Strongest folder and most heavy duty fixed blade?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Jay Hiewd, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Poblades

Poblades Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2021
    The strongest fixed I own hands down has to be my Medford .30 thick fixed blade it is in CPM 3v, I have never had an s7 blade, I am assuming most s7 blades with good heat treat would be all you need. Not to be annoying, but I don't think folding knives are "strong" in general, it is good for what it is designed for but I am appalled some people buy "strong" folding knives to cut cardboard and call it "hard use" come one now.

2. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    While it's not indestructible, the .280" SK-5 blade of my SOG S1 is pretty close.

3. killgar

killgar

Sep 24, 2002
    I inherited a set of unused Ginsu knives. For what they are (very sharp, serrated, cheap kitchen knives) they work great. I don't need expensive knives to cut a sandwich in half or dice up a chicken breast, etc.

I once used one to cut the mattress from a sofa bed into three sections so I could throw them away in my weekly trash and save the cost of a trip to the dump. The knife worked great. It sliced and ripped right through the fibrous material.

Cheap doesn't necessarily mean worthless junk :).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    EngrSorenson, P2P and David Mary like this.
  4. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    but... could it still cut a tomato?!

el gigantor and David Mary like this.
  5. killgar

killgar

Sep 24, 2002
    I'm sure it could have, but it was my "outside, dirty-work, utility knife", so I wasn't about to try. Among other things, I had used it to dig doggie doo doo out of the soles of my boots.

EngrSorenson likes this.
  6. EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    well perhaps we’ve found the perfect knife for OP! A poo-scraping mattress cutter... that could probably still cut a tomato.

el gigantor, Tigerfan and killgar like this.
  7. Billy The Blade

Billy The Blade

Jul 30, 2014
    -No suggestions...seems it's been covered,
    but i'm surprised nobody commented on the whys'
    of battoning with a folder...

8. EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    I think mostly because the camp that insists a folder should have that capability and the camp that doesn’t consider that reasonable use have apparently signed a peace treaty.

DMG likes this.
  9. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Because i can, and because i have a folder perfectly capable of doing that and have done so for many years without issue. And because if people broaden their horizon, they’ll find many folder perfectly capable of doing that, as proven in my uses, as shown earlier.
    INB4 this thread turns into another “Right tool for the job” fight again.

DMG likes this.
  10. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    You’re pretty committed to this tomato sh!t at this point, aintcha? How about giving it a rest. Your “joke” went over like a lead balloon.

I prefer tomato sauce.

[​IMG]

11. Billy The Blade

Billy The Blade

Jul 30, 2014
    -Lol, Sensitive toes, I see...
    I'll just wait for the video.

Do you really have a bat wrapped with barbed wire ?

12. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn Enlightened Rogue Gold Member

Dec 6, 2009
    I owned a Medford TST-3. That was a very stout knife.

13. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017

Lucille approves.

Quiet, AntDog, Lee D and 2 others like this.
  14. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I've owned about 15 Busse?? From thin high hardness BAD, to FBMLE and Fat ASH and a few in between.

Don't think I'd ever need the toughness.

I don't own any Busse any more. But have a few choppers left. A couple of Khukri and others. ..

Love me a good chopper! I also have a Zubat Silky saw, and a few machete.

EngrSorenson likes this.
  15. EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    hey man, no issue here- I was just pointing out that people have gotten smart enough to avoid that discussion.

insta9ves and Pilsner like this.
  16. EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    just out of curiosity, why’d you get rid of them? Might be relevant for the OP.

17. Pilsner

Pilsner Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Yeah, it really doesn’t have to be handbags at dawn. It would be unhelpful, for example, for me to state my boring preference for a Kephart/Nessmuk system, as it isn’t germane to this thread. If folks want to baton with a pocket knife - have at it! Why would it bother me? It’s not my pocket knife, after all.

If I had to choose two bomber knives from my own collection, that I would be happy in the woods with, it would be a Fällkniven A1 and a Benchmade 710. I have stronger folders, but I would want something comfortable and suitable for detailed work, dressing and food prep.

Rupestris and EngrSorenson like this.
  18. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    Does it look like a photoshopped pic to you?

19. DMG

DMG Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2005
    When I am making a fire I like to split up little pieces of kindling and tinder to get at the dry stuff i side, among other things. I use what I have, generally. If I don’t have a fixed I will have a hard use folder like a BM Contego.

I am not splitting logs, though. I am making kindling.

20. flbandit

flbandit

Feb 28, 2015
    From my personal knives I'd pick my Cold Steel Recon 1 folder, and my Black Jack Tac-Ops 6. Both tough, sharp knives that would do the job in the woods.