TechStudio K01 Profile Sharpening System

A couple of questions:
1. In the video posted above it shows the KO1 version has the ability to rotate the knife from one side to the other & place it in a perpendicular orientation. On the website the KO1 version description is not indicated for this function where the more expensive KO2 version states the knife rotational ability.
2. Version is an all metal build with comments about how well it is built. So how come it only comes with a 1 year warranty? The Edge Pro comes with a lifetime warranty with plastic components. Has anyone had the opportunity to test out the warranty and/or customer service?
3. Anyone have any long term use reports for this system? Availability of replacement parts if needed?
Not trying to bash the system here as I am very interested in this sharpener as I think the clamping system is very well thought out. Just a little leery of laying out $270 (KO1) for a machine with a short track record and being shipped manufactured out of the US.

Was interested in one of these,when I factored in shipping costs and the One year warranty I bought the wicked edge.

Was interested in one of these,when I factored in shipping costs and the One year warranty I bought the wicked edge.

The wicked edge is very good but you're pretty limited with edge angles and very limited with stones. The TS has a larger range. As far as stones go you can use most benchstones on the market designed for knife sharpening. I've not seen another sharpener with quite as much versatility. Having said that, TS does need to package the stuff a little better and provide English language paperwork.

At any time I could buy a basic wicked edge setup brand new for $150. The lack of stone selection is what kept me from doing it. I have played with them several times and have used them to sharpen a couple of knives. The TS, IMO, is better. And given the fact that the TS has multiple knife clamp/platforms to choose from, you can easily swap from tiny peanut knives to the biggest kitchen knives, full flat grind or saber.

The only thing I haven't seen which would be a cool addition is some kind of flexible arm setup that can utilize sandpaper for repeatable convex edges. Other than that I can't think of a type of knife or realistic edge angle that the TS can't handle.

Sorry for delay with response, i'm new to this forum and all this subscriptions to thread updates.
A couple of questions:
1. In the video posted above it shows the KO1 version has the ability to rotate the knife from one side to the other & place it in a perpendicular orientation. On the website the KO1 version description is not indicated for this function where the more expensive KO2 version states the knife rotational ability.
2. Version is an all metal build with comments about how well it is built. So how come it only comes with a 1 year warranty? The Edge Pro comes with a lifetime warranty with plastic components. Has anyone had the opportunity to test out the warranty and/or customer service?
3. Anyone have any long term use reports for this system? Availability of replacement parts if needed?
Not trying to bash the system here as I am very interested in this sharpener as I think the clamping system is very well thought out. Just a little leery of laying out $270 (KO1) for a machine with a short track record and being shipped manufactured out of the US.
1. K01 and K02 can rotate knife without unclamping. But K02 does it in more convenient way, you dont need to unscrew and tighten the clamp before and after rotation, just press to a frame a bit and rotate by hands. With K01 you relax a screw with handle, rotate and then tighten it back.
2. 1 year warranty for highly wearable parts like jaws and for professional everyday intensive usage. As for the body i can give 20 and more years warranty. We always support our customers in all incidents not dependent on purchasing date.
3. Feedback on customer service and long term usage you can see on Russian forums (with automatic translation). E.g. http://forum.guns.ru/forummessage/189/1376365-194.html huge thread on 200 pages with user's feedback. Unfortunately we are presented on international market since recently, so the feedback mainly available with autotranslation from Russian language.

Dont want to say something bad about WE but according to our experience everyone who change WE or EP to tsprof are highly satisfied. Tsprof keeps an angle consistent and it's convenient in operation. EP Pro costs about 550$, dont know about shipping cost, i suppose it's about 30$ by the US. K02 Extended Configuration costs 424$ + 75$ shipping. I have EP for my own and i can bend it by hands easily. If i want to crash tsprof by hammer i would try hard.

I am very interested in this system but would like too see a little more support in the U.S. for parts, accessories, Etc. I have had a KME and a Edge pro sent both back, this looks like a better version of the KME and a Edgepro with the optional table. If I am not satisfied I don't want to have to send it back to Russia and hope for a refund. Hopefully they get a little warehouse and can handle orders and returns if necessary domestically.

Ran across a fairly detailed review this a.m....

[video=youtube;k3SbEWFSA8s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3SbEWFSA8s[/video]

This looks like the best system I have seen, Tried to order one but there back ordered until mid to end of October I think (Kind of tough with the language barrier) I have sent a couple emails and I am sure Paul will get back to me. The clamping system looks great and the K02 with the ball detente for holding the knife after it is rotated looks great. Looks like it will be a while before I get one.

This looks like the best system I have seen, Tried to order one but there back ordered until mid to end of October I think (Kind of tough with the language barrier) I have sent a couple emails and I am sure Paul will get back to me. The clamping system looks great and the K02 with the ball detente for holding the knife after it is rotated looks great. Looks like it will be a while before I get one.

I think he tries to collect a number of orders prior to having them made.

Ran across a fairly detailed review this a.m....

[video=youtube;k3SbEWFSA8s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3SbEWFSA8s[/video]

That was a great review. I wish he'd have touched a little on how it can be adjusted to hold different kinds of stones. That's a pretty big deal, IMO, especially for a lot of people willing to pay for the sharpener to begin with. The flat plates he mentioned are for the electronic angle meters. There's I think three points of measurement to ensure absolute accuracy if the physical meter isn't quite up to your own standards. Everything else is spot on with his review except that the small double clamps, if used as a single clamp, can be used to sharpen tiny whittling blades. I couldn't do those types of blades with an edge pro and even free hand would be a pain. I believe it'd be possible to sharpen an exacto blade.

The only problem with mine was that the base plate and base screw holes didn't line up. For such a high quality piece it doesn't really affect the functionality but it was a little disappointing.

Thank you all for interest to tsprof sharpening system. Sorry if i didn't respond to someone yet, there is a lot of requests due to Cody's video. We are preparing the production to execute all the orders. I'll respond to everyone in the nearest future, please be a little patient.

You can alway contact me by phone: +79043146109
My email: paultechman@hotmail.com

Looking for a system that will sharpen an ax well so I was looking at an EP. I also talked to EP about sharpening straight razors and he said it can be done on their system...

Been looking at the profile k02 - don't know if it will support the k01 table that would probably allow ax sharpening - but wondering if it could support a straight razor.

I want to start a local sharpening business to sharpen ax, scissors/sheers, straight razors, and various knives. Any opinions on what accessories I should be looking at for the profile systems? As mentioned before, reviews and english support are still hard to find for this product.

Thank you!
Jason

I am really liking the looks of this system. I have almost purchased a WE / EP on a couple occasions, but always backed out. This seems like the best combo between the WE and EP. Clamped, easy to flip and work on both sides, etc. I have a question about stone compatibility however. Is the TS compatible with all the Edge Pro Apex stones? Or do I need to use the TS stones?

For instance would I be able to use these?
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/chforedpro.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shprostforep.html

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am really liking the looks of this system. I have almost purchased a WE / EP on a couple occasions, but always backed out. This seems like the best combo between the WE and EP. Clamped, easy to flip and work on both sides, etc. I have a question about stone compatibility however. Is the TS compatible with all the Edge Pro Apex stones? Or do I need to use the TS stones?

For instance would I be able to use these?
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/chforedpro.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shprostforep.html

Thanks!

While I do not own a K01 or K02, I have read repeatedly that the stones are interchangeable with the Edge Pro Apex system. Personally I would not worry.

I'm an Edge Pro user and fan, and also heat with a woodstove (and thus use axes, hatchets, and mauls regularly) and shave with straight razors. While I could use my EP Apex on these tools, I don't think I ever wood unless I was really bored one day.

As you no doubt know, straight razors have an angle guide built-in since the spine and edge are on the stone simultaneously. I think it's far preferable to have the stone completely stable on a table or in a holder than mounted in the moving arm of the EP. In other words holding the delicate razor in one hand against the EP table while slide the stone back and forth in the other sounds like an exercise in frustration to me, compared to the normal honing method.

And as for an axe--yes, you could get some very impressive looking edges, and getting close to "perfect" is sometimes a goal that's fun to pursue. But as a practical matter of refining an edge used for utilitarian chopping of wood, I don't see the benefit. I suppose if you carve with an axe it could be different, but even then, it's easy to produce a great edge with a file and then a medium stone. And given the small size of the EP stones, you would end up spending a lot of time maintaining them, and a lot of money replacing them. If you want to do axes commercially, I think you'd be far better off with a belt grinder.

Just my opinions,
Jack

Thanks JackJ - appreciate the insight. You're totally right - I was getting carried away... I've seen some do an axe on an EP - and the owner told me when I talked to him he could teach me how to do a straight razor (or maybe he said he "thinks" he could figure something out - been a while).

You are absolutely right about both the razor and axe - better ways to do it.

Thank you!
Jason

WOW - Looks like the profile k02 jumped up in price - the professional kit jumped by $128!!!

Thanks Cody ;)

Maybe the configuration has changed?

Perhaps price increase includes new Conical Clamp feature ...?

Regards,

Hmmm. Youtubes terms of service state you have to announce up front if you received compensation for a product review. Wranglerstar says he didnt, so does he know your company is using his name (Wranglerstar Kit) and video to promote your product?

Last edited:
@Spey - nope, doesn't include the conical clamp... wish I would have taken a screen shot so I could have compared any differences... maybe something was added.

Supply and demand probably...

Hmmm. Youtubes terms of service state you have to announce up front if you received compensation for a product review. Wranglerstar says he didnt, so does he know your company is using his name (Wranglerstar Kit) and video to promote your product?

Hmmm ..., I would consider a free $300+ sharpening system "compensation". Off your point I understand ;-)

Regards,

Last edited:
Back