The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan, Are the Titanium screws more susceptible to stripping?

In this application, no I don't think so.

Just to clarify my statement from the other thread...I was referring way more to the socket recess for the hex wrench deforming than the actual threads. Having to break loctite on a Ti screw always sketches me out...I usually heat them first just to be safe :).

~Chip

Just to clarify my statement from the other thread...I was referring way more to the socket recess for the hex wrench deforming than the actual threads. Having to break loctite on a Ti screw always sketches me out...I usually heat them first just to be safe :).

~Chip

Oh you meant the head. Right...

The titanium fasteners have Torx heads. So far we haven't had any issues.

I'm sorry, I don't think so. Why?

Hey Nate, How about if you get rid of the rear cut out altogether, at least on the big choppers, it doesn’t serve any purpose. Maybe Tom could do a pole on it? My opinion, which isn’t worth two cents, is that the cut out looks kinda cheap on a high end production knife. What do you all think, would the butt look better without the butt hole?

^^^My understanding is the HC is going to offered along with the MC-Both the MC and HC will be offered on the upcoming Pre-Order! (as usual i reserve the right to be WRONG)

Hey Nate, How about if you get rid of the rear cut out altogether, at least on the big choppers, it doesn’t serve any purpose. Maybe Tom could do a pole on it? My opinion, which isn’t worth two cents, is that the cut out looks kinda cheap on a high end production knife. What do you all think, would the butt look better without the butt hole?
I am officially retired from any further polls Gus! This decision will probably result in over 100 Likes for me-posting no more polls in the future:thumbsup:

“^^^My understanding is the HC is going to offered along with the MC-Both the MC and HC will be offered on the upcoming Pre-Order! (as usual i reserve the right to be WRONG)“

That is my understanding as well.
I’m not able to do both at the same time
What do you all think, would the butt look better without the butt hole?
A butt without a butthole doesn’t qualify as a butt.
I say keep the butthole.
Everyone’s got one and ... something.... they are like... something....

Last edited:
some people like to hang the knife from the wrist from a rear lanyard. This is common in field craft and game prep although I don't. The other use is a fob to help pull it from a deep leather sheath. Some folks use it and it doesn't hurt anything, although I could see removing it from large choppers with the forward lanyard. It's something to think about in the future.

I am officially retired from any further polls Gus! This decision will probably result in over 100 Likes for me-posting no more polls in the future:thumbsup:
as a result of your poll I am adding titanium fasteners as an unlisted option on sales going forward. It was a useful poll.

Nathan, are you planning to do a pre-order for the DEK once you start focusing on them?

Hi Nathan, any chance of having antique micarta available for this Friday’s sale?
Thanks,
Justin

Yes. We're in scales production for the HDFK now. We're making some scales we lacked for the pre-order. I'm running a few extra in antique and also running burlap phenolic based micarta (the real deal, not epoxy) and some rag micarta and some hard Ebonite. They won't be finished as scales for another week (and there are no pictures obviously) but if someone wants to order them on their knife tomorrow we can accommodate them.

Nathan, would Terotuf take an oil-based dye such as what would be used on leather?
I'm guessing no, but I'm not the pro. :oops:
Thanks.

Nathan, would Terotuf take an oil-based dye such as what would be used on leather?
I'm guessing no, but I'm not the pro. :oops:
Thanks.

On canvas micarta I’ve had great luck with obenaufs liq leather conditioner. Although not permanite it darkens the scales for quite some time. It dries so not to become slick, smells pleasant, and for the most part natural. Hope this helps :)
I’m still experimenting with leather dye.

Last edited:
Back