The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Huh? I are confuse

The FK2 is about the same size as the OGFK

My bad there ^

So I guess I’m trying ask. Will there be a knife fk size but robust like the UF. The UF has certain design qualities making it pretty unbreakable. Not looking to drive the knife tip through 1” steel. Not asking or looking for that at all.
I think I broke my brain yesterday lol. Having hardtime getting my words right today lol :)

My bad there ^

So I guess I’m trying ask. Will there be a knife fk size but robust like the UF. The UF has certain design qualities making it pretty unbreakable. Not looking to drive the knife tip through 1” steel. Not asking or looking for that at all.
I think I broke my brain yesterday lol. Having hardtime getting my words right today lol :)
I might be misunderstanding you, but UF = Utility Fighter. FK2 = Field Knife 2.0

I think the FK2 is actually more robust than the UF (single-edged version). The tip of the FK2 is definitely more robust/reinforced.

If you've seen Lorien's video in the FK2 thread, of using the FK2's tip to pry and break off wood chips... I wouldn't do that with the UF tip. Then again, the UF isn't designed for that. It's designed as a fighting knife with more utility than a Fairbairn-Sykes or Gerber Guardian II dagger etc.

If I misunderstood, and you're looking for something with the design priorities of a UF, but sized closer to an FK2, I believe that's what the DEK1 is.

You are pretty close :thumbsup::D

But I don’t believe the FK2 / UFK has a reinforced tip. I think I’ve asked Nathan this before. The UF in standard form comes with Nathan’s full warranty. The UF has reinforced tip with more meat behind the edge. I think it was for that rare situation you need to poke a hole in cinderblock :) The UF if I recall, May be light weight but hits wayyyy above its weight class :) But hey I could be wrong ;):cool:
I’m sure Nathan will chime in :D:D

You are pretty close :thumbsup::D

But I don’t believe the FK2 / UFK has a reinforced tip. I think I’ve asked Nathan this before. The UF in standard form comes with Nathan’s full warranty. The UF has reinforced tip with more meat behind the edge. I think it was for that rare situation you need to poke a hole in cinderblock :) The UF if I recall, May be light weight but hits wayyyy above its weight class :) But hey I could be wrong ;):cool:
I’m sure Nathan will chime in :D:D
I thought it was the Shiv that was built to be able to hammer a loophole in a wall if necessary?

This was from the UF preorder

The 6" Utility Fighter was designed as a collaboration with design and functional input from a family friend, US Army Green Beret Jason Landphair. It is a well made, durable, high performance mid sized utility combat knife designed to carry light, tolerate rough use beyond the abilities of most alternatives, and function properly as a mid size fighting knife in addition to normal cutting chores. In this newest release of this old pattern it now has the Delta 3V heat treat that is optimized for edge stability so it will hold a sharp edge in rough use better than ever. A side effect of this heat treat is a higher percentage of free chromium, so although it is not stainless, it is nearly so. I consider this to be one of the ultimate modern particle metallurgy super steels and a knife of this nature is an ideal application for it.

The handle is 3D sculpted CNC machined and ergonomically designed for a standard forward, reverse, saber and pinch grips for an average sized hand. Unnecessary weight is removed where possible and the tang is internally skeletonized for a neutral balance. The blade is made of .188" CPM "Delta" 3V. Despite being light (8 oz) and ground relatively thin (.025" before sharpening) it will tolerate rough use in demanding environments. You can baton and pry with it. It will tolerate punching holes in sheetmetal, cutting iron wire and even chopping through cinder block without breaking or developing excessive damage. One of the design requirements when developing this knife was it would be capable of opening a hole in a masonry wall without risk of breaking. You might damage the edge if you set your mind to it, but despite being light and reasonably thin (and subsequently a good cutter) the knife itself is practically unbreakable and comes with my rough use warranty: if it ever fails for any reason short of intentionally breaking it I will replace, repair or refund. Broken tips get re-pointed, broken scales are replaced with a material of my choosing.

I know about the shiv, but I am thinking of the UF ^^^

:)
I've got an FK2 and both the UF and DEF.

The FK2 has a noticeably more robust tip geometry.

I don't have a Shiv, but IIRC from posted photos, it's also got a very robust looking tip. The DEF has a nicely tapered, stabby tip, next comes the UF, then the FK2 in order of increasing thickness behind the tip.

Maybe if someone has a Shiv, FK2 and UF, they can post a pic with all 3 tip thicknesses to compare.

I've got an FK2 and both the UF and DEF.

The FK2 has a noticeably more robust tip geometry.

I don't have a Shiv, but IIRC from posted photos, it's also got a very robust looking tip. The DEF has a nicely tapered, stabby tip, next comes the UF, then the FK2 in order of increasing thickness behind the tip.

Maybe if someone has a Shiv, FK2 and UF, they can post a pic with all 3 tip thicknesses to compare.

I don’t want to keep cluttering Nathan’s thread here. We should probably move this to another thread.
So yes the FK2 has a robust tip and will tolerate a lot. But the UF has a reinforced tip , I’m pretty sure and the FK2 does not. Also pretty sure a robust tip does not make it a reinforced tip.
So I was asking Nathan if a knife FK size with UF qualities , reinforced tip etc and rough use warranty ever come to fruition ? Cause from what I thought I read the FK knives are not designed as a tactical rough use knife. They handle a lot of those tasks but wasn’t designed as such.
Also I post the UF preorder description in above post.

Thank you :)

I'm at the other shop right now so I'm posting from my phone. I find it difficult to answer a complex question with voice to text but I will attempt to make a couple drawings here and create a new thread explaining what a maker does to reinforce a point.

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist , you might have overlooked my earlier post.

I've looked, but don't see it mentioned anywhere, and have been looking at as many pics as I could find without a good answer.

Is the engraving/maker's mark on the #badidea FK2 thinner/shallower on all of them, or does it just happen to be that way on my particular example?

#badidea on top, regular on the bottom:
IMG_1547.JPG

All 6 of my other CPK's are most like the bottom one shown, with heavier engraving. TIA!

Back