The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

In regards to revisiting the HDFK. Maybe like the MC there could be a heavy duty version :) ? Also a standard and thin versions :) I’d love to see the HDMC and HDFK have an offspring !!!!
Yes, I would like 3 or 4 of each :)
It's already a stout knife for a 6-incher.

So you're looking for a HHDFK? Maybe we can nickname that one 'The Little Teapot' knife :p

It's already a stout knife for a 6-incher.

So you're looking for a HHDFK? Maybe we can nickname that one 'The Little Teapot' knife :p
There’s no doubt it’s a great knife :)
I’m looking for a HDFK beast :) Just like the MC vs HDMC :)

Take a page out of Ford's book and call it the Super Duty Field Knife...SDFK:cool:

I like it !!!!!!!!

Not trying to be contrary here, but I feel like the HDFK is such a perfect knife, that beefiness changes ought to be cause to name the new model something entirely different, so as not to infringe on the HDFKs brilliance. Going from the HDFK to the MC to the HDMC seems like reasonable steps to me.

But of course, I can’t claim to be a reasonable knife buyer :p, and I would be up for any new model the CPK crew conjured up, just as long as rotting, stinking, popsicle stick handles were available.

Since I am a lightweight when it comes to using my knives, would a more serious user enlighten me as to what niche this new knife might occupy - in addition to my normal fondling and accidental finger slicing?:D Mike

Not trying to be contrary here, but I feel like the HDFK is such a perfect knife, that beefiness changes ought to be cause to name the new model something entirely different, so as not to infringe on the HDFKs brilliance. Going from the HDFK to the MC to the HDMC seems like reasonable steps to me.

But of course, I can’t claim to be a reasonable knife buyer :p, and I would be up for any new model the CPK crew conjured up, just as long as rotting, stinking, popsicle stick handles were available.

Since I am a lightweight when it comes to using my knives, would a more serious user enlighten me as to what niche this new knife might occupy - in addition to my normal fondling and accidental finger slicing?:D Mike

I agree on the new name :)

What niche was needed when the medium chopper got the heavy duty option ? Now some if headed out might want a knife with a 99.9% NON failure assurance with it. I guess it’s like the hard thin FK2 vs FK2. Now I didn’t jump on one of those :-( my bad for sure. I’m sure that hard thin FK2 would’ve paired excellent with my HDMC :) But it’s just me and if a heavy duty version had been offered. I would’ve bought several. Different strokes kinda thing. And I’m not someone who wants to cut steel or chop concrete. I just really like overbuilt heavy duty things. I’m sure I’m not alone :) Now I don’t think these would be regular offereings. But during pre orders or special sales it would be nice :)
Also something like the HDMC is what I’m saying, cause that beast still cuts and cuts well !!!!! :)

Last edited:
I like SDFK, although what I've designed I'd classify more as a camp knife. The chopper handles are amazing for chopping, but I'd like a more compact handle that's sacrifices some chopping comfort for better hand retention. The HDFK is a survival knife, and its purposeful design is why I think a lot of people like it. A bigger version of it I think would go over well for the same reasons. All that said, there are a good number of models in the pipe so I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you that there will be something like this any time soon. I probably have plenty of time to make a working proof of concept

I like SDFK, although what I've designed I'd classify more as a camp knife. The chopper handles are amazing for chopping, but I'd like a more compact handle that's sacrifices some chopping comfort for better hand retention. The HDFK is a survival knife, and its purposeful design is why I think a lot of people like it. A bigger version of it I think would go over well for the same reasons. All that said, there are a good number of models in the pipe so I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you that there will be something like this any time soon. I probably have plenty of time to make a working proof of concept

I’m just dreaming :) :)

That camp knife sounds great though :) !!!! Any chance it will have a fuller ???? :)
I also think your correct on the HDFK with all the above.
Aslo there’s no rush I’m not going anywhere :) Nathan could make D3V chopsticks and I’d want a set :)

I’m just dreaming :) :)

That camp knife sounds great though :) !!!! Any chance it will have a fuller ???? :)
I also think your correct on the HDFK with all the above.
Aslo there’s no rush I’m not going anywhere :) Nathan could make D3V chopsticks and I’d want a set :)
yes on the fuller, and I think I posted a pic of the aluminum model I made somewhere in this forum

I'm not sure if this has been asked. Seeing as we have seen updates or newer versions of previous models, is there any chance of a updated HDFK? I seriously loved the one I had but got it as it was already discontinued. I'd love for it to make a comeback so I can pick the configuration I want. It really is the overall perfect do it all kind of knife. It ticks so many boxes. I really hope something is in the works that doesn't stray too far from how great it was.

I'm not sure if this has been asked. Seeing as we have seen updates or newer versions of previous models, is there any chance of a updated HDFK? I seriously loved the one I had but got it as it was already discontinued. I'd love for it to make a comeback so I can pick the configuration I want. It really is the overall perfect do it all kind of knife. It ticks so many boxes. I really hope something is in the works that doesn't stray too far from how great it was.

Oh it’s been asked ;):D lol. Thinner, thicker , as is, longer blade, shorter blade.
So your not alone :) Also it’s been said by Nathan it’s not discontinued. Just not on white board currently as there’s so many new blades on board now.

So hold on to what you have for now :) it’s a great knife :)

From one cnc machinist to another who is looking to improve his skill set, what in your opinion is the best way to learn and practice G and M control and programming a cnc machine tool if said cnc machinist DOES NOT have access to cnc machine tools to practice on?

The only tools I've got access to are the ones that are running production for, well, ever afaik.

Thanks! Happy Mothers Day

Back