The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

From one cnc machinist to another who is looking to improve his skill set, what in your opinion is the best way to learn and practice G and M control and programming a cnc machine tool if said cnc machinist DOES NOT have access to cnc machine tools to practice on?

The only tools I've got access to are the ones that are running production for, well, ever afaik.

Thanks! Happy Mothers Day

Idunno, I have no idea. But since you asked me, get a CNC and put it in your garage and tinker with it? You'll figure it out. There's a strong motivation to not wreck your own tools which helps one maintain focus.

We got our first CNC at school the year I graduated (late 90's) and I never got the chance to use it. I was playing around with the CAM software and trying to figure out a post for it but nobody at the school had figured it out back then and I graduated without ever getting any time on it. So I bought my first CNC back in 2001 and figured it out for myself. This was a while back but the internet did exist back then and it helped me learn about CNC from our old farm house with a dial up internet connection in the backwaters of Thomson Georgia. I think it was literally the only CNC in town. Literally no other person to talk to about it. I just read what I could on the internet and figured out CNC by myself. It took a while but nothing bad happened.

What sharpening method / equipment would you recommend to maintain optimal edge geometry.

also, on the same token. Is there a method that makes you cringe

free hand stone. Water stone. One of the Ken onion worksharps, I forget the name of the ones on the stone base.....

Or whatever works is the mantra

What sharpening method / equipment would you recommend to maintain optimal edge geometry.

free hand stone. Water stone. One of the Ken onion worksharps, I forget the name of the ones on the stone base.....

I'm pretty sure the WorkSharp and other belt options were discussed and Nathan's opinion was that most of those that can't be used with a setup to water cool the blade, will overheat the blade, affecting the heat treat especially on a very fine edge where there's little mass to avoid overheating.

This potentially decreases the maximal edge retention that results from the D3V heat treat. People who only slice paper may not notice.

A diamond stone and an Arkansas stone serve me fine.

Anything with a powered abrasive run dry is a problem for Delta 3V.

Hello,

Will the blade finish on the AEB-L models of the DEK1 differ from those of the delta 3v variety? Is it possible to pay a little extra for a satin or hand ground finish? Approximately when will you relist the hdfk pattern?

Thank you.

Back