Tacticlol Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, this thread is about goofy, supposedly tactical knives that are such a joke that they make you laugh. OP: "Tacticlol Knives"

These remarks (see first quote) were about the Spyderco Civilian in case you joined us late. The Civilian is a dedicated self defense knife - in it's niche, and the proper hands, a very beautiful (not ugly) example of a folding knife that's a deadly weapon. The Civilian doesn't make me laugh. I don't own one but I will soon. ;)

I didn't join late, matter of fact I believe I posted on the thread before you did ;)

Fact is that it is a matter of opinion. What one person finds over the top (ugly) someone else doesn't. I happen to find some Spydercos over the top and ugly. It has nothing to do with how it functions.

csstoreonline_2110_6432048.gif

One of my favorite folders but looks quite knarly.

You've obviously missed the point of this thread.

"Post those knives that are called tactical but they just make you laugh when you see them. Whether it be by their name or description or just the way they look."

I didn't miss anything. Thanks for your concern.

Spyderco knives, wether they are functional or not, make me lol at some of their designs, including the civilian. Sorry if that offends you.

Spyderco knives, wether they are functional or not, make me lol at some of their designs, including the civilian. Sorry if that offends you

No, I'm not offended I just disagree about the Civilian - I'd hate to be cut with one those. The other ones are a hoot, especially that little one that looks like a spiderweb. :)

No, I'm not offended I just disagree about the Civilian - I'd hate to be cut with one those. The other ones are a hoot, especially that little one that looks like a spiderweb. :)

IIRC the "S" was a demonstration of metal injection for blade construction.

The other is the Rescue model, which slices through webbing and rope faster then just about anything else I've seen. ;)

Like the OP said, its all in fun. I know how good Spydercos are, they are just not for me. That said I do have a Kiwi and a Dragonfly. I actually just a few minutes ago handed my brother my Endura (I think thats the model). I just have a hard time with Spydie holes...maybe its cuz I have small hands...

Regardless I think more Spydies are ugly :p

No matter how ridiculous they look, I'd hate to be cut by any of them. Cutting ability does not preclude ridicule.

No matter how ridiculous they look, I'd hate to be cut by any of them. Cutting ability does not preclude ridicule.

My thoughts exactly!

This thread isn't about knife designs that work or don't work, it's about knives that make us laugh at the design. Sorry if we've offended anyone, but the Spyderco Civilian is one of those for some of us. Knowing Spyderco, I'm sure it works great for its intended use. Doesn't matter, it still looks like something out of a mall ninja's pocket.

I am a huge spyderco fan, and I agree that the civvy is a mall ninja's dream. Knives "designed for self defense" are almost always idiotic in my eyes, and that one fits the bill. If I genuinely believed I was going to have to defend myself, I'd carry either a big stick or a gun, and wouldn't sit around fantasizing about using a knife to do so. If I'm using a knife to defend myself, I've screwed up something so epically that I probably deserve the combination of severe injury and legal trouble that I am about to experience.

The funny thing is that Zombietools and Darkops have almost identical marketing methods. Just that one is for zombies and one is for terrorists.

Someone beat me to it, but this knife almost makes embarrassed to be a knife collector. But it also makes me laugh. So much so, that I had some fun with my son one Saturday at a local mall. Here's how it went, paraphrased but absolutely true - - -

Me - "Hey Nicholas, check this out over here"

Son - "What is it, Dad?"

Me - "It's a knife. Pretty cool, huh?"

Son - "Seriously Dad, what is it?"

Me - "No really. It's a knife. That would make a pretty cool birthday present, don't you think?"

Son - blank stare

Son - "Hey is that a SOG Seal Pup in that case? Now that's cool"

Priceless

Modern day Karambits entice my laughter (or at least a smile) for a number of reasons. Not all of which are worth going into. I would as soon carry one as wear a T shirt with big writing on it that said "Yo, Officer!, Taze me now please."

The Spyderco Civilian at least has a modicum of sense and discretion to it.

But as others have said some of this is a matter of taste. A thread like this, by it's nature, will have some questionable calls in it. Some fellas really, really like "tactical" knives. Others see the concept itself as a bit silly and juvenile. To get anything outa a thread like this one we will all agree and grin on some of the extremes but also we have to agree to disagree on some of the midway ones.

tipoc

A thread like this, by it's nature, will have some questionable calls in it. Some fellas really, really like "tactical" knives. Others see the concept itself as a bit silly and juvenile. To get anything outa a thread like this one we will all agree and grin on some of the extremes but also we have to agree to disagree on some of the midway ones.

+ 1 So where's TwitchyBlade. He ought to get the hoors of making the last post in this great thread. I've enjoyed it, but I think we've seen about as many fantasy (and other) blades as are being offered. :)

I have a large S&W swat I got in 1999 at a gas station for ten bucks. I have used and abused that knife. It was my edc until about a year ago when the Byrd Cara Cara took that spot. I still carry the Smith for rough jobs and it has yet to fail. It is claimed 440c. I don't know if it is but it holds a fair edge and as I said it has never failed to do the job. Having said that it is a bit tacticlol, hence the all stainless Byrd.

Still have mine too! I think it was a gunshow pick up, I know it was less than $20...I abused the hell out of it for quite a while and it never broke..

Still have mine too! I think it was a gunshow pick up, I know it was less than $20...I abused the hell out of it for quite a while and it never broke..

for how cheap (some) Smith & Wesson's are, they are damn good knives. I have a few of them, and they are all very good knives. The worst I've done to one is break off about 3/16" of the tip; but thats because I was prying on dried, setup jb weld (putty type)

See, now that is the sad part. I think I paid way too much for my SWAT knife. It has been so long, but I am sure that it was more than 40 bucks!

It is fitting though...I learned a lot with that knife. The trip to the ER was a good lesson. Ohh the memories...the painful memories...

I get all "high and mighty" at times...then I remember back to the days when I bought and carried that knife...we all started somewhere. That might be an interesting thread in itself...discussing the knives you thought were cool/great/epic/grail-esque.

The Spyderco Civilian at least has a modicum of sense and discretion to it.

Yes, it is a design to fulfill a specific function, unlike the "tacticlol" designs which seem more aimed at insecure teenagers.
This being said, while Spyderco knives are typically the result of thoughtful design, I do think that -in my unexperienced perception- the Civilian could have been made better. How? Well, by using basic and dirt cheap 420 steel instead of VG10.
Bear with me for a moment:
- A number of Civilian tips were broken when used for something else than "its intended purpose". Now 420 being a more elastic, more tough steel than VG10, I'm sure that the knife tip could better handle some minor abuse with it.
- 420 is extremely stainless, more so than VG10, the difference will be noticeable in seaside areas.
- But what about edge retention? Well, I cannot imagine anyone who's not a "pro" (a) encountering 10 knife fights in his life (if you think it's possible then it's time to move house!) and (b) surviving them all. For this number of usages the edge retention of 420 will be plenty sufficient.

That's what I thought when a friend gave me one. It actually kindled my interest in folders and started me googling folders which brought me to BF. I bought my first spyderco and it's all downhill after that. :D

Speaking of tacticlol. this.

nightmaregrind.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

one of the few Striders I find interesting.

What, no wrist-mounting? No excess blades? Not even a teenager's pasty arm? It looks NOTHING like a spaceship or animal! What a rip! :D

Isn't that the N I G H T M A R E Grind™ :eek: I'm sure I won't be able to sleep tonight after looking at it.

I am a huge spyderco fan, and I agree that the civvy is a mall ninja's dream. Knives "designed for self defense" are almost always idiotic in my eyes, and that one fits the bill. If I genuinely believed I was going to have to defend myself, I'd carry either a big stick or a gun, and wouldn't sit around fantasizing about using a knife to do so. If I'm using a knife to defend myself, I've screwed up something so epically that I probably deserve the combination of severe injury and legal trouble that I am about to experience.

For such a huge Spyderco fan, you apparently have not read what Sal has written about the creation of the Civillian in the forums.

BTW, we all know (I hope) that this thread is for fun :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back