Suggestion box!

I decided to make this sticky to see what you guys could come up with in terms of the kinds of knives you'd like to see being made. Maybe you'd like to see an older DDR design resurface, or maybe you have something on your mind that Darrel hasn't made yet. Perhaps a collaboration with another favorite knife maker. You never know if a concept or design catches Darrel's eye and ends up seeing the light of day.

I guess I'll post ideas I've been thinking about over the years to get things rolling. Maybe a collaboration with Michael Janich. I'm thinking maybe a flipper version of his Yojimbo, but done up with titanium ETAC textured handles. Hell, while I'm on it, I'd love to see a version of the Jani-song.

I also like the idea of a pocket sized fixed blade around 7 to 8 inches over all length, something maybe with a bowie profile or perhaps a more traditional tanto shape like my Leu custom that's below. Of course it would have to have ETAC texturing. I love the stuff.
harkanto.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to see a full-size Kukri folder from Darrel (ex: Cold Steel Rajah/s but better). He would do it right. Slimmer, lighter, bigger, stronger, faster, he can do it...He has the technology:D.

- Titanium handle w/ some anodizing and DDR awesomeness carved into it
- Frame lock
- "Super Steel" ala CPM; S35vn, S30v, 3v, etc.
- Wave action
- Maybe a tanto-point/kukri variation, or clip/bowie point

It would be "THE FOLDER TO END ALL FOLDERS!!!!

A khuk. Now there's an interesting idea. I am pretty sure Darrel hasn't had any designs like a khukri before. That's most definitely an awesome idea.

anything with a TI frame lock is good with me :D oh and ikbs instead of the assited blade would be freaking sweet. Maybe do a collaboration with Flavio ikoma.

anything with a TI frame lock is good with me :D oh and ikbs instead of the assited blade would be freaking sweet. Maybe do a collaboration with Flavio ikoma.

Already done. Darrel utilizes his own bearing system he calls MAXX Glide. The difference between IKBS and Darrel's system is that MAXX Glide uses sealed thrust bearings which means the chance of getting gunk into the bearings is greatly reduced. He's been using this system for many years on his higher end models as well as some of his balisongs. He innovates. I've always prefered Maxx Glide over IKBS and I'm not just saying that because I like Darrel's stuff. But sealed bearings are the way to go IMO.

Already done. Darrel utilizes his own bearing system he calls MAXX Glide. The difference between IKBS and Darrel's system is that MAXX Glide uses sealed thrust bearings which means the chance of getting gunk into the bearings is greatly reduced. He's been using this system for many years on his higher end models as well as some of his balisongs. He innovates. I've always prefered Maxx Glide over IKBS and I'm not just saying that because I like Darrel's stuff. But sealed bearings are the way to go IMO.

ok, then make them in a more affordable series other than the pure customs :D how about that :p

I think you captured quite a bit of Darrel's design aesthetic. Pretty impressive actually.

HTM balisongs, flipper oriented designs in particular. As it seems the market is sharply divided between relatively budget flippers and expensive customs, whereas high end production pieces are mostly discontinued and in the hands of the secondary market now (MT Tachyons, CS Arc Angels, BM42's).

I would love to see a smaller GunHammer around 3". That would be the perfect edc.

I like my knives to be stupid big. Thick as heck blades that are around 4" long or bigger. Drop point, and able to be used for batoning wood. Doesn't mean it should be used for such, just that it be able to. I say this because I EDC a Pohl Force Alpha Two and have used it several times to *gently* baton smaller pieces of wood. (Imagine more gentle tapping through wood rather than wailing on it like I would my BK2.)

Aside from that, my next fave folder is a Kershaw Blur. Not saying do something like that, but the size, weight, ergonomics, everything is just done right on that knife, and while it isn't the heftiest knife in the world, it certainly isn't the smallest. I think a good all purpose knife that is plenty tough and has little in the way of frills and extras is a good idea.

How those suggestions stack up to what you were wanting I don't know. Not even sure if I am making that much sense. But if HTM was to make some knives that could fulfill both those roles, I would be hard pressed to not purchase them.

I would love to see a smaller GunHammer around 3". That would be the perfect edc.

id second that or maybe the framelock gunhammer non assisted with Maxx glide and an overall length of 7 1/2 inches.

I'd like to see a series of DDR fixed blades. Say, a large bowie gun hammer style with machined handles, a non-folding Madd Maxx dagger, anything else that Darrel cooks up. Something big with ETAC!

Back