The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

ChazzyP ChazzyP

That’s a Damn Nice collection you have!

I was looking really hard at the Shiro 95 Slim Recon1 has in stock but went with the F3R since I let my last one go about a year ago.

Will post some picks tomorrow after USPS delivers it.

Side note:
I’m seriously thinking about polishing the Flats on the blade of my F3R at some point.
I’ve seen it on others and it looks fantastic. If I have it done, would it Void the warranty?

Reason I ask is because there’s nothing delineating on the boxes between the polished flats version and regular one.

Thanks

ChazzyP ChazzyP

That’s a Damn Nice collection you have!
Side note:
I’m seriously thinking about polishing the Flats on the blade of my F3R at some point.
I’ve seen it on others and it looks fantastic. If I have it done, would it Void the warranty?

Reason I ask is because there’s nothing delineating on the boxes between the polished flats version and regular one.

Thanks, brother. :D

As to the warranty, my best guess is that polishing the flats would not affect the warranty, as the Workshop does not seem to discourage disassembly and I've seen a number of pimped and cosmetically modded knives posted by experienced collectors across a couple forums. I think it's less a matter of "fooling" Shirogorov than polishing the flats doesn't really affect any functional aspect of the knife. If you damage the knife either by breakage or mechanically altering it, it won't be covered, as in changing your pivot from MRBS to MRRBS (edit that to SRRBS).

Last edited:
ChazzyP ChazzyP

The NeOn Zero is a superb Flipper and flies out with authority. But, when I handled mine, even if my middle finger was grazing the lockbar just above the clip it wouldn’t flip!

I had to make sure my middle finger was on top of clip or above, never below. Even then my index finger would slip up sometimes and slightly graze the lock bar too....that had the same affect and stopped the blade from moving.

Not my whole finger either, all it had to do was barely be touching and that was it.

This was my first NeOn and I figured it out in 2 minutes how to properly open it, but having to constantly make this weird curved claw grip every time to open it took the joy out of owning it.

If they ever make a Liner Lock NeOn...I’m all over that, lol.
I’ve had my Zero about a month and really struggled opening it the first few weeks. It was even more difficult to get the right muscle memory than with my various CRKs. But now all is working fine. No more claw grip, or my claw grip is feeling and looking natural. The honeymoon continues, but the “hate” of love/hate is all but gone with this knife.

Sharpened my 95NL on the Wicked Edge last night. Set the bevels at 21 degrees per side and started at 400 grit on the diamonds, then 600, 800, 1000, 1200 ceramic, 1500 diamond, 1600 ceramic, 1.4 ceramic, 0.6 ceramic and then the leather stops with diamond paste. Definitely worth paying attention when closing. :eek:

Officer's Match Officer's Match

Taking the time to sharpen correctly and moving through the grits makes all the difference. I enjoy it myself, it’s relaxing to me, lol.

I will be doing the same thing after my Shiro F3R shows up today, as none of mine have ever come with a stellar edge on them.

I will probably go 18 to 20 per side on mine. I have the full KME hand set, works really nice and it’s a great price. Might look into a Wicked Edge later...but it’s a big investment.

Regarding the WE setup, it is indeed. But, like my one and only Shiro (yeah, I'm a piker), buy once cry once.

I didn't want to alter the bevel that much (probably took about a degree off per side), and as thin as it is behind the edge, this exceeds my requirements to be happy.

That night I did a number of other blades/steels: AEB-L, 154CM, M390, S90V, unknown kitchen stainless (Kitchenaid santoku), and VG10. I must say I really enjoyed the Shiro's flavor of elmax, it took a great edge and was very communicative to sharpen. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an elmax bladed Shiro should the opportunity arise.

Inspired by the log, my family photo
Shiro%20f_zps0ukqop8s.jpg

Shiro%20b_zpshrdvhxqw.jpg

Pics as promised.....But a little lacking compared to Landshark99 Landshark99 and ChazzyP ChazzyP :confused:

Wow, really didn’t realize how much I missed the F3R till I held one again!

The White Carbon fiber scales are very nice in hand and outside in daylight.
Inside though it is practically unnoticeable, looks like regular old CF.
But I took 2 pics of the scales with very little light on them and the White is more noticeable inside.

I’ve owned 5 Shiro’s and Hands down this one has the best Lock-Up out the box. Action is superb and the lock insert has the slightest bit of Lock-Stick...which I actually like. Nothing terrible, just enough that it lets you know lock-up is solid. Most hate this, I never have myself.

Tossed in a couple of other daily carry I keep in the tray for size comparison.

I lined up all the pivots for size comparison accuracy.

Last edited:
Sleuths,

What are your thoughts about Rockstead knives in comparison to our beloved Shiro's?

I am asking this question here, from the biased standpoint that it would take a hell of a knife to ever displace my favorite Shiro's. I know I am asking a biased crowd here. However, I have gone back to look at a particular ironwood-handled Higo Rockstead (about 6 times now), and am daydreaming about how to get one someday.

But here's the thing... I recently picked up a Cheburkov and ultimately sold it. One or two minor gripes in this category knife and I immediately lose interest. It was an easy decision to pass it along for the sake of a mediocre pocket clip, rather than make it a user and diminish it's value.

So the Shiro's remain king in my collection.

But that Higo.... *sigh*.

For those of you who have had the opportunity to compare, what do you say?

I know all about the "requirement" to send them back to Japan for actual sharpening. Full disclosure, I'm simply not concerned about that. I would have zero qualms about putting one on my Wicked Edge and know full well it would change the edge from convex to V - if (IF!) I decided it were a keeper, I would do it. So my question is more focused on the quality, features, and nitpicks you found rather than the pain that would come from having to send it off to be sharpened.

My only Rockstead thus far was a Shin. It oozed refined quality. I am much more impressed by my one and only Shiro (95NL) as a carry/use knife. The Shin had been my smoothest non-bearing folder until last Friday when this showed up:

45X3QsMh.jpg

KbVoxENh.jpg

jBGfTmQh.jpg

As an aside, a 3.5" non-flipper XM may be the most ergonomic folder I've ever encountered.

Sleuths,

What are your thoughts about Rockstead knives in comparison to our beloved Shiro's?

I am asking this question here, from the biased standpoint that it would take a hell of a knife to ever displace my favorite Shiro's. I know I am asking a biased crowd here. However, I have gone back to look at a particular ironwood-handled Higo Rockstead (about 6 times now), and am daydreaming about how to get one someday.

But here's the thing... I recently picked up a Cheburkov and ultimately sold it. One or two minor gripes in this category knife and I immediately lose interest. It was an easy decision to pass it along for the sake of a mediocre pocket clip, rather than make it a user and diminish it's value.

I know all about the "requirement" to send them back to Japan for actual sharpening. Full disclosure, I'm simply not concerned about that. I would have zero qualms about putting one on my Wicked Edge and know full well it would change the edge from convex to V - if (IF!) I decided it were a keeper, I would do it. So my question is more focused on the quality, features, and nitpicks you found rather than the pain that would come from having to send it off to be sharpened.

While I only have the Shu, I'd say both Rockstead and Shirogorov are in the same category of high end knives that are both extremely well made and refined and different. I haven't had a problem stropping the Shu back to sharp even after heavy but appropriate use.

Sleuths,

You mean us, TR?

KfKS5Fa.png

I've checked out Rocksteads, but have never handled one. I understand from several members I respect they are of excellent workmanship, such as what Officer's Match Officer's Match describes as their oozing "refined quality", but their designs don't really speak to me. OM's comments about the smoothness of his new RHK are interesting as well. I have 4 Hinderers and greatly appreciate them despite the fact that overbuilt, thick-bladed knives aren't really my thing. They're so well made and good in hand, though, that I'm quite pleased to have four different models of them and they do get carried and used. I'd probably feel the same way about a Rockstead if I had one--maybe not my thing entirely, but there's always an appreciation for something that's so well done.

BTW, TR, I agree about the clip on my Scout, but still really like the knife and carry any use it. The Voron's a bit better and the Strizh is fine.

Still, as I'm here in this Sleuth of Denizens, my Shiros are still at the top of my heap, though I have good knives by numerous makers that I carry and enjoy as well.

ChazzyP, you really should check out a Skinny XM. I think you would find it appealing, especially in the slicer grind such as my choil-less DLT exclusive - it is noticeably thinner in both the frame and the blade stock (thinner than my Shiro too).

CogMTEbh.jpg

YuFAsS3h.jpg

However the smooth one is my 2013 Sterile NonFlipper - just sublime.

Sleuths,

I had a Rockstead shin that was absolutely gorgeous. Why did I sell it? One; it was too small for me, I thought long and hard about the size before I got it, but in hand feel is a lot different than my imagination. Two; the cost of ownership and repair worries. I live in Canada and knives don't always make the trip back.

If I were to find a model with good ergos for my hand, and our border security wasn't retarded I would definitely consider another one.

They are VERY well made and smooth, and mine had a jewel like feeling to it. A very special knife, but I knew it wasn't going to make it into rotation.

I agree about just putting your own edge on it when it comes time to sharpen. That's a lot of miles for a knife to travel to get the edge tuned up.

After all said and done, I'm after another Shrogorov before I venture back to Rockstead. I know they have the goods I'm looking for. (F3 CF)

Nice knife and pics, Officer's Match Officer's Match . What's the blade thickness on the Skinny Slicer?
Blade is .140" (3.5mm), as is the lock side and the presentation side. Standard 3.5" XM's are .165/.165/.165, and fatties are .185/.185/.185, so the difference is quite noticeable. In a skinny slicer, the XM is a completely different animal.

Back