The Annuals are coming!

I just got my small annual in the mail today and I’m quite impressed! It’s my first wood inlay and first polished. I was happy to see that the lock bar appears to be glass blasted not sandblasted like I believe older sebenzas were. I just think it looks a little better and will have improved wear resistance.

The wood is beautiful and the whole knife looks great! I’m excited to see how it will hold up over the years! Does anyone have tips for the wood inlays? Should I apply renaissance wax initially? Or wait until it looks like it needs it? And will this inlay potentially pick up dye from jeans similar to box elder (or so I’ve read)?

I just got my small annual in the mail today and I’m quite impressed! It’s my first wood inlay and first polished. I was happy to see that the lock bar appears to be glass blasted not sandblasted like I believe older sebenzas were. I just think it looks a little better and will have improved wear resistance.

The wood is beautiful and the whole knife looks great! I’m excited to see how it will hold up over the years! Does anyone have tips for the wood inlays? Should I apply renaissance wax initially? Or wait until it looks like it needs it? And will this inlay potentially pick up dye from jeans similar to box elder (or so I’ve read)?
Congrats! I applied Ren Wax to my inlays, but it ended up quite messy. It doesn’t spread easily due to the wood grain. I would suggest using a cotton swab to spread small dabs along the face of the wood.

Probably doesn’t need it straight out of the box, but one doesn’t buy a limited sebenza for purely practical reasons.

Not sure about the dye, but mine won't be the guinea pig!

Congrats! I applied Ren Wax to my inlays, but it ended up quite messy. It doesn’t spread easily due to the wood grain. I would suggest using a cotton swab to spread small dabs along the face of the wood.

Probably doesn’t need it straight out of the box, but one doesn’t buy a limited sebenza for purely practical reasons.

This is interesting. I only have one old Annual with wood inlays, but I've never applied anything to the inlays. A decade of fondling hasn't seemed to harm it at all. It did darken quite a bit over the years though.

Are we supposed to be maintaining wood inlays?

This is interesting. I only have one old Annual with wood inlays, but I've never applied anything to the inlays. A decade of fondling hasn't seemed to harm it at all. It did darken quite a bit over the years though.

I laugh at myself when I baby the wood inlays on my CRKs. Yes, they are more delicate than titanium, but consider the long history of wood hafted knives on earth. To bring it closer to home, how long has the buck 110 been out?

TLDR: probably not, but I do anyway.

Thanks! I’ll see how it holds up without the wax for now, but definitely will be cautious about the dye. Leather slip in jeans it is!

Also an interesting small detail I noted is that they appeared to change the size of the font for the scale markings. It appears consistent from my 2015 small 21, to a small 31 inlay with scales from last year but now it’s smaller in the annual. It obviously doesn’t matter but it’s interesting seeing things change over time.

All the wood inlays are stabilized wood. Meaning they have been impregnated with resign under pressure. No wax or polish will do anything but surface shine. That said they can and do warp on occasion but that is normally a sign of a less then perfect stabilization and heat.

All the wood inlays are stabilized wood. Meaning they have been impregnated with resign under pressure. No wax or polish will do anything but surface shine. That said they can and do warp on occasion but that is normally a sign of a less then perfect stabilization and heat.
That's what I thought...but wasn't sure. Thanks.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, my large annual was going to be a display piece, and not used. I finally finished the wall and made the shadow box for the knife!

View attachment 2397270View attachment 2397271
Very nice! At least mount a red hammer on a loop and chain beside the case. The sign should read "In case of emergency, break glass."

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, my large annual was going to be a display piece, and not used. I finally finished the wall and made the shadow box for the knife!

View attachment 2397270View attachment 2397271
Nice! I did something similar a couple years ago and gave it to my wife. She loves puzzles. The inside of her ring was engraved “my missing piece” so this tied into that.
IMG_3392.jpeg

One of the most stunning woods CRK has offered. Pictures do no justice to this Saeple Mahogany.
The wave like grain in the wood dances under the sun.

I applied a little renwax to it but I feel like it made it darker, maybe I applied too much and didn’t spread evenly. I think eventually it’ll look lighter again, still amazing though.

IMG_2404.jpeg

I'm new to Chris Reeves Knives. Will they have a 2024 Annual Knife or Knives ? If so, about when do they come out, and how would I know ?
Thank you

I'm new to Chris Reeves Knives. Will they have a 2024 Annual Knife or Knives ? If so, about when do they come out, and how would I know ?
Thank you

I believe that GP Knives said that this will be yearly now.

Back