The Basic 5" Field Knife - Thoughts and Impressions

IMG_0178.jpeg

The Ghetto Grind just arrived. This is going to be fireplace tool among other woodworking uses to make kindling and shavings.

I’ve had the DEK1 in AEB-L now for a few weeks. It is surprisingly useful for some tasks as a kitchen tool but excels at butchering. Although fairly versatile the Basic 5 Field Knife will likely get the nod for a camp and farm chores.

Adding jimping to my BFK. Pic is at a bad angle. Jimping is straight. It's a pretty slow process, but I think the juice will be worth the squeeze.
I'll have to sand the jimping to match the rest of the blade and may even need to refinish the entire knife. Fingers crossed it all goes well! 20230723_201530.jpg

Adding jimping to my BFK. Pic is at a bad angle. Jimping is straight. It's a pretty slow process, but I think the juice will be worth the squeeze.
I'll have to sand the jimping to match the rest of the blade and may even need to refinish the entire knife. Fingers crossed it all goes well! View attachment 2262806

I think it's important to make our blades OURS..... Good job!
I've always wanted to do the opposite.

I'll have to sand the jimping to match the rest of the blade and may even need to refinish the entire knife. Fingers crossed it all goes well! View attachment 2262806
To my taste, jimping has to be damn near perfect to not make the knife look worse. I've found from experience that there are three axes that one can get even a little sloppy on. The best result for me comes from using a file guide and paying strict attention to how I'm positioning the file and what I'm trying to do. Practice on a scrap piece of barstock doesn't hurt either.

Who in their right mind is going to spend $1,000 for a basic field knife? That's crazy.

iu

Who in their right mind is going to spend $1,000 for a basic field knife? That's crazy.

We ought to resurrect the "Say Hello to Nathan's Mom" thread! Her Son, the indomitable Nathan has truly arrived. The #1 searched Nathan on the search engines! (well I made up this last part but we won't tell Mom)

Back