat type knife. In that area, I feel the knife would work exactly as intended. They are very sharp from the factory, so they will absolutely cut. Is it a razor blade? Ever see a 1/4" thick razor blade? This knife can stand lots of punishment and still be effective as a cutting tool. It's not a prybar, and it's not a razor blade. It is a compromise. Remember that. To the detractors, the knife did hold up very well. Yes, it broke, but that is a function of the type of steel, and the ammount of abuse doled out. No, it did not cut cardboard like a Opinel, but would you want to sujbect an Opinel to any of these tests? To the Strider afficianidos, yes, the knife broke. There is no denying that. No it does not make it a bad knife. Don't blindly accuse the tester of intentionally breaking the knife off camera. I suspect that the break was legitimate, and not surprising given the circumstances.

All in all I was very impressed overall with the performance of both the Strider BT, as well as Crucible's vaunted S30V (which to date I have not used on any of the knives I have made, but that may change). Is this the toughest knife in the world for every possible situation? No. Is there such a knife? No again. Is S30V the best knife steel in the world? Who's to say. Is there such a steel? I haven't found it yet. Does it work well for the intended purpose? It would appear so. The knife performed as advertised, and I am quite sure that the Strider guys would honor the warranty. If the knife in question does not fit the bill as far as your usage requirements are concerned, buy something else. If it does fit the bill, buy one. Simple as that. If I were in a combat zone, and could afford a BT, it would be on my VERY short list of potential cutting tools. If I was looking for something to open my mail or cut tomatos............that's a whole different ballgame. :)

E

thanks noss, i'll be interested to see more. my only complaint is it's so freakin long. maybe a short paragraph of what happens when?

i like cobalt's suggestion of the standard bk7 next to the s30v model. always cool to see s30v break. bust a sebbie as fast as you can, that'll get some people banned for sure.

i also suggest a disclaimer that these tests are not comparative, scientific, real world, or whatever else. each is independent of the others and for no other purpose than seein if it'll take what you can throw at it. the "no more men in white coats" wasn't enough, maybe even offensive to some.

If these are suppose to be un-biased opinions & "test" why in the "Cold Steel Bushman video part 5" do you say " Man who says you need a 400.00 Beuwwsey ? "

It is pronounced Busse ( Bus - like the vehicle & E - like the letter) by the way. & you spell it B-U-S-S-E, that spells Busse in case you didn't know.

You have not even "tested" one of these knives ?
I am sure if you had you would not make a statement like that.

Oh & go ahead & call me a Busse chearleader because I am & I have beat the crap out of a few of them in my time.

It's a fact.

END

If these are suppose to be un-biased opinions & "test" why in the "Cold Steel Bushman video part 5" do you say " Man who says you need a 400.00 Beuwwsey ? "

It is pronounced Busse ( Bus - like the vehicle & E - like the letter) by the way. & you spell it B-U-S-S-E, that spells Busse in case you didn't know.

You have not even "tested" one of these knives ?
I am sure if you had you would not make a statement like that.

Oh & go ahead & call me a Busse chearleader because I am & I have beat the crap out of a few of them in my time.

It's a fact.

END

Don't worry I'm going to test A B-U-S-S-E in case you didn't know. You Busse Cheerleader.

I have to ask you have you ever tested a cold Steel Bushman ? If so where is the video for us to see ?

Don't worry I'm going to test A B-U-S-S-E in case you didn't know.

Hey, we love our Busses, man. Be easy on us. ;)

Seriously, though. I'm eagerly anticipating your abuse of anything from Busse/ScrapYard/ Swamp Rat. These blades have a ton of respect from me.

I have been following these threads for a while now and have finally decided to post.

Noss i enjoy the videos and its interesting to see the abuse all these knives can take.

I do some testing on the knives i make as well and find its always surprising how far you can push a knife before it breaks. I personally dont have a problem with what you are doing, i actually find the videos quite entertaining.

I dont think anybody expects the knives tested not to break. Your ultimate goal is to break the knives.

My only request is that you wont try claim on warranty from the makers. Sure some of the warranty's will probably cover the product and the one that seems to have caused the biggest uproar being the Strider will, in my opinion, cover the warranty claim. The way i see it is that these guys are just trying to make a living selling hard use knives and i think that all the knife tests you have done have proven that they are indeed hard use.

When they decided to offer thier warranty, i dont expect they would have thought that they would have people trying to break their knives on purpose.

Lets keep the knife tests coming and leave the warranty claims out of it. :thumbup:

Back