The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

How the heck did this thread fall in the 2nd page?! It ought to be a sticky thread, come on mane!

Anyway, I'd like to ask some Qs:

- Did you consult with your animal spirit and CPK shaman aka Matthew Gregory regarding the inevitability of price increases? I gather that he has a very sound and astute financial mind so he would've told you that you're already too late to the party but better late than never!

- Is the special run of the Utility Fighters for that client the same as the UF2 run or is there something special about them specials?

- New run of veggie knives, eh? I'm one of those cheap fooques who just shamelessly reaches out for cheap and crappy kitchen knives. I know, it's quite embarrassing but in my own defense, I would not spend north of $200 on any one else's knives any more other than yours. True story brah!

Nathan, would D3v support 17dps on Kephart for typical bushcraft tasks...what are your thoughts....experience with lower angles.
Yeah, it works pretty well there. There are other steels that perform better at very narrow angles and AEBL happens to be one of them so if you were looking for a kephart with a very narrow edge consider the AEBL. But 17 per side is not extreme and D3V performs well there.

Yeah, it works pretty well there. There are other steels that perform better at very narrow angles and AEBL happens to be one of them so if you were looking for a kephart with a very narrow edge consider the AEBL. But 17 per side is not extreme and D3V performs well there.
Nathan, so if I understand correctly....AEBL has better edge stability than D3V but D3V is not a slouch in this respect as well and beats AEBL in sheer toughness...apologies for layman terms

How the heck did this thread fall in the 2nd page?! It ought to be a sticky thread, come on mane!

Anyway, I'd like to ask some Qs:

- Did you consult with your animal spirit and CPK shaman aka Matthew Gregory regarding the inevitability of price increases? I gather that he has a very sound and astute financial mind so he would've told you that you're already too late to the party but better late than never!

- Is the special run of the Utility Fighters for that client the same as the UF2 run or is there something special about them specials?

- New run of veggie knives, eh? I'm one of those cheap fooques who just shamelessly reaches out for cheap and crappy kitchen knives. I know, it's quite embarrassing but in my own defense, I would not spend north of $200 on any one else's knives any more other than yours. True story brah!
Yes, I actually did talk to Matt about that. He really is a good source of advice and a good friend.

Nathan, so if I understand correctly....AEBL has better edge stability than D3V but D3V is not a slouch in this respect as well and beats AEBL in sheer toughness...apologies for layman terms
Knives mostly go dull through two main mechanisms. One is abrasive wear, and the other is loss of edge through chipping and rolling. AEBL does very well with edge stability but has poor wear resistance. 3V with the delta protocol has edge stability suitable for most geometries and applications and good wear resistance. Overall it stays sharp longer and it also is practically unbreakable. It is my favorite steel, but AEBL is no slouch.

One of the biggest problems in this industry is that people equate abrasive wear resistance testing with actual edge retention in a real knife and that mentality is highly inaccurate. Despite the impressive wear resistance values for S30V, the piss poor edge retention on my Sebenza can attest to that

Hey Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist If you, Jo, and the kids are taking a primitive weekend camping trip, which fixed blade would you bring with you?
FK2, standard configuration. It is a fantastic knife. If I needed to process big wood I might take my Behemoth with me? But we usually just go on a day hike.

Knives mostly go dull through two main mechanisms. One is abrasive wear, and the other is loss of edge through chipping and rolling. AEBL does very well with edge stability but has poor wear resistance. 3V with the delta protocol has edge stability suitable for most geometries and applications and good wear resistance. Overall it stays sharp longer and it also is practically unbreakable. It is my favorite steel, but AEBL is no slouch.

One of the biggest problems in this industry is that people equate abrasive wear resistance testing with actual edge retention in a real knife and that mentality is highly inaccurate. Despite the impressive wear resistance values for S30V, the piss poor edge retention on my Sebenza can attest to that

That's how I feel about my Chris Reeve folders too. Really nice, gets really sharp, but doesn't hold an edge very well. I only carry my CRKs on special occasions anyway. If I need a work knife to cut with all day long, it will be a Spyderco of some flavor.

That's how I feel about my Chris Reeve folders too. Really nice, gets really sharp, but doesn't hold an edge very well. I only carry my CRKs on special occasions anyway. If I need a work knife to cut with all day long, it will be a Spyderco of some flavor.
The edge retention on my Sebby is really no better than that crummy Case folder I had when I was a kid. But the pain and suffering to sharpen it is on another level. I don't that think super steels are always a benefit to people. Not if they're not implemented right. This is why we offered AEBL in the first place, the jar heads who buy them aren't really knife nuts and aren't always prepared to handle something like 3V but AEBL can be sharpened on a river rock.

The edge retention on my Sebby is really no better than that crummy Case folder I had when I was a kid. But the pain and suffering to sharpen it is on another level. I don't that think super steels are always a benefit to people. Not if they're not implemented right. This is why we offered AEBL in the first place, the jar heads who buy them aren't really knife nuts and aren't always prepared to handle something like 3V but AEBL can be sharpened on a river rock.
I’ve sharpened some of my 1095cv Beckers on a rock before. They got quite sharp! Freehand sharpening is an essential skill IMO.

Nathan, who'd win this fight? A silverback gorilla armed with CPK Behemother and an orangutan armed with a Keffeler Sasquatch? BTW, they are not going to delimb or maim each other, just the bragging rights about chopping to pieces the tallest, the baddest and the most fruitful banana tree!

Now with that important Q out of the way, I haves something less serious to ask: remember back when I had brought up the idea of a 14" chopper, perhaps named The Behemothest (Behemostest?) but in 2018 you had made so many choppers that we had all gotten choppered out? You kinda cyber grinned but never said No! Just asking...

Back