• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

SURVIVE! Knives EDC-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering how this grind and edge geometry would work on preparing wild game? Most cutlery that I've used for that purpose has been FFG, V grind, or convex, and that made me wonder about the saber grind.

Kudo's on the special promo and price point for a production offering in 3v and m390, I believe I'll have to take advantage of that for my Christmas present. Now just to decide which one as I don't have a blade in either steel, but have been wanting to try 3v.

I was wondering how this grind and edge geometry would work on preparing wild game? Most cutlery that I've used for that purpose has been FFG, V grind, or convex, and that made me wonder about the saber grind.

'Saber' is the most common grind style found on non-chef knives in general, from hunting/skinning knives to scalpels & box-cutters to swords. "Scandi" is a form of saber-grind that simply lacks a clear secondary bevel at the apex. Nearly every puukko and Buck knife sports a saber-grind.

Saber-grind differs from FFG in that it leaves more stock-metal on the blade spine, increasing lateral strength (see Guy's test of his CPM 3V EDC-4). Because of this, a flat primary bevel is more robust (higher grind angle) than it would be if the grind were taken all the way to the spine. This is not the case on hollow and convex primary bevels where the the amount of metal removed varies with the radius imposed and can produce a very thick or very thin cutting blade.

So in general, a saber-grind maintains strength in the blade.

The edge geometry is another matter, varying widely among blades of all grind-styles, dependent upon blade width & thickness as well as grind-radius (flat, hollow degree, convex degree, etc.). The ideal cutting tool is the one which has the narrowest geometry (which also makes it lighter & easier to use) while maintaining sufficient strength & toughness to prevent significant edge damage during normal use. Different steels are able to resist the stresses of use to different degrees, greatly depending upon their chemical make-up and heat-treatment that produces the "steel" carbide matrix. "Better" knife steels are better able to resist damage from normal use or achieve the same level of resistance to stress using less material (a thinner blade).

Guy has designed a knife (from profile to steel choice & heat-treatment to edge geometry) that should be able to withstand an extraordinary level of stress in nearly every dimension without suffering significant damage and still requiring only minimal sharpening to maintain peak performance. And on top of that, it should be very comfortable in hand ;) CPM-3V for toughness & hard use, M390 for incredible edge retention. :thumbup:

I am very excited about this offering and wouldn't hesitate to put it to any task for which I'd employ a knife... other than non-emergency medical procedures ;) I need to keep my job (so I can earn the cash to support this endeavor!)

I agree with the above statement but I would also like to add from looking at his other models that those features are in use on all his designs. I would not hesitate to put any of the Survive models into hard use.

Thank you Guy. I just ordered three from your website. One in CPM-3V and two in M390! Looks like delivery will be between Christmas and New Years.

Thank you kindly.

Mark

Thank you Guy. I just ordered three from your website. One in CPM-3V and two in M390! Looks like delivery will be between Christmas and New Years.

Thank you kindly.

Mark

Yeah, looking at the calendar, I believe they should begin arriving to everyone the first week of the new year. I am going to try really hard to get them out before but absolutely EVERYTHING would need to go off without a hitch. Something that very, very rarely happens in manufacturing. lol Thank you so much for the support. I'll make sure these are nothing short of amazing.

Between the 3v and the M390, which would be more resistant to edge rolling? (I'm guessing the 3v?)
Also, I've read that 3v can suffer from issues with "micro chipping". Is this accurate - have you folks seen this with 3v?

Between the 3v and the M390, which would be more resistant to edge rolling? (I'm guessing the 3v?)
Also, I've read that 3v can suffer from issues with "micro chipping". Is this accurate - have you folks seen this with 3v?
Resistance to edge-rolling (a stretch/compression stress) pertains to steel strength (UTS) and toughness which is proportional to hardness, volume, and the carbide make-up of the steel. At equal hardness 60 Rc with the edge-geometry Guy intends to impose, BOTH of these steel choices will resist edge-rolling very well. M390's carbide make-up grants superior edge-retention as wear-resistance, meaning it will maintain its edge longer against general deformation during normal (low impact) cutting tasks compared to CPM-3V. In harder use (high impact or harder cutting medium), CPM-3V's superior impact toughness means that it should hold its edge better against chipping & rolling, and will suffer only rolls & impaction where M390 would chip away. HOWEVER the amount of cutting and level of stress required to distinguish between the steels in either scenario is exceptional. Extensive controlled cutting experiments may be required to achieve a noticeable difference. A difference would be noticed sooner in corrosion (e.g. salt-water, acid) tests where M390's chromium content makes it 'stainless'.

I have read nothing about CPM-3V blades suffering from micro-fractures, but that sounds like a heat-treatment issue and not a fault of the steel itself.

Manufacturer recommendations are, if your use induces stress-failures relating to impact toughness (cutting hard materials, chopping/batonning) choose CPM-3V; if your use induces stress-failures relating to edge wear (cutting abrasive materials) or corrosion choose M390 (stainless).

Last edited:
Just a friendly reminder for anyone interested in participating. The GSO-4.1 preorder promotion will end this SUNDAY! Yes, tomorrow. Production kicks off on Monday. Not signed up yet? Click HERE to visit the Preorder page now!

attachment.php

Ordered one of these. Curious when they might ship. Haven't seen an update like the chopper thread.

Disregard..... Looks like the other thread is up to date.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back